PDA

View Full Version : UPS/TNT... Flight crew

Brakefire
3rd Jan 2011, 16:26
Hi all

I was looking around at cargo carriers like Fedex, UPS etc and just wondering if they hire flight crew in Europe or is it only FAA/American crews. Cant find any info.

I know TNT and DHL do. Anybody work for one of the big cargo carriers that knows what hiring is looking like through 2011 and requirements.

Do Fedex and UPS base in Europe at all.:ok:

MarkerInbound
3rd Jan 2011, 17:03
They require a FAA certificate and the right to work in the US - passport or green card. FedEx has a crew base at CDG but I believe all UPS crews are US based. Fifteen years or so ago UPS was contracting with Star Air of Denmark to get European rights. With the EU-US Open Skies agreement I don't know if they still fly for UPS.

Acid-drop
3rd Jan 2011, 17:37
TNT | Global Air Network (http://www.tntliege.com)

boredcounter
3rd Jan 2011, 18:21
Just FYI,

Don't think anything has changed in 15 years (A/C type maybe)? StarAir, in 'Maersk' house colours, flying 767s for UPS around Europe, with EU Crew as far as I know. Using the 'WhiteStar' C/S still, ACMI for UPS I presume.

Fly safe all,

Bored

(Ex Maersk Air UK (passenger) Ops, now working for UPS competion, thinking AP Moller and I agreed on the way forward.................:hmm:)

Brakefire
3rd Jan 2011, 20:24
Thanks guys, I would love to get into one of the cargo carriers, unfortunately Im not type rated. I have 2700 odd ours multi and TP, no jet.:ok:

dusk2dawn
4th Jan 2011, 04:14
Star Air does not require typerating. 6 newhires starts typerating course this week but no further intake is planned.

hotelmodemetar
4th Jan 2011, 10:40
The only type of aircraft that european pilots are allowed to fly for FedEx is the ATR42/72, the Embraer 120, and the ATP :ugh:

FedEx pilots are not based at CDG, they are based in the USA and come to Europe for a 2 weeks shift (if they have enough seniority). Some european work at FDX but they all have a FAA licence and a US passport. :ouch:

I heard from a fedex employee that the company will need to recruit shortly 500 new pilots just to cover the market/traffic expansion.

Flightmech
4th Jan 2011, 13:54
Just to clarify above, FedEx does not have a crew domicile (base) anywhere in Europe right now. There is a rumour of one and if it happens it will likely be CGN. The only domicile out of the USA is HKG.

Those european pilots that hotelmodemetar mentions do not fly for FedEx either, they fly for Air Contractors, Swiftair, Farnair etc who are sub-contracted to fly FedEx routes.

MarkerInbound
4th Jan 2011, 18:35
Thanks for the update. It must have been some rumors that gave me the idea FedEx had a CDG base.

Flightmech
4th Jan 2011, 21:10
They did look at a CDG domicile a year or so ago in preparation for the 757 but it didn't happen. The 757 is operating out of CDG now but the crews still position in and out from the US (what FedEx calls SIBA flying) like the A300 crews do.