PDA

View Full Version : Australian Tax Question ???

volare_737
5th Jan 2011, 00:54
After reading about 200 pages on the Australian Tax site it looks to me, that one has to pay full Australian Tax when working out of the country.
One gets a Tax offset for Tax paid in the country of employment.
Any comments ?? Thanks ?

Vertical Freedom
5th Jan 2011, 06:16
If You are out of Oz for 6months a year & / or paying tax elsewhere then there is NO requirement to pay tax twice.

Cheers

VF

THRidle
5th Jan 2011, 18:56
Sorry VF, the old 6 months out of Aus. doesn't apply any longer.

If you have any ties to Australia ( wife residing, home, kids at school etc ) irrespective of days away, for tax purposes, you are classified as a resident, and are required to pay the tax difference between where you are currently employed and the current ATO tax rate.

Sue Ridgepipe
5th Jan 2011, 23:40
And if you don't maintain a place of residence in Australia but live full time in another country and can satisfy the tax office you are a non-resident of Australia, you should not have to pay Australian tax on your income earned in another country.

FO Cokebottle
7th Jan 2011, 12:39
It would be a good idea to get hold of the tax agreement between Australia and the country you are working in - you will be surprised.

The tax agreement in my circumstance is that income solely earned in xxxxxx is to be solely taxed in xxxxxx

:ok:

PS. I wrote to the ATO and requested a copy to be mailed. Nice fella's them ATO fella's