PDA

View Full Version : Where's This DH Dragon

Fishtailed
3rd Jan 2011, 17:53
Can anyone please identify the airfield where this aircraft, G-AEAL, was taken? The aircraft is named 'Star of Yorkshire'

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/fishtailed/plane.jpg

VX275
3rd Jan 2011, 18:15
Manchester Barton, possibly.

Fishtailed
3rd Jan 2011, 18:52
Tower looks much like Barton but the large hardstanding doesn't look right.

Atcham Tower
3rd Jan 2011, 19:07
Definitely Barton. A hangar was later sited on that hardstanding.

RegDep
3rd Jan 2011, 19:19
Look at this. Scroll down to 5.

Manchester Airport : Image Archive (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/ImageArchive)

Reg

Airclues
3rd Jan 2011, 19:49
I believe that Barton has the oldest operational control tower in Europe.

Dave

WHBM
4th Jan 2011, 13:28
That's a De Havilland Dragon Rapide (DH.89), generally "a Rapide", not a Dragon (DH.84).

G-AEAL (c/n 6325) was new to Railway Air Services as "Star of Yorkshire" (AEAJ was "Star of Lancashire"), based at Barton, in Spring 1936, and did two summers there before being sold to Isle of Man Air Services towards the end of 1937, for whom it operated throughout the war, one of the few civilian airliners operating. Trickled down through various minor operators afterwards, last heard of in Algeria in the early 1960s.

Looks in good nick as far as I can see, so may have been a delivery photograph.

Sir George Cayley
5th Jan 2011, 20:13
Yes, it's Barton alright. And with the old D/F aerial on top. The cut off bolt heads still stick up through the roof.

An interesting tale to do with Railway A/s and Barton involves the late Sandy Jack who saw out his last few years at Barton helping out with a/c maintenance at Barton Moss Engineering.

He had been taken on by Railway A/s in the 30's as their Chief? Engineer having started flying in an Avro 504 spotting fish for his father's fishing boat.

He later worked at Avros Woodford putting Lancasters together.

So I suppose this photo represents the start of a full circle for dear old Sandy.

Sir George Cayley

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th Jan 2011, 20:28
Talking of Barton Moss Engineering, is Basil Carlin still around? I last saw him some years ago at Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester restoring the Rapide.

Planemike
5th Jan 2011, 21:31
SSD..........

Basil Carlin is no longer with us, I distinctly remember reading an obituary notice some while back but cannot remember where it was.

Planemike

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Jan 2011, 22:36
Thanks Planemike. I thought it unlikely he was still with us as he was getting on when I last saw him which was a long time ago.