PDA

View Full Version : Free Ryanair Application?????

lrjt24
27th Nov 2001, 19:35
How inconsistent can Ryanair be or are they limited maybe by non UK (eg EU) regulations?

If you enter their website via any of the foreign language and proceed to jobs and flight deck application from there, they do not charge you the 50 quid!!!

Does this mean you will be entered in the new or the 'deleted' old data base. Go figure. :D :D :D
http://www.ryanair.com/flemish/jobs.html

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: lrjt45 ]

A Very Civil Pilot
27th Nov 2001, 21:14
Regulations prevent employment agencies from charging you a fee to find you a job. Should this not apply to employers? :confused:

In the link above, Ryanair state that FO pay rises to £70,600. Wasn't there a thread a few weeks back with their starting pay at £6,500?

bravo.lima
28th Nov 2001, 18:07
Hate to spoil the party but no application is processed without credit card details.

IRTJ45: thanks for pointing that out, we'll have it fixed shortly

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: The Henchman ]

Billy the Kid
28th Nov 2001, 18:50
Mr Henchman. I stumped up the £50 to send an on-line application some three weeks ago. Haven't heard a sausage in return. I understood a confirmation would be sent. There appears to be no way of contacting the people who deal with these applictions without disadvantaging ones position.

Any pointers??

moggie
28th Nov 2001, 19:41
Come on Billy the Kid - did you REALLY expect an airline that has the reputation that Ryanair have to play fair?

Just wait until Mrs O'Leary goes christmas shopping with your credit card number!

Aerial Anarchist
28th Nov 2001, 19:52
This whole concept of making proffesional people beg/pay for a job will eventualy flash back over these unpleasent folk at Ryanair.the last laugh will be ........

xsimba
29th Nov 2001, 00:37
Billy, sorry mate but I don't have any sympathy. If you were stupid enough to cough up your dough then you deserve what you get (or don't get!)

I would be well and truly into my redundancy pay out if I had to send £50 with each CV.

Ignore Ryanair and apply to an airline that might actually treat you with a bit more respect.

Billy the Kid
29th Nov 2001, 01:41
You're probably right, what did I really expect. However I need a job and I have the hours on type. So really I'm in no position to make a stand, against what is outright explotation of the recent sad events in the industry.

However, I have received some messages from other ppruners in the same position.

My position is this; I took the fee on face value(reluctantly) and expected at least a reply. Yes it is outrageous but I thought Ryanair was a professional outfit even though very cut-throat.
Now my understanding of the situation is that when I paid the money I entered into a contract. I effectively bought a service from Ryanair. The service was to a) store my application on there computer for one year. b) They would inform me of receipt of the on-line application within 5 days.
Seeing as Ryanair didn't reply within a reasonable time or send me a receipt of the transaction then simply they have broken the law.
Whether Ireland has a fair trading act I'm not sure. I understand there is EU law to cover remote transactions.
The beauty of the situation is that I used a credit card. So I'll ask their legal people tomorrow, what chance there is of getting my money back after being ripped off by Ryanair.
I think this may be time to call the Trading Standards Office,Watchdog or the papers, because this really is starting to look like a scam.
I'm just wondering what sort of numbers of honest pilots could be involved?

fergineer
29th Nov 2001, 02:31
Billy, that little "threat" should have them bouncing about. They will now reply to you tout suite however if they don't know who you are they will have to reply to everyone, good call mate and good luck in the future with them. :D

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: fergineer ]

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Nov 2001, 02:45
Errr.............. Silly Billy!!! :rolleyes:

lrjt24
29th Nov 2001, 03:54
It has now been over 24 hours since Henchman (what an awful appropriate nickname) posted his reply and admitted there might be a loophole in the webapplication process. (with no correction in said process)

Meanwhile genuine 732/738? type rated pilots get ignored, contrary to the guarantee that they will be contacted. This does appear the greatest scam after 09-11. Ryanair obviously does not seem to care about its people or its prospective employees, let me not even begin to mention the treatment of its stranded passengers (as the local magistrates agree, see earlier tread).

In times like this I really do appreciate working for a company who appreciates my effort, and rewards me accordingly.

Maybe I am ranting and raving a little but I could not let this go. It is a shame when a supposed reputable company uses and abuses the like of us just to show a better return on investment. There is more to a company than the annual balance sheet, it is the people and their attitude that will make and break any company.

I sincerely hope that some of Ryanair's employees (and not only the drivers) will finally say enough is enough and make a stand...

I feel sorry for all the wannabees and furloughed pilots who forked up their £50.00 and got sweet F*** ALL. :mad: :mad: :mad:

dick badcock
29th Nov 2001, 04:16
Ryanair is a scam. The only people I know who got 'jobs' with them after 11-09 actually marched up to their office in DUB and made a deal (they were all cadets that were dropped by EI). I am rated on the B737 with an Irish licence as well as having an SFI rating on the B737. I applied before they started this £50 crap and even then said they would provide a confirmation of receipt of app. NOT. D.Dy is the most unserious guy around. In all honesty I would rather go around unemployed than work for that crowd regardless of 'the money'.

Did you guys hear about the Yugoslav skip with Ryanair who decided to shut down an engine on finals (with pax onboard) because he had his PC the following week and thought he needed the practice? I know he's gone now, but come on...

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: dick badcock ]

bravo.lima
29th Nov 2001, 12:46
One swallow doesnt make a summer and one guy who says he hasnt got a reply doesnt make a 'scam'

FR have hired, will continue to hire and only hire pilots through the £50 application process FACT

FR respond to all applicants who pay the fee and meet the minimum criteria FACT

Billy- You should have at least recieved confirmation by now, perhaps some of your details were missing ??

Billy the Kid
29th Nov 2001, 13:02
Thanks for your reply Mr Henchman, no reply as yet.
The problem is there is no way to contact the office to sort the situation out.
(Prehaps you could send me a private message using the icon above this post).
Also I have been contacted through the board by several people in the same situation.

GIZUSAJOB
29th Nov 2001, 13:24
Under the circumstances I think it quite fair
for pilots to charge 100 pounds sterling to Ryanair in order that they may receive a C.V from a professional pilot.

Remember No PILOTS = NO AIRLINE

Let the games begin

jimbob
29th Nov 2001, 13:50
Well spoken XSIMBA!!!! Why do you guys even spend your valuable time on a company like Ryanair???? It seems like they treat new-hires (and applicants) like dirt.
I also heard that if you are being called for an interview you have to throw away another 150 euro or so and if, or when, you go for sim-ride - away goes another 100.....This is bull****!!!!! Wake up guys/gals!!!! Do you really wanna work for a company like this???

I know that we have some rough times ahead but just hang in there...For those of you with the right attitude ( NOT the ones chasing Ryanair for a slave job!!) other jobs will eventually pop up......

Good luck!!!
:mad:

skyclamp
29th Nov 2001, 14:04
OK then, how about Excel. Does anyone know what they're like, pay, bases, conditions, happiness etc...

Obi Wan Kirk
29th Nov 2001, 14:50
Hi Skyclamp,

I am starting with Excel in the new year. They are a very friendly airline. I was interviewed before 11/09 and was due to start on 1 Nov, but things postponed until Jan 2002.

The contract will be unto end of Oct 2002 and there is a reduced salary sheme because they can't bond you for training. Chief Pilot told me he can't predict what the market will be like beyond Oct 2002. I think this is fair and I'm very grateful to have a flying job to go to in the new year.

Apparently they are taking on some of the Virgin and BM guys that were made redundant.

Sick
30th Nov 2001, 00:42
OWK Admittedly my info is second hand, but I have just heard one of my former colleagues has been made redundant from Excel.

skyclamp
30th Nov 2001, 13:28
OWK,

Thanks for that. What about the rest, how many aircraft, crews, what rosters, nightstops, does anyone know?

Darbo
30th Nov 2001, 16:28
I work for Excel and I'm not aware of any redundancies. Good to work for with bases in LGW and MAN. Sensible attitudes seem to prevail, unlike a few other airlines I could mention ........

Obi Wan Kirk
30th Nov 2001, 18:44
Hi Skyclamp,

Excel have 5 B737-800s, two based at MAN and three at Gatwick. Going by what I was told there are very few night stops but you do get night charters to fly. Roster is fairly stable, you get one every two weeks and you don't get many changes.
There are rumours that if the industry picks up Excel will get other aircraft. In airliner world a couple of months ago it was mentioned that they'll be basing a B737 at Bristol.

On the whole it's a small airline without ambitions of operating 30+ airplanes in the next couple of years. I reckon it could be more secure than other airlines.

Dirty Harry
30th Nov 2001, 22:20
In my opinion this is an unacceptable practice, which is clearly taking advantage of those that effectively have no choice but to pay if they wish to work. Does anyone know if Ryanair are taking the £50 applications from applicants that are not type rated, or otherwise do not meet the minimum requirements? Billy the kid, I think you have made some good points here, I hope you here something soon. As a point of interest I will check out the “charging for application” laws, and post the findings in a thread.

skyclamp
1st Dec 2001, 14:06
Darbo, OWK thanks for the info.

When I spoke to Excel's MS she said there is a 6 months contract at £4.2K/pcm this is low, but they can't bond you. So if you become full time as a direct entry captain, what's the basic pay?
A BRS base would be nice! I'll call next week.

Obi Wan Kirk
1st Dec 2001, 14:27
Hi SKYCLAMP,

Basic pay for a full-time Captain should be around £ 48,000 per year. My feeling is the people that Excel will take on early next year will be offered permanent contracts later on. This is only my opinion based on the industry starting already to pick-up and the British people still going on holiday. Come September 2002 things will be back to normal, if terrorists don't do some other flying stint...

NO AUTOLAND
6th Dec 2001, 19:37
Can anyone help me please?

I have completed an on-line application with Ryanair more than 3 weeks ago. I had not received an acknowledgement, but now it also turns out that there was no fee charged from my credit card either.

I have tried to call all the Ryanair numbers that I have, but none of them are accessible or in use.

What's the best I can do except re-applying or giving up?

Thanks for the help!

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: NO AUTOLAND ]

allianceair
6th Dec 2001, 19:55
The way you guys grumble and fret about things makes me wonder why you all became professional pilots. Think about those poor blokes in the third world who would be happy with any job.

NO AUTOLAND
6th Dec 2001, 20:04
I am not grumbling, just trying to find out what went wrong that's all...