PDA

View Full Version : CAA medical dispute.

funkyt111
9th Jan 2011, 15:51
Hi there,

Once the CAA have made a decision that I have to wait X amount of time before I am eligible for a class 1 medical certificate due to a past illness, is it possible to dispute this decision or have it over turned??

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Funky

beany
9th Jan 2011, 20:13
Hi,

Have you asked them? They may (should) have a formal complaints/appeal process that you should follow. If this is the case, asking them in the first instance is probably a good plan so you have a framework to adhere to wrt any further assessment etc that you may need. That way you're less likely to spend lots of time, effort (and money!) on following routes that may lead to nothing.

Good luck!

B

Piltdown Man
9th Jan 2011, 21:51
From what I have seen, the UK CAA is probably one of the World's most progressive organisations with regard to medical affairs. They'll get everybody that they possibly can in the air so if they are saying you have to wait a few months, I would.

PM

Spitoon
10th Jan 2011, 04:43
The CAA Regulations (I think it's reg 6) include an appeal process for decisions that you don't agree with. Although it lists certain types of decision as eligible I think they are fairly liberal when interpreting it - I'm not sure whether medical issues are on the list.

As Piltdown says, they're very good at finding ways to enable someone to hold a medical - although, in fairness, I think they put their efforts into those who already have a medical and career. Nonetheless, I doubt that they put hurdles in your way for no good reason.

If you can bear to wait the X time, I suggest that you do - although I can understand that the period specified might affect your feelings.

funkyt111
10th Jan 2011, 20:29
Hey guys,

Thanx for your responses.

They said I would have to wait 5 years in order to be eligible for certification of a class 1. This to me is extremely excessive and having spoke with my consultant, he thinks so too. Im 23 years old and I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic leukemia when i was 19. I completed treatment in may of last year and am now fitter than most with no current health problems. The 2 concerns the CAA had was that some of the chemotherapy treatment (anthrocyclines) I recieved can be damaging to the heart. The other concern was the risk of relapse in the spinal fluid. Having said that, I have had ECG's done and echo cardiogram (i think thats how you say it lol) and they show a perfectly fuctioning heart. Blood tests, urine tests etc etc are completly normal including the heamoglobin levels. My consultant said any problems with the heart is like to come during treatment or 20-30 years after. Rarely in between. With regards to relapsing in the spinal fluid. If this happened, it would not be incapacitating and I would still be more than capable of flying a plane.
Obviously if I relapsed then id expect my class 1 to be taken off me. And the chances of relapse in leukemia in my age group is small. Also, I had a favourable diagnosis!

For a person that is fitter and healthier than most currently running around 15 miles per week, I dont see why the CAA cannot grant me a class 1 on the grounds that I stay fit and healthy and have yearly check ups and if any illnesses were to return then they could suspend my class 1. I understand that if I had already had a class 1 before diagnosis then it would be a lot easier to get the class 1 back. Which I dont understand...

I know a pilot who currently flys with people with one eye and another a guy with 1 arm. This, I find hard to understand...

There's the detailed info guys!

Thanks again for your responses.

zero1
11th Jan 2011, 13:15
I suspect your immediate fitness will not be in question. However, the CAA are a cautious lot and with a number illness they base their judgement on statically analysis of the recurrence/recovery time. You should also note that aero medical requirements are different to that required for ground based career due to the environment you will be exposed to. This is perhaps not an area your consultant will be aware of or have expertise in
Now have said that, you need to investigate this further to build a case that might support the CAA to reconsider the 5 year period. Perhaps the following might be points to look into:
1. What do other organisations ask for such as the FAA for a class 1 medical with this past condition?
2. Could you and your consultant suggesting some form of checks to be completed every year to obviate the risk?
3. I am not a doctor but your consultant might be able to provide statistics on post recovery outcomes that might support your case?
As a previous post mentioned the CAA try their best to get people flying but there are limitation due to international medical standards, which they have to adhere to. So in summary you need to get the evidence together before you request a CAA review, if the CAA can help they will. Good luck :)

pulse1
11th Jan 2011, 15:51
funkyt111,

If you haven't already I would ask your consultant to write to the CAA although I would be surprised if they haven't asked for this anyway.

I was not quite in your position with a current Class 2 medical when diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukaemia. The CAA warned me that it would be a long time before I could fly again but, thanks to a very positive response to treatment and a superb consultant, I was cleared to fly only 5 months after diagnosis. As you say, it may be easier if you already have a medical but why that should be so, I have no idea.

funkyt111
11th Jan 2011, 19:36
Zero1, Pulse and Socal,

My consultant is willing to do everything for me to be able to start my flying career so regular tests per year would not be a problem. He has already wrote two favourable reports about the issues concerned by the CAA.

With regards to statistics. This is where it becomes difficult. I was treated on a trial protocol called UKALL2003 for which they have seen tremendous results. Cure rates have reached 80%. However. As the trial has not finished no official reports have been released. So its hard for my consulant to say "He was treated on this protocol and the chance of relapse are X" because the reports have not been published yet. The only concern with the chemotherapy I had was the anthryocyclines affecting the heart but like I said, Ive had several tests done and they all show a perfectly fuctioning heart :) I suppose the best thing to do is to keep argueing on the basis of facts and my prognostic factors.

Thankyou for the help!

Funky

Floppy Link
22nd Jan 2011, 12:47
The CAA's own flowchart for Anthracycline treatment says 1 year for initial Class One, not 5 years. I would quote their own protocol back at them and see where you get.

It took me the advertised 6 months from the final chemotherapy dose to get my Class One medical back. (I had the Vincristine stuff too, as well as 4 others whose names I can't pronounce, let alone spell!)

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/Anthracycline-CL1_May%2010.pdf

...the heart but like I said, Ive had several tests done and they all show a perfectly fuctioning heart...
Me too...but it's "perfectly functioning" right up to the point where the long tern side effect appears...like you said it's a long term appearance of a side effect after years and years that they are concerned about. It's 5 years since I was ill and I'm quite happy to have the yearly followup. Kind of like an MOT for the heart. The only reason it hasn't gone to "reduced follow-up requirements" is because I fly single pilot public transport. If I wanted to go back to the airlines it would then go to a 2 yearly MOT.

A return of the initial disease is not a problem in my case due to the non-incapacitating nature. (I had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) so in your case that shouldn't be an issue for them either.

So their issue looks like it's to do with the UKALL2003 thing. I can only reiterate the advice that others have given...talk to CAA medical, they are genuinely there to help (they don't get performance related pay on how many medicals to revoke per year). Send them copies of all reports, get your consultant to copy them in on all letters and so on. Be polite and logical, get your doc to address their concerns and see where you get.

Good luck!

Russell

p.s. did you find prednisolone horrible too?

funkyt111
24th Jan 2011, 21:48
Floppy link...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post!!

Im very confused at the CAA's reply to me. My consultant sent them details of my diagnosis, prognosis etc and they sent a lengthy reply (including a flow chart relating to anthracycline treatment) and it clearly stated on there that I needed to wait a minimum of 3 years. (strange considering the flow chart you just sent me and it CLEARLY states 1 year lol. Maybe there's was out of date).

However, due to the nature of the disease they did also say that there was a risk of relapse in the central nervous system (which I was aware of) and therfore stated I would have to wait 5 years before I could be considered for a class 1. :( :S

It seems a recieved the same chemotherapy drugs as you did. Vincristine, doxorubicin, etc etc. I recieved dexamethasone as well and predinsalone and both of them were HELL! Absolute hell. I was different person and I cannot even begin to explain the amount of other problems they caused!

I guess I'll just have to keep writing to them with more reports from my doc etc in hope that they re-consider me on an individual basis! Fortunately, I had a favourable diagnosis so surely that will work in my favour of gaining a class 1.

Im confident though after reading your post! MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Thankyou,

Funky.