View Full Version : Windows 7 to XP?

herman the crab
4th Jan 2011, 22:38
Help!

Grand Father has been sold a Dell Inspiron 570 with Windows 7 on it, he has spent 3 months muddling by with it whilst I was in the UK but of course it won't run most of his XP programs... despite Dell telling him it would. They now say he chose Windows 7 so tough and nothing they can do.

I have tried using the compatibility mode to no effect on most of them. Can't download the virtual XP as that's only good for Professional or above.

Attempted to do a clean XP install using genuine disk but as soon as it tries to reboot it goes to a blue screen stop message - apparently due to newly installed devices or software.

Tempted to get another HDD and try using that to install XP on but before I spend the $$$ open to (helpful) suggestions.

HTC

cargosales
5th Jan 2011, 00:52
I had a similar sounding problem with my Vista-loaded machine which came with an XP 'downgrade' which I installed pronto. That worked fairly well except the ruddy machine still 'remembered' certain odd things and refused to recognise / accept the installation of certain software in spite of using original, genuine installation CDs, complete with registration keys etc :ugh:

I didn't need to in the end but what about blacking the HDD [Format C:] then try installing XP ?

CS

herman the crab
5th Jan 2011, 04:09
That was my plan but it won't let me format it using the XP disk or from 7... guess new HHD drive or borrow one to format from.

HTC

mixture
5th Jan 2011, 06:52
Tempted to get another HDD and try using that to install XP on but before I spend the $$$ open to (helpful) suggestions.

New HDDs should be cheap as chips.

If your supplier is quoting $$$, walk away.

A A Gruntpuddock
5th Jan 2011, 07:05
Can't you just format it by clicking on 'my computer', selecting the disk then clicking on 'format' in the menu?

Or going to 'all programs' and selecting 'accessories' then 'command prompt' and typing 'format C:'?

Perhaps downloading a free linux distribution would let you format the disk, bypassing Windows.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to go back to XP. I was worried about getting only the basic Win 7 on my new computer because I expected to replace most of my programs.

However, I was surprised to find that almost everything worked. During installation, if there were likely to be problems Win 7 usually issued a warning and asked if i wanted to re-install it in compatibility mode. You can always choose this yourself by right-clicking on the setup program and using the 'troubleshoot compatibility' option.

I am quite happy with 7 and have no wish to go back to XP.

herman the crab
5th Jan 2011, 08:26
Nope can't format from within 7 and after research now looks like the machine won't run XP anyway due to lack of drivers....

OK, $$$ was meaning more $'s than lots of $$$ :) but looks like new (different) drive is way to try before wiping 7.

Most of the programs he wants to run DON'T work that is the problem!

HTC.

green granite
5th Jan 2011, 09:01
I don't know how big your HD is but I would put in a second partition and install XP onto it as a dual boot system, that way he has the best of both worlds.

W2k
5th Jan 2011, 09:10
I'm curious as to what applications you need to run on XP for which there aren't alternatives that run on Windows 7. I've been running Windows 7 for quite some time and I haven't come across any.

Since XP is nearing end-of-life and Windows 7 is really superior in pretty much every way (especially on new hardware) you would probably be better off replacing your applications rather than downgrading to an old OS.

green granite
5th Jan 2011, 09:33
I have 3 legacy programs that won't run under W7, they're highly specialized radio decoding programs one of which would cost around £7000 to replace as it's too old for an update. :( Which is why I went for W7 Pro and installed virtual XP)

vulcanised
5th Jan 2011, 11:54
IIRC, the OS supplied with Dell machines is specific to Dell and actually looks to see that is what the hardware is. So, could it be that your XP disk is not the Dell variety and is being rejected?

If that's the case, there are usually lots of Dell CDs on offer on the auction sites, so might be worth considering.

Loose rivets
5th Jan 2011, 13:35
I could not format C while in W7. The other partitions, were allowed.

I used XP as a tool to zap the W7 install, then did a full Format. Reinstalled W7 fine.

Is your OS on disks? Indeed, two disks? On my current PC - which is an HP, I have a W7 that was produced as an upgrade for HP Laptops. The 'Installation Disk' refused to let me proceed, saying it was not a laptop. With a clean format, I used the second disk and completed a new install.

Saab Dastard
5th Jan 2011, 17:32
IIRC, the OS supplied with Dell machines is specific to Dell and actually looks to see that is what the hardware is. So, could it be that your XP disk is not the Dell variety and is being rejected?

I believe that a Dell-branded CD / DVD will only work with a Dell PC. However, a genuine retail Windows CD / DVD will work on any platform. So that is unlikely to be the problem here.

You can use the Win XP disk to boot and then erase all existing partitions and then re-partition as required, prior to carrying out a clean install of XP. That would be the best way to get a clean install of XP.

However, if Dell has not released any XP drivers for that model, you may find that the system (or certain components) won't function.

If the system does work, but you are missing component drivers, you may find equivalent drivers direct from the manufacturer - provided you can identify the underlying hardware.

SD

herman the crab
5th Jan 2011, 21:21
He has several including voice recognition software. Replacing software is not an option on a disabled veteran's pension. Affording the new machine was hard enough (and no before anyone asks he will not accept financial help - to proud).

HTC

Loose rivets
6th Jan 2011, 04:42
I don't know if the second one in might be of help.

Windows 7 downloads - Microsoft Windows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-7)

Bushfiva
6th Jan 2011, 05:41
Windows 7 has good voice recognition built in. Why not ugprade Win 7 to gain access to virtualization, or use a third-party product that will run on your current product? Finally, "not supported" isn't the same as "doesn't work". Assuming the driver problem is Dell not providing drivers for the ALS888 audio chipset, then that stuff's from 2006 and Realtek will probably have the drivers, if XP SP2 or higher doesn't support it out of the box.

As usual, people are going through hoops here because someone won't spend money in the right place at the right time (i.e. the software, not the hardware).

Spurlash2
13th Jan 2011, 02:17
Herman,

Exactly what Grand Father has been sold a Dell Inspiron 570 with Windows 7 on it, he has spent 3 months muddling by with it whilst I was in the UK but of course it won't run most of his XP programs... despite Dell telling him it would.

programmes will Win 7 not run.

Give us the name of the software. Don't dig deep on this. There will be a simple answer!

Kieran17
13th Jan 2011, 02:46
Its a relatively easy thing to get around, even on Win7 with out the compatibility mode. First, go here VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/) and download a program called VM Ware player. It's a virtual machine program. install vmware player then install a version of XP.
works better than compatibility mode...

herman the crab
15th Jan 2011, 05:58
Thanks everyone.

After various calls, veiled threats, etc, to Dell they have agreed to upgrade the system to 7 Pro so we can use the XP emulator.

HTC