PDA

View Full Version : PPL renewal after 2 Years vs Military FAT

scottyhs
10th Jan 2011, 15:22
Hi guys,

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to count a FAT on a grob tutor as a License proficiency check for renewal of a PPL? Im hoping thats the case as the FHT on EFT can be counted as a skills test, so hopefully the same is true for the FAT counting as a proficiency check.

Many thanks

BEagle
10th Jan 2011, 16:06
No, an SEP Class Rating revalidation LPC has a specific content and must be flown with a CAA-authorised Flight Examiner.

However, if all that is required is completion of the 'dual training flight' element of revalidation by experience, then a FAT may count. I secured a policy agreement from the CAA on 7 Aug 2001 as follows:

I refer to your letter dated 14 July 2001 and our conversation last week regarding the dual instructional flight required for SEP Class Rating revalidation.

I can confirm that any instructional flight or check flight conducted by a military instructor/examiner where required during the course of a pilot's service duties will satisfy the dual flight with an instructor requirement. This will include military IR check flights.

Flights conducted by a military QFI but not required as part of service duties will not be acceptable for this purpose.

The EFT FHT in lieu of a PPL Skill Test is an initial issue credit only; thereafter you have to meet the same revalidation requirement as anyone else.

What is/was the expiry date of your SEP Class Rating?

scottyhs
10th Jan 2011, 20:10
SEP Class rating expired August 10. Sadly i met the relevant take offs and landings but didnt satisfy the 1 hour with a CAA examiner.

However now flying on the AEF i was hoping the requirements could be met whilst on the AEF, As the expiry date has been and gone it looks like i will need to do the LPC to revalidate!

BEagle
10th Jan 2011, 21:03
SEP Class rating expired August 10. Sadly i met the relevant take offs and landings but didnt satisfy the 1 hour with a CAA examiner.

Assuming you had flown 12 hours SEP between Aug 09 and Aug 10 including 12 take-offs and landings, of which 6 hours SEP were as PIC and 1 hour was with a QFI, there would have been no need to have flown with a CAA Examiner in order to revalidate your SEP Class Rating - you would merely have needed to show him/her your logbook and licence before Aug 10. The signature may not be given retrospectively.

Your SEP Class Rating has now expired, so your will need to renew (not revalidate) your Rating by flying an LST (not LPC) with an authorised Flight Examiner.....

But because there is an ANO exemption which allows military pilots to fly civil-registered aircraft in the course of their duties without holding a valid civil licence (an archaic exemption which could well disappear under EASA as there is no real need for it these days), you can still log your hours in a civil logbook and take civilian passengers flying in the course of your duties. Something which would have the book thrown at you if you were a civil pilot.....