View Full Version : PPRuNe problem

axefurabz
9th Jan 2011, 11:18
I often get nagged by the forum because I haven't posted recently. So, the other day, I tried to reply to a thread. However, I couldn't copy text, couldn't quote text, can't use bold, italic, etc. or use smilies. I still can't use any of those things here :-( I haven't knowingly changed anything - any thoughts?

axefurabz
9th Jan 2011, 11:20
Hmm, I see it wouldn't let me use paragraphs either!

BOAC
9th Jan 2011, 11:52
Copy and paste text has nothing to do with PPrune - it is a basic computer function. You should be able to highlight/copy/paste?

Regarding the rest, User CP/Edit Options/Editor - at the bottom - I guess you have 'basic text box' selected?

axefurabz
9th Jan 2011, 16:20
<I guess you have 'basic text box' selected> Negative. I *was* able to copy that from your message but unable to turn it into a quote. As for the rest - I'm prepared to believe it but I don't have the problem on other forums or with other programs.

BOAC
9th Jan 2011, 17:08
I guess you have 'basic text box' - what DO you have selected, then?

Saab Dastard
9th Jan 2011, 17:38
According to the site admins, 99% of problems get resolved by deleting cookies and clearing the browser cache of downloaded temporary files. :8

So please go ahead and try that. You obviously only have to delete cookies from PPRUNE and IB.

Do you have NoScript and / or AdBlock running? Over-zealous use of these can block necessary stuff from the PPRuNe site. You CAN block ibpxl.com, but you CANNOT block ibsrv.net without severe loss of functionality.

SD

axefurabz
10th Jan 2011, 16:13
Hi BOAC - thanks for your continuing interest. It's currently at Enhanced Interface - full WYSIWYG Editing. Saab D - yes, I should have tried that. Will do shortly. Pretty sure that I have neither of the two progs you mention. Actually, I should try a different machine. Back soon!

axefurabz
10th Jan 2011, 16:17
So what happens now? :rolleyes:

Ahah! Obviously the laptop!! :\

Thanks for your help guys. :ok:

BOAC
10th Jan 2011, 21:01
Do you see ANY images? EG http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/128156-dedicated-home-brilliant-pics-ah-n-merged.html ? Are you saying you do not have the yellow 'Quote' icon above the box? What about 'Bold' etc?

axefurabz
10th Jan 2011, 22:08
I can see the smilies and text editing features well enough; it's just that when I click on them. nothing happens. I've cleared the cache but it doesn't seem to have helped. Hey ho, just part of the joy of computers!

BOAC
11th Jan 2011, 07:35
Hmm! beats me! What happened on the laptop? By the way, which OS/browser?

Exascot
11th Jan 2011, 11:44
OK folks, tell me I haven’t searched, been through all the posts and FAQ thoroughly enough if you wish. But, please could someone tell me how to do one of those really neat ‘quote’ boxes when referring to a paragraph in a post.

Many thanks.

Mike-Bracknell
11th Jan 2011, 13:19
You put the word 'quote' in between a set of square brackets to open the quote, and then you put '/quote' in between another set of square brackets to close the quote.

(don't use the ' characters in the above though).

Exascot
11th Jan 2011, 14:14
You put the word 'quote' in between a set of square brackets to open the quote, and then you put '/quote' in between another set of square brackets to close the quote.

Like this?

Many thanks Mike.

green granite
11th Jan 2011, 14:22
and if you put 'quote=Mike-Bracknell' between square brackets at the start you end up with:

Exascot
11th Jan 2011, 14:33
and if you put 'quote=Mike-Bracknell' between square brackets at the start you end up with:

My dear chap, please don't, I will start get carried away with this. Next you will be telling me how to insert pictures. By the way, 'greening' on this remote Greek island means drinking Heineken. Indeed one just asks for a 'green'. Just thought I would share that one with you and open another 'green' to celebrate my new-found knowledge.

Cheers;)

By the way, 'greening' on this remote Greek island means drinking Heineken. Indeed one just asks for a 'green'. See, I told you I would get carried away. To this end I guess 'Green Granite' would indicate being 'stoned':ugh:

Sorry!

axefurabz
11th Jan 2011, 23:06
By the way, which OS/browser? XP and Firefox on both machines.

and if you put 'quote=Mike-Bracknell' between square brackets at the start you end up with: - that's cool! Didn't know that. :ok: