PDA

View Full Version : how to log hours: FAA vs JAR?

tornadogr4
6th Jan 2011, 01:04
hey everyone.
i did my PPL in the UK and logged time as either PIC, PUT or PICUS. however, i went to the USA to do my FAA IR and CPL, and have been tought to log time in the states differently from PUT. there are 2 sections in my US log book. 1 section for who was in command, where i put P1 and another section stating Dual Recieved, where i would log instruction time of the flight.
so when i convert to the JARs, how do i convert that time? does it become PICUS, PIC or PUT? in the FAA eyes, its P1 with dual instruction, but doesnt that make it PUT then?
thanks

punk666
6th Jan 2011, 07:05
Under JAR you cant be PIC and receive instruction at the same time...so if you have logged it as FAA then when it comes to JAA it will all come under training time.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jan 2011, 07:21
The only time I've ever logged PiC when there was any kind of instructor on board was when either (a) I was already qualified as PiC just being checked out, or (b) passing a skills test. I've never used PiCUS in 21 years of flying, split mostly between the UK and US.

G

tornadogr4
8th Jan 2011, 18:26
looks like a question for the CAA LASORS but i think my fears are correct, and im getting the same impression from the answers of everybody i talked to already...P1+ dual received is considered PUT. :( scrapping my FAA single engine CPL in lieu of time building now :(