PDA

View Full Version : To foreign registered Jet operators (UK)

Davjet
5th Jan 2011, 14:26
Hello,

It’s the New Year; resolutions set and achievements to be met. This year has got to be better than the last, and one of my hopes is to finally get hired - I know someone out there definitely needs a First Officer!!

A couple of important points about me :

· Reliable
· Very well presented
· Mature
· Discreet
· Extremely hard working
· I get along well with anyone and everyone
· Willing to relocate anywhere (currently based in London, England)
· Flexible on pay
· Willing to pay for the aircraft rating if required
· Recommendations available at request
· Able to travel anywhere and anytime to introduce myself
· I hold a FAA CPL/IR and Type rated on the Airbus 320 and Citation 500|550|560, First Class medical, MCC and CRM
· Looking for a long term opportunity in Corporate aviation

If the above are the qualities you look for in a Pilot, please PM me, I would really like to fly! :)

733driver
5th Jan 2011, 15:04
Davjet

I am sorry you are without a flying job at the moment.

So are many, many more. Some of them post their details in the appropriaty "sticky"-thread (first thread here on BizJets).

I would not hire you. You get along with anyone and everyone. So that would include even the meanest person on the planet. Sorry to say, but there are some people I don't want to get along with.

And what's up with all that "flexible on pay and willing to pay rating" business?

What ever happend to the concept of "having a backbone"?

Sorry, had to say it.

Good luck with the job hunt!

Davjet
5th Jan 2011, 15:45
Thanks 733driver, yes I do hope I get hired soon, and sorry for not having a backbone as you eloquently put it in terms of "flexible on pay", and willing to self type rate. The fact of the matter is a lot of private operators will not fork out for a type rating, like everyone I would like it paid for by whoever hires me, but this is very rare. I avoided it for years from the time I qualified a few years ago, but those who did are now flying and I'm not.

Re: flexible with pay. I'm by no means independently wealthy and I would certainly appreciate a high salary like everyone else. I love flying and it's my passion. If I was offered peanuts to fly a shinny new Gulfstream right now, I would do it. I don't know your circumstances but I'm sure if there was a time you badly wanted to fly and were offered the opportunity on the basis you paid for a rating, I'm sure you'd probably do the same. I'm in my mid thirties and been in another sector besides aviation for sometime, I know time is not on my side so I've got to make it in the next few years or I'm stuffed.

Re: I get on with anyone and everyone. Well throughout my career I have managed to get along with nearly everyone I've worked with. Obviously some people rub you up the wrong way, but if you're in a team scenario you've got to find a way otherwise things either don't get done or to their full potential.

Thanks

Gulfstreamaviator
5th Jan 2011, 18:23
Derek Jordan is seeking flexible crew.

Must be time for a change there.

I can think of one or two others, but not willing to out them today.

Seriously, DAVJET good luck with your hunting, and yes you should get some offers.

glf

733driver
5th Jan 2011, 19:53
Davjet

I really do feel for you. I have been forunate that I never had to pay up front for any of my 6 type ratings got bonded for 3. That's ok.

I was completely broke out of flight school and could not have afforded a type rating or another loan. I got my first job which was not great but TR paid for. A bit later I was offered a job on a better aircraft but for same pay and I would have had to pay for my TR. I turned down that job. A bit later I was hired onto the 737, TR paid for by the company. I have since been on a number of BizJets and not paid for any of those ratings.

I understand it is difficult but I think it is short-sighted to accept peanuts today and hoping that for some reason your employer would pay you a decent salary in the future when he can just hire someone else who is happy to fly for peanuts.

All I am saying is: Don't drag the conditions down for all of us including yourself. Be flexible if you have to. Maybe offer to cover half the cost of the TR when discussing this in person with the employer.

But please don't advertise that you will fly for peanuts and pay for the rating. You are not doing anyone a favour here including yourself.

Hope you see where I am coming from. It is nothing personal of course. Afterall I don't even know you. But you and your qualifications are cerainly worth a little more than what you have asked for on your initial post, don't you think?

Davjet
5th Jan 2011, 21:24
733driver,
I know you meant well with your views and I hope what I posted hasn't upset anyone with similar views to you. I just want to get hired. I too put myself through flight school and the A320 rating, and it cost me an arm and a leg. So tell me what am I supposed to do if these are the conditions offered by some operators. I can't get a JAR licence due to medical restrictions set by the CAA's strict and unrealistic rules, which therefore only allows me to use my FAA ticket on foreign registered aircraft in the UK. I know there are quite a few Manx, US, Bermuda and Cayman registered aircraft based in the UK and parts of Europe who must surely need a Pilot. So far I have waited and tried for almost 10 years to get hired, and it was only in the last year that I did the rating in the hope of securing a position. The reason I did the rating was only because I was provisionally offered a position with a foreign based Airline, but shortly after I finished the rating the airline folded. Yes it was costly, but I was prepared to take the risk in order to finally land a job flying. I don't regret it either as I believe in life there are times when you just have to take pot luck. As I think I mentioned in my earlier post; everyone's circumstances to the way they got their first job varies. I am happy that you got rated on 6 different aircraft without having to fork out a penny - I guess you're luckier than most. All the best to you.

Davjet

Davjet
5th Jan 2011, 21:26
Gulfstreamaviator

Thank you for your support.

Davjet

Davjet
5th Jan 2011, 23:15
Hi Mutt,

I guess I fall short on the hours. I have around 600TT with an A320 TR I got just about a year ago, and an SIC rating on the citation 550 about 5 months ago.

Regards,

Davjet

Davjet
6th Jan 2011, 14:52
I got a Private mail from someone who read my thread, and basically said I haven't got a hope in hell of finding a job unless I was referred by someone already working or had worked for a particular operator. I have been told in this by several people in past that in order to get the a job in this sector it's purely down to who you know not what you know. I hope this is not the general case, otherwise I'm stuffed!

bizjet inmate
6th Jan 2011, 15:23
Davjet,

None of us were born with a set of jet engines under our armpits or a control column between our legs, so stick at it. Have you thought about Flight ops jobs or working for operators in a non flying role, with idea of getting yourself known and increasing chance of being at right place at right time?

Just another angle on your new years resolution.....

Remember....stick at it....most of us were where you are now at some stage...GOOD LUCK !

INNflight
6th Jan 2011, 15:56
Davjet,

I do not know your current situation, whether you are working somewhere other than aviation, and what your family status is, but it is largely true that most of these jobs are never going to be advertised.

The positions will be filled with pilots who get recommended by current crew or ops people.

Again I do not know, but have you considered working a ground OPS job with ANY operator or at any airport? Not sure about England, but here in Continental Europe a lot of companies are short on dispatchers and your flying education would help a long way there already.

This may not get you into a jet, but it will open up the chance to get to know people who may just remember and recommend you if a position gets open.

Being kind and helpful usually goes a long way in this small industry. You see it on here already, Mr. Mutt already helped out (including myself in the past via PM) and who knows what comes along.

Keep your head up, and so will I and many more. Our time will come (again).

south coast
6th Jan 2011, 16:22
Dave

Just out of interest, did you self fund the Airbus and Citation ratings as they would seem odd ratings to have with only 600TT?

Davjet
6th Jan 2011, 16:58
South Coast

Yes I self-sponsored the A320, and C550 ratings. Most Type rating organisations only require that you have a CPL/IR MCC and I think at least 250hrs TT. I also did 40 hours on the B737 sim during my MCC course at Oxford Aviation Academy a few years back. The course standard was 20 hours, but I decided on doing an additional 20. The reason I did the A320 rating was because I was provisionally offered a position to fly as a FO with an overseas based airline on the basis I did the rating. Unfortunately just after I finished and was being processed with them, they hit some major financial problems and folded. I did do my research on the company before doing the rating and they seemed stable at the time. You may ask why I didn't try other airlines who operate the A320, well I did, but most want at least 500 hours on type.

south coast
6th Jan 2011, 18:39
Not at all, I don't judge people, we all have to do what we have to do to survive, the world is not an ideal place.

Good luck.

I.R.PIRATE
6th Jan 2011, 19:17
Which company are you referring to Mutt?

Davjet , good luck mate, I know of many chaps in similar jams right now, but I can honestly say that I am hearing more and more success stories through the grapevine. Be persistent, and don't be scared to get out of your comfort zone. You never know your luck when you rattle your own cage sometimes.:ok:

Davjet
6th Jan 2011, 19:44
INNFLIGHT

Yes I am in another industry other than aviation at the moment. I had to get a job in the area I am in now to be able to pay off my loans. Your advice is appreciated and I will take some of your points on board. And yes there are some gents in this forum such as MUTT who has shown willingness to help.

Cheers

Davjet
6th Jan 2011, 19:47
I.R.Pirate

Thanks for your support too!

Davjet

Crosswind Limits
7th Jan 2011, 08:24
Mutt

What's the rotation like? Can one commute to UK? What's pay and benefits? How much flying?

I am currently on a 2 week rotation in Asia with most of my duty spent by the pool! :{;):p Hopefully will fly some more when I get back out!:ok:

What's the avenue for applications? If you prefer you can PM me!

Thanks very much!

Davjet
7th Jan 2011, 08:46
Hi MUTT,

So does 600TT, with a Jet rating still rule me out as I don't have the 1000TT?

Davjet
7th Jan 2011, 09:34
I did a little research and these are the stats of foreign registered jet based in the UK and some Europe. By the way these are approximate figures.

US reg = 65 Jets
Bermuda reg = 21 Jets
Cayman reg = 15 Jets
IOM reg = 120 + Jets and continually growing

That's a total of 220 + foreign registered aircraft, one of whom must definetly need a Pilot :)

Davjet

Davjet
7th Jan 2011, 13:46
Come guys, who needs a Pilot?

Davjet
8th Jan 2011, 15:57
What would the typical minimums be with part 91 operators in the UK anone have an idea?

Pace
8th Jan 2011, 17:32
DavJet

Typical minimums for part 91 ? You have to be able to recite the alphabet A-Z
count to 10 and back. be able to chat up at least a group of six women uninvited :E Be able to walk along a white line after a night out without falling over and keep boring old sods like me Cheerful listening to my disasterous love life ;) Good luck!

Pace