PDA

View Full Version : Eurocopter HTH

Yellow & Blue Baron
5th Jan 2011, 06:33
http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=11992

Does anyone anywhere have any idea as to whether Eurocopter's HTH (heavy transport helicopter) program is still on or whether it has been shelved?

YBB

Hilife
5th Jan 2011, 10:45
Currently the EDA is still assessing requirements. I’d suggest the HTH program is still little more than a pipedream, as funding approval (let alone a realistic ISD - 2020 at least) is still some way off, at which point the CH-53K will be in service and I daresay, the preferred solution for the HEER to replace their ageing CH-53’s.

EADS/ Eurocopter would love to build something this big, but they don’t have the rotor or transmission technology, so I would see them looking to partner with Mil, Boeing or Sikorsky.

Risk: Where is the market? Russia will buy Mil platforms, the USA will buy CH-47’s and CH-53K’s (the latter being the ideal solution for both the German’s and Israeli’s), so that leaves Eurocopter holding the purse for R&D for their own military solution and I’m not certain the Armée de Terre even has a real requirement for HTH.

If you want to know how little spare cash EADS/Eurocopter has for high risk platform development just now (and likely why the German’s are more than a little reticent to invest in a new design HTH), cast your thoughts back to those other great fiasco’s like the A400M/A350XWB & A380 and just take a look at the latest X3 Program.....a mishmash of a platform lacking large amounts of EADS or French Government funding commitments if ever there was one.

EADS/Eurocopter is clearly desperate not to be left behind on European options for HTH or by the threat to current and future high speed rotary technology offered by the BA609 (if ever it happens?), the V-22 and in particularly the X-2/S-97 programs, but when it comes to HTH, I’m not convinced the rewards will outweigh the risks.

If it looks like the Germans will opt for the CH-53K, then I’d not be surprised to see Eurocopter team with Mil for a major update program for the Mi-26 and look to secure revenue from sales in Russia, India, China and the UN.

Yellow & Blue Baron
5th Jan 2011, 13:24
This answer was everything I was looking for and more. :ok:

Thank you very much.

YBB
http://www.icelandexpress.is/is/upload/images/iceland_express/destinations/swedish-flag-67x.jpg

bolkow
5th Jan 2011, 15:21
I dont think anyone knows the answer?. Looks like a souped up Jolly Green Giant to me.

Yellow & Blue Baron
5th Jan 2011, 15:57
Thread running in the Mil Forum.