PDA

View Full Version : Owner Drivers

Cirronimbus
10th Jan 2011, 10:19
Hi All.

Just wondering if buying an aircraft and working as an 'owner/driver' is an option in the GA world?

Does anyone out there know if it is feasible to lease your own aircraft to a company and get some work out of the deal as well?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this idea; both positive and negative. Please share your views.

Cheers,

Cn

Checkboard
10th Jan 2011, 11:46
No. The two things - leasing an aircraft, and crewing it are so different. To place another aircraft online means hiring two to five more pilots (depending on type and operation) to crew it. A company with that much extra work will have already organised a lease.

In any case, asking them to accept a pilot with lower qualifications than their usual standard (which is what you are asking) as part of a lease agreement would be seen as unprofessional, to say the least - and so they would screw you on the lease deal. If you have that much extra cash (enough to purchase an aircraft) then you may as well set up your own company.

YPJT
10th Jan 2011, 13:24
Checkboard has summed it up 100%.

Cirronimbus
10th Jan 2011, 22:31
Hi,

Thanks for the responses so far. Just for the record, no, I don't have enough money to buy my own plane (bummer), let alone start a company. I was just wondering if such things happen in GA. Fair point about qualifications (depending on experience of the owner).

I remember seeing an ad placed by a Commercial pilot who had his own Cessna who was seeking work for him and his aircraft. Perhaps that is organised under a contract for a specified task/time?

Thanks again for the reponses.

Cheers,

Cn

Desert Duck
11th Jan 2011, 05:14
Some years ago a pilot made a living doing just that out of Jandakot - if I recall he operated a PA31-310

tail wheel
11th Jan 2011, 05:24
Cirronimbus. You haven't thought that through, have you?

If you don't have the equity or assets to buy an aircraft, how will you fund any pre operating maintenance costs, modification costs to meet commercial operating standards, hull and passenger liability insurance etc?

CASA may also view the arrangement as "borrowing" an AOC, which introduces a whole new can of worms to the exercise.

And all that is in addition to the fact you are going to get screwed by any operator and only given minimal utilisation which that operator can't conduct in it's own aircraft.

Bad idea.

aileron_69
11th Jan 2011, 08:42
I dunno there tailwheel, if done the right way it could work, but not so much in the owner/driver sense. If you leased the aircraft to the company, and then worked for them too, ie other pilots would fly your aircraft as well then it wouldnt work too badly. Especially as you can then keep an eye on your plane.
A bit different from a trucky owner-driver arrangement by a long shot but not unthinkable I wouldnt have thought.

Cirronimbus
11th Jan 2011, 08:59
Hi,

I have to admit that I haven't thought this issue through. That is why I asked for eveyone else's views. I don't know a lot about how it works.

It seems that being an 'owner/driver' is more likely to succeed in industries like trucking or fishing. By the sounds of things, $ for $, it is easier to get into road transport for meagre returns, a bit more expensive to get into the maritime field for better $, but disproportionately more expensive to get into aviation for much smaller returns. That is, $ for $, returns are higher in road and maritime industries for 'owner/operator' type people than they are in aviation. Is that right?

I understand (and accept) that the aviation industry is governed strictly to ensure a higher level of safety than road or sea transport; is it CASA that makes it a difficult proposition?

To put another angle on the one that aileron-69 proposed; if a would-be owner/operator bought shares in the company (instead of providing the aircraft; ie the shares pay for it and other pilots fly it too); what would be the difference (other than experience of the pilot)?

Just wondering.

Cn

huntsman
12th Jan 2011, 06:58
could it be done - yes.
is it done - not very often
why - because it's generally too expensive/risky for the applicant

if you'd like to go ahead with something like this, do a lot of research on the operator, and get a proper legal agreement/lease put in place.

same theory goes for buying shares in the company.
worst case you'd do your dough.
best case - you'd get better $ (paid for aircraft AND your wages) and maybe get a start (first job/twin/turbine) when you otherwise would be looked over due to insufficient experience (if you are lower on experience)