View Full Version : Did a cup of coffee fell my computer?

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2011, 04:29
Java. It had been so persistent of late. 'Later,' I told it...maybe one too many times.

We'd picked a movie, and apart from Java update flashing away, we were all set to pause the film and grab the food.

Total crash.

Various diags and self repair, and still Windows 7 pro said it couldn't repair itself. I had a hunch, based on the cursor not moving. I got a new mouse. No help at all.

Really, really difficult getting around from the keyboard. So many things just didn't respond. Then after half an hour of memory checks and the like,
I thought of :mad: Java. I still feel the shame as I admit I let it install.

Everything burst back into life. Systems came on line as though I'd just zapped the Klingons.

Could any program from a formally well-respected company have caused so much chaos?

mixture
6th Jan 2011, 10:41
A Java update trashing your computer ?

Highly unlikely.

Never say never as they say, but I very much doubt that was the cause of your disastrous crash.

Mike-Bracknell
6th Jan 2011, 10:55
I concur with Mr Mixture above.

Avitor
6th Jan 2011, 11:07
This is nothing more than a 'Me too' observation. My cursor became stationary...nothing I could do.

The end result, following much work with a 2lb lump hammer and chisel, was a replacement s/h computer and, for certain helpful PPRuNe members, a friend slaved my old H/D to the new machine giving me hours of play.

I run Java and have no issues with it.

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2011, 15:50
It was odd. The cursor arrowhead was still stuck in the same place after rebooting -twice.

Looking around in devices and the like was made impossible. I could pick the device, but not get into the driver screen for example.

Java flashing away on the Task Bar was the clue.:8

After half an hour of trying a bit of this and a bit of that...i.e. stabbing in the dark, allowing the install to finish made everything come back to normal (I hope)

One thing: Just prior to the crash, the entire (Netflix) screen grayed out. I've seen this before, but last time I got it back by random prodding, or simply chance. This time, it was the end of the Windows session.

Windows recognized the fault and put a DOS type screen up telling me something - implying hardware - had probably gone TU. It then took me through 20mins of trying to repair or diagnose the fault. It said sorry, but it couldn't. Would I like to report it.

I was just shy of board-stripping when the Java thing showed again.

I ran it for quite a while after the event, I'll try it tonight and see what happens.