PDA

View Full Version : Robin Simpson, Helicopters international. Texas.

roboman
5th Jan 2011, 17:53
Does anyone know Robin Simpson, who ran Helicopters International, and then Helicopter Services from Hookes airfield in Spring Texas? Dear old Robin passed away on the New Years Weekend. R.I.P mate.

rotorbrent
5th Jan 2011, 20:21
My Prayers for his friends and family. I learned to fly there when it was Omega Helicopters in the 80's.

tgilson
5th Jan 2011, 21:48
What really sad news to hear that Robin is no longer with us. Anyone who flew around Houston TX through the 80's to a couple of years ago will have known Robin. I went to Hooks Airport in 1982 and learned to fly with Simpson Aviation (it went through a number of name changes for various reasons !) and ended up working with and for Robin and we became very close friends. He was a great pilot and instructor as well as a loveable rogue who started me on my helicopter career. Robin had a massive brain aneurism a couple of years back, after which his health and business never really recovered.
We were a little gang of Brits flying and playing in Texas, and what great times we had - Me, Calum, Gus, Pete, Pat and Ron the Dutchman. Robin was generous to everyone and very adept at finding investors to keep his little company going, but it was like one big family and always fun plus he would help us all to get on in the helicopter world.
I was back in Houston in early 2010 but didn't manage to see Robin - something I will now always regret.
Rest well my old friend. Jo Jo's, Mittlestaedts and Stracks will never be the same.

You will be sorely missed.
My sympathies to all family and friends

Tony Gilson

brjbrks
6th Jan 2011, 05:22
Hi Tony

I wanted to say that was a great piece you wrote about Robin-He was one helluva guy and we'll all miss him-I saw him @ Mittelstaedt's 30th anniversary party and he looked good-he was still smoking tho-he just couldn't give it up-He was looking for a job and I had a friend that thought he might be able to use his expertise but he was out of town and said he would call when he got back which was today and he told me he wanted Robin to contact him & I told him it was too late-I sure miss all the good times we had at Mittelstaedt's with all the gang-I've got my own business now and I'm doing OK-Me & Margie were going to try & see Ron before Christmas but time just got away and hopefully we'll be able to get to see him this month-He seems to be doing OK-I know he misses flying-

What are you doing? What happened to Carol? Still married to her? I sure wish I could've seen you when you came to Texas in 2010-what were you doing here?

Well, guess I better get some shut eye-take care & I hope to hear from you

Love ya
Jacqui (Brooks)

alpineflyers
7th Jan 2011, 06:29
I was trained by Robin and Tony Ksendzuk way back in 1979 in Frederick, Oklahoma shortly before Robin moved on to Houston and started his first partnership with Dell Martin. In 1980 I joined him in Houston and worked as a flight instructor for him (for peanuts). Robin was great in trying to get every newbe a job, even without work permits those days. I remember even the Houston police offering their help in case anyone of us would get into immigration troubles, Robin had friends everywhere. I can say for sure it was his help for me having such a nice helicopter career. We all will miss him, hope the rest of us will be around for much longer.
Rest peacefully Robin, we will keep you in our minds! All the condolences to his family.

vixter
7th Jan 2011, 13:58
Hello all

There are few who knew him who wouldn't feel saddened by Robin's passing away, especially at such a young age. Yes we are all getting on but these days I hope we all have a good long way to go ahead of us. Although I had more or less fallen out of touch with Robin, I did see him in 2003 when I was visiting from Scotland for a wedding and we had a great laugh together reminiscing about the 80s and Simpson Helicopters/Aviations/Omega etc etc. We even dug through the office drawers and found an ancient address book and scratched each other's heads over who we could remember. Pilots - vendors - staff - investors - they were all there! All the others you mention above were in there. The guys and gals post 80s of course I never knew. Tony K came by the hangar that day and we went to visit John Peacocke. All the memories came flooding back. I know everyone will feel a gap in their lives knowing that Robin is "no longer there", it is truly the end of an era in so many ways. Without a doubt he impacted many many lives and careers. I only wish we could say and write these nice things when the person is still around to read them!

Sincere condolences to friends and family. They broke the mould when they made Robin and I know he will be very much missed.

Great to hear from alpineflyers and Tony, me ol mucka. I've often wondered about you and how you're getting along. Send me a pm when you get a moment you 2.

Vicki

nigelh
7th Jan 2011, 19:02
I turned up at Hooks out of the blue in around 1981 with a vague idea of wanting to fly helicopters . Met Robin and ended up staying there for around a year ( except for a hospital stay in UK after an accident at Houston Intnl airport in a 300 ) I was there with Callum and Gus ( the 2 Jocks !! ) and also 2 Norwegians and a few others . Remember the day he got the 206 from Dell and all of us students went for a play in it !! He was good fun and a very kind man ...always white shirt with gold bars ....hanging out of his trousers , covered in fag ash and usually a coffee stain where he had put it between his legs flying !!!! One time his pax spilt coffee and jammed in full pedal and the 206 nearly chopped its tail off . No time now but we should get some stories together .
ps if any of you who remember me are out there get in touch ....( having said that if you knew me then you might not !!! )

nigelh
9th Jan 2011, 14:13
I started flying at hooks with Robin in August 1981 , mostlt trained with Chris Houg ( whats happened to him ??) . He was a good instructor and a really nice guy . Also Kai Tomte , the little one who looks like oddjob !! I think Calum and Gus may have gone onto North Sea . The Norwegians mainly did fixed wing if i remember . I delivered their second 300C from Colorado with a student getting training enroute ....that was the blind leading the blind !! Later on went to ag rotors near Gettysburg and flew 47,s and Hillers with Hanck Whitfield ??? All good fun and i am very sorry to hear about Robin as i emailed him only a few months back.

206 jock
9th Jan 2011, 17:50
I dealt with Robin for a short while, when he decided to sell his ongoing project aircraft, during 2007. During the negotiations he suffered an illness and just came back as the deal was done.

In my few dealings with him, he was certainly a straight guy, RIP.

just driver
12th Jan 2011, 02:41
Hallo Guys,and Girls,
There is a memorial service for him tomorrow 11 jan,@ Rosewood funeral home humble tx,there webside is .com.
The Mittelstaedt,s gang will be there and I,am sure many many others.
Y,all can send a note on the website.

Like I told his wife Amie,,He don,t need Rotors no more,he got WINGS now.

Thank y,all for the nice write ups,she will sure appreciate it.

Dutchman.

P.S.
He stopped by my house in August and we had a good time after(11 years).

See you later No 1

tgilson
17th Jan 2011, 21:11
Hello Guys

Just spoke to a mate of mine in Scotland and there will be a memorial service for Robin on the 24 Jan in Dyce. Don't have a time or location at the moment but I'm sure I can find out if anyone is wanting to go,also, there is some stuff about Robin in today's (Monday) Aberdeen papers.

vixter, nigelh and griffothefog could you please check your P.M.s or email me at [email protected].

Thanks chaps - Regards ..... Tony

griffothefog
18th Jan 2011, 01:45
tgilson,

Done, I'll get right on it...:ok:

GTF.

Dave KK
18th Jan 2011, 16:04
Tony G, what happened to Robin? I got an email from shawn Kelly that he had passed but hadn't heard anything more. I left a message with Shawn but havn't gotten a call back yet. I thought he was doing good after his medical problem a couple years ago. I know he had moved to the Woodlands and said he loved living there. Any info is appreciated. Gonna miss him and his friendship,terrible loss.

Thanks
Dave Kreager

Bcopters500
18th Jan 2011, 23:43
Robin you were very good to us especially when we got hit from behind down the street from your school you drove up and said here mate, take the keys to my Car! nice Jag mate! I will re-gret not stopping by to say hi recently,we will miss you for sure, God Bless You!

cetaylor
19th Jan 2011, 20:40
Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know that Robin's memorial service will be held at Dyce Parish Church on Monday 24th January at 1.30pm.

All friends and family are respectfully invited.

Cairine

Grand Wazoo
10th Mar 2011, 19:36
Just heard the news, sad today....

Robin trained me how to fly helicopters. He was a great guy, pilot, and friend. He gave me my first aviation job instructing and doing charters at H.I.I. back in 1990. I am alive today because of the exquisite and extraordinary instruction he gave me.

Robin touched many lives and will live a very, very long time in those memories.

fritzmerde
28th Sep 2013, 02:46
I had not talked to him in years, 6 or so. Flying with the airlines & joining the Air Guard on C-130s, marriage, 4 boys, the war, etc. (I'm trying to make myself feel better) for not getting my fat butt to DWH. Great guy, fun to just hang out with & hanger fly. I was the Ref for the Ken Powell Robin bouts. A whole lot of love there, not. Since Ken signed my checks, i laid low. Robin was right about 85% of the time leaving ken to have temper tantrums. Did the coroners report how and why he died ?