PDA

View Full Version : The Sad Tale of Mustang 9551

Opssys
5th Jan 2011, 20:07
Premable:
When finally reading through the spreadsheet Caz provided for the second Album on ex RCAF Mustangs. I found the Album notes included several incidents researched by an ex member of 424 (Auxiliary) Squadron RCAF. This is the first:

The High Mach Dive:
RCAF 9551 was the first of the Mustangs received by the RCAF in 1947, and it was immediately assigned to the RCAF NRC Unit at Arnprior. A special “hump” fixture was attached to the port wing to test wing airfoils for the proposed CF-100 fighter, and data recorders and cameras were also installed where the fuselage fuel tank had been. The drill was to do high speed level runs at 30,000 feet and also high Mach number dives from 30,000 ft.

On 14 Feb 51, on Flight No. 12, the aircraft disintegrated in a dive, scattering wreckage over a snow-covered bush area 2 miles x 1 mile. I don’t think the CF-100 test wing section (a SECRET item) was ever found. Flight No. 12 consisted of 7 level runs at 30,000 ft. and 3 dives from 30,000 ft. at speeds of Mach 0.73 to 0.75. Five level runs were completed and the aircraft disintegrated on the first dive. Test data recovered indicated that the aircraft had gone into a 4 G yaw at about 21,000 ft., reaching Mach 0.79. With the aircraft now out of control, the wing test section departed at 19,000 ft. and 510 mph TAS. The pilot jettisoned the canopy at 7,100 ft. and it struck the stabilizer. The tail section began to fail at 6,000 ft. and the aircraft bunted, with the port wing failing and coming off at 4,500 ft. under negative “G” loading. The aircraft totally broke up and was strewn over a wide area. The cause was blamed on loss of control and inexperience.

The findings of the Court of Inquiry included several recommendations re. the choice and training of test pilots for test and experimental projects, and also said that it would the preferable to use something like the Vampire or Sabre for transonic model testing rather than Mustangs. John Arthur Ryan, DFC, was a bomber pilot with only a scant few hours of fighter time as a ferry pilot, and that was spread over several years. Ryan had been awarded the DFC as a WO2 pilot with 425 Sqn. overseas. The Court of Inquiry file also notes that he had no test pilot training, and was on loan from a Transport Command unit at Rockcliffe. The bulk of his hours on the type were on a long ferry flight, possibly one of the Mustangs up from the USAF.

As actually building the Part 2 Album hasn't yet started (and will proceed slowly), so if this generates any interest, I'll post a second incident entitled CARTWHEELS & SILICA-GEL. Meanwhile Album 1, which Just has the usual Album Notes is here: Ex RCAF Mustang Warbirds Album Part 01 Index (http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/cazsite/aviation/warbirds/mustangs/rcaf-part01/index.html)

DIH-Opssys

Sir George Cayley
5th Jan 2011, 20:23
Dear Opssys,

Thanks for that fascinating insight into early flight testing. I had a look at the album which contains some very interesting photos.

Not least of them is 9237 N6358T. This aircraft was the mount of Charles Masefield and I remember seeing it at the Woodford AirShow in the late 1960's.

Sorry to drift your thread, but I was delighted to see a colour photo of it.

Look forward to album 2 and your next instalment.

Sir George Cayley