PDA

View Full Version : helmet cams

Rotorwashed
5th Jan 2011, 21:42
how many of you guys wear helmet cams while flying? im looking for one that attaches to a DC headset. any recommendations?

Runway101
6th Jan 2011, 00:10
I've used the GoPro Hero HD on my helmet, but actually never inside a helicopter. It is actually an outdoor action camera, but the autofocus mode can be changed so it works well inside too ("like if you are filming from the inside of a rally car" according to the user guide, this would make sure the camera doesn't focus on the close objects like the dash board).

It's a wide angle lens, with the best image quality I've seen for an action cam (different HD modes, also 60hz mode), and there are plenty of mount kits that you can get for it (suction, helmet, straps, mountain bike, chest mount). Not sure how it mounts on a headset though. Might be tricky to get it to stay in place. But to be honest, a fixed camera looks much better than one mounted on your head in my opinion.

Search gopro here on pprune and on youtube, you'll find plenty. And check the official web site for the mount kits.

Fixed position:
_Dm3K2VK_aE

Helmet mount:
Fr5zFoSs-cU

Qwikstop
6th Jan 2011, 07:25
I have used a "bullet cam" attached to the headset. It has an external mic that can record the RT. This system comes with a little screen so you can ensure the picture is level before you start.

7AjSTABXHKU

Fergus Kavanagh
6th Jan 2011, 17:33
ContourHD is another option.

For headmount use 60 frames/sec to avoid pan framerate stagger.
110deg gives less distortion than 135.

Sample;

RNltDLBCosw

heliski22
6th Jan 2011, 22:40
Slightly away from the intended area of operation under discussion, but evidence of the durability of the GoPro as an externally mounted helmet cam used by son and overdraft (as distinct from son and heir, you understand!).

zagZHP71Oaw

Rotorwashed
7th Jan 2011, 00:47
qwikstop: how does the external mic on your bulletcam record the coms?

chopperchappie
7th Jan 2011, 08:45
Depends if you want;

Cheap
Intermediate
Good Quality / Easy Life

You can pick up a really cheap simple micro-cam with a few various brackets for about £30 from the cpc website. It is difficult to find though;
CNM LIFESTYLE|MD90-CAM|CAMERA, DIGITAL, MINI, BLK+2GB | CPC (http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=CS19768)
Works OK but not brilliant quality.

As mentioned elsewhere there's the GoPro circa £200

But I just noticed (haven't seen or used) the Nflightcam Cockpit HD GPS Video System (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Nflightcam-Cockpit-Video-Camera-Nflightcam-Cockpit-HD-GPS-Video-System+7349) on the transair website - looks sweet and has an adapter for recording by plugging into the intercom (but I bet it wont have a helicopter plug with it). Circa £300+

All of the above are better suited to mounting in the cockpit but the Oregon Scientific does actually come with a helmet mount - although everyone I know that has tried this series of cameras for mountain biking or track-days normally come back with pictures of the road or the sky - so might take some trial and error...
ATC9K HD Action Camera (http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Oregon_Scientific_ATC9K?gclid=COvvosDop6YCFVBO4QodwSQdaQ)

Circa £1-200 depending on HD etc.

CC

Qwikstop
7th Jan 2011, 09:17
Rotorwashed: it has a small external mic that I put in the earcup of the headset. It's not ideal but works well enough.

murdock
8th Jan 2011, 01:32
GoPro is the only way to go. I use the Hero HD on my helmet, inside and outside the helicopter. Plus it works for so many other things. Great for sports of any kind. Goes to 180 feet underwater too. I capture images and video that I never would have been able to do before, being able to show people what it looks like for some of the things we do. Great price too.

mickjoebill
8th Jan 2011, 06:27
Box shape of the gopro is not ideal for use on a helmet.
In general I'd recommend the lipstick form factor for helmets.
There are new models of the lipstick models being released regularly, one was launched a few weeks back for firemen's helmets $290. (but it is lower res 720p than gopro 1080p, gopro also does 5mp stills)
Wix.com - Website built by firecam based on Blank Website (http://www.fc2camera.com)

Gopro is highest quality with excellent auto everything, they are being used regularly for short shots in TV commercials. Beware that transcoding is required to edit the footage in some apps. A clip-on monitor screen will be launched soon for the gopro. I hope they make a version in lipstick form factor as they are ahead of the rest of the field.

Beware that being a rolling shutter cmos sensor they impart a "jello effect" on the image if the camera is oscillated or vibrated. Not critical for home use but a deal breaker for high end data gathering.
Rigid plastic self adhesive velcro pads are a reliable, cheap form of non permanent frangible mounting that does not compromise the integrity of a helmet.

Mickjoebill

gliderpilotuk
1st Apr 2011, 13:41
I'm looking for an HD min-cam to mount in a glider cockpit and possibly externally. The GoPro has rave reviews but no LCD for aiming or playback (although you can buy an add-on for £90, making a very clunky piece of kit). Not sure if it has remote IR either. The Oregon ATC9K does have a screen and is more streamlined, has IR and is waterproof to 20ms without a separate housing. Some reviews slate the quality of the mounts/brackets, though and battery life is 50% of the GoPro. The Drift HD170 has IR and a screen but is a bit larger.

Does anyone have any experience with the Oregon or the Drift and/or comment on the relative quality of output?

HeliChopter
2nd Apr 2011, 17:47
Contour HD. Very good solution, better size and shape than the GoPro. Nothing external though, point, shoot and hope for the best. Its actually the same camera as is being marketed by Transair as the Nflightcam, see chopperchappie's post.

HC

Helinut
2nd Apr 2011, 20:38
The Hero has had a couple of additional options recently: see their website. This includes the ability to connect to external power and new camera back with an LCD screen. Should help to make use of the camera which has really good quality pics/video.

rattle
2nd Apr 2011, 21:10
1080p CamSports HDMax Extreme Helmet Camera (http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/camsports-hdmax-extreme-1080p-helmet-camera.html)

Try this as an alternative to the Go Pro. Built in screen, laser level guide when head mounted.

BlenderPilot
2nd Apr 2011, 21:21
GoPro here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu4oCKFn4xg

Runway101
3rd Apr 2011, 03:39
I've owned both the Oregon ATC9K and the GoPro Hero HD. Forget about the Oregon, GoPro is the way to go. Can't speak about the other models, like Contour etc...

The new LCD add-on for the GoPro is very small, it doesn't make it "clumsy" at all.

Here is a GoPro User forum I found very useful:
GoProUser.freeforums.org • Index page (http://goprouser.freeforums.org/)

allyn
3rd Apr 2011, 09:18
I haven't used one but I've heard good things about the PIO Vio 1.5 (google it). Two attractive features for me are:

- uses 4 x AA batteries (2.5 hrs/alkaline, 5 hrs/lithium)
- A "loop mode" where the camera will film for a user set period of time and then erase and start over again UNLESS the user tags the clip in which case it gets saved. This saves memory and simplifies the editing process later.

You can find reviews for this and other cameras on Youtube...

Monkeyseemonkeyfly
3rd Apr 2011, 11:24
I've used the contour HD during my training. There is a new model out which records full 1080 HD. My camera is only 720 HD but still has excellent picture quality. I used velcro to attach it to my David Clarks, using the little lanyard supplied just in case the velcro let go (It never has). I like the fact that the camera has a built in laser for making sure all is level. Plus the quality is good enough to be able to read the instruments as well as taking in the scenery.

On the down side there is no input for an external mic, so you have to make do with the built in mic which is a bit rubbish.

I looked at the GO PRO but you need to have it facing forward and I thought I'd look even more of a numpty with a box on top of my head.

Hope this helps.

Monkey

birrddog
3rd Apr 2011, 13:58
The Go Pro has a head mounting which works like a night light/miners lamp. It fits comfortably over your head, with the box on your forehead and not on top like a square unicorn.

My only comment on the Go Pro is that the various physical mounts were susceptible to vibrations, which was annoying. Putting it in time lapse mode solved that, and quite frankly was a little more useful than lots of video. Though that is more a matter of personal preference.

heligal
3rd Apr 2011, 14:56
I also saw a lot of vibration when hard mounting to the aircraft. I resolved this for 720p video a few ways:

Mount to the aircraft frame or something attached directly to it. The closer you are to the frame, the less vibration there is.
Use the shortest mount you can. Again, the closer you are to the mounting point, the less vibration there is.
If the camera's case comes very close to the aircraft in any place, use a wad of double-sided tape between it and the aircraft. This not only firms up the mount a tiny bit, but it seems to reduce vibration.

I use an Ultra-clamp with the GoPro tripod mount adapter and clamp to a point on my helicopter's frame.

If you're using the GoPro-provided mounts, be sure to use that white rubbery thing that came with them to reduce vibration in the clip.

Here are two recent examples with my current setup. The first is long with most flight at higher altitude:

xqj87cThZZk

This one is much shorter with mostly low-level flight:

US_v-wGGVLs

I am still unable to capture 1080p video without excessive vibration, despite my use of a Class 10 SD card (increased writing speed) and what I consider a rock-solid mount.

The drawbacks to my current setup are primarily the fact that I can't tilt the camera down. I'm working on that.

heligal
3rd Apr 2011, 15:16
I have a POV.1 setup and am very dissatisfied with the quality of the video. I switched to the GoPro and will likely put my POV.1 equipment on eBay soon.

Just saying...GoPro video quality is far superior than POV.1. IMHO

gliderpilotuk
4th Apr 2011, 13:09
Thanks to everyone for their helpful input. I'm inclined towards the GoPro despite is clunky shape.

Runway101
5th Apr 2011, 06:58
I know this thread is looking more and more like an ad for GoPro, but I just saw that they now offer a 3D helmet mounting system to record full HD 3D footage (using 2 cameras).

GoPro now offers a 3D helmet mounting system that allows extreme sport enthusiasts to record full HD 3D footage. While it costs just $99.99, you’ll need to own, or purchase two 1080p HD HERO cameras, each which cost $259.99. An included synchronization cable connects the two cameras, which record independently in 2D. The provided GoPro Cineform Studio, their 3D editing software, allows you to easily convert the footage to 3D at your discretion. The 3D waterproof housing is rated 180’ and GoPro includes 3 pairs of Anaglyph glasses.

GoPro 3D Helmet Camera Mount Now Available | GadgetReview (http://www.gadgetreview.com/2011/04/gopro-3d-helmet-camera-mount-now-available.html#ixzz1Id5LYKP2)

heliduck
5th Apr 2011, 18:46
Product | Micro video camera system SUV-Cam (http://www.elmo.co.jp/suv-cam/en/product/index.html)

I've been eyeing the Elmo Cam off for a few years now but I haven't been able to get the CAPEX past the minister for financial affairs yet. If anyone has tried it I'd be very interested in the results. I'm looking for something I can use for a helmet mounted pilots eye view of long-lining as well as a fixed installation looking forward.

rotorrookie
5th Apr 2011, 22:55
Here is on I took with gopro, while filming with Cineflex at the volcano that was bugging you europeans last year....
http://vimeo.com/13843442

Machismo
5th Apr 2011, 23:02
I am also a skydiver and we have been using GoPros for quite sometime so I can attest to their quailty. I am wanting to use it for flight instruction as well, my question is, is there a way to have external audio into the video so you can record the cockpit "chatter" as well so my students can hear themselves when they go into controled airspace? Or is this not a function that is offered on a GoPro?

Rotorwashed
6th Apr 2011, 00:23
I am wanting to use it for flight instruction as well, my question is, is there a way to have external audio into the video so you can record the cockpit "chatter" as well so my students can hear themselves when they go into controled airspace? Or is this not a function that is offered on a GoPro?

this is the most important feature for me too. I would rather have audio then great film quality. I know that the nflightcam does this, but it only has the airplane plugs. Ive been thinking about getting one and trying to convert the airplane style plugs to helicopter ones but havent got the budget for it yet.

another thing I thought about trying was getting a bluetooth headset that transmits to a 3.5mm headphone jack so I could plug it into an external audio plug in the camera. then I could just take apart the bluetooth headset and and fit the mic and other important bits inside my headset. I have yet to find a bluetooth headset that would work though

Mungo5
6th Apr 2011, 14:13
this is the most important feature for me too. I would rather have audio then great film quality.

Very true.. it's often the audio that makes the film. Constant wind or engine noise means you're usually left having to take the audio out, or overlay some cheesy music.

I was toying with the idea of a ContourHD or GoPro too.. ended up deciding on the GoPro, but at the same time work bought me a Kodak Zi8 for video blogging.

The Zi8 is about the size of a Blackberry, but importantly has an external mic jack. So i bought a small lavalier mic to slip under the heaphone cup and catch the cockpit audio.

All in all the setup works very well and the video quality is just as good, if not better than the GoPro. Kodak also do a wide angle lens you can add to the Zi8 as well.

Runway101
7th Apr 2011, 06:51
Many of these cameras don't have external audio out of the box, so you need to do it yourself. Here is a way that seems tow work for the GoPro's 30 pin connector (iPod connector I believe, so connectors and breakout boards are available online at stores that fix iDevices and electronic part suppliers):

GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - the GoPro Hero HD "bus" interface (http://goprouser.freeforums.org/the-gopro-hero-hd-bus-interface-t797-70.html#p12362)

I am not sure what kind of signal comes from the audio/com circuit, so there may be more to it than just wiring the audio to audio-in though. I believe I've seen adapters (preamp circuit?) in aviation stores to connect to audio-in for recording... there was also a thread here on pprune a while back with info how to build one yourself.

Also, you could just put the internal microphone on a longer cable and put it on your headset.

Here is a helicopter pilot that shows both methods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Em_bIzc9sQ

birrddog
21st Sep 2011, 04:26
One of the outfits I fly with purchased a Contour+ which impressed me so much I purchased on for my upcoming trips. I always wanted two cameras so I'll get to try it "side by side" with mty GoPro Hero HD.

It has 3 features that impressed me:

It has a GPS and the software that comes with it allows you to view a moving map when playing the video

Bluetooth interface so you can check the image from your iPhone (and hdmi out)

3 the camera and the mount looks much sturdier than the GoPro, resulting in less vibration.

The lipstick form factor is also a plus.

Hopefully some good footage for my upcoming trip for the videos thread.