PDA

View Full Version : Understanding flight crew's English

DaHai
8th Jan 2011, 01:19
In 2008 I posed a few questions in the "Engineers & Technicians" forum regarding any problems experienced by flight crew and engineers during arrival and push back etc. At that time I was writing a Line Maintenance Communication course in China. It is now time to modify/improve what was done. In thinking about it, I should have of course asked the same question in this forum. For the complete question, if anyone is interested, please search under "Dahai".
Approaching the problem from a slightly different angle, I would appreciate any comments on how difficult is it to understand the spoken and written English of foreign, i.e. non-native English speaking crews. Is the main problem in understanding numbers, colours, location, short sentences, what is written in the aircraft log, written defects etc?
If anyone could further assist with some examples, be it in understanding "standard expressions" or the "non-standard" problems, I would greatly appreciate it.
I expect in most cases, a problem experienced in China in handling native English speakers and crews speaking English as a second language, is possibly similar to a problem experienced in other countries.
Again, I would appreciate any pertinent comments. I will also post this in the flight crew forum, for their perspective.
Best wishes