PDA

View Full Version : REX Engine Failure

onedottoolow
3rd Jan 2011, 02:27
Passengers spot idle prop
Flight attendant "screaming"
In brace position for landing
IT WAS when they looked out the window that the fear set in.

Airline passengers braced for their lives when their flight made a sudden U-turn and they saw an idle propeller just "swinging in the breeze".
The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/the-sight-no-flight-passenger-should-see/story-e6freuy9-1225980592273) reports passengers on the REX flight from Griffith to Sydney then spent a tense hour in a holding pattern before the plane made an emergency landing.
"You're up there with just one engine so you're just relying on it hoping nothing goes wrong ... it's a very unique experience," passenger Justin Sanson said.
"The landing was fine, nothing out of the ordinary except for the flight attendant screaming 'Heads down and stay down'
"It was a good feeling to hit the ground though."
The New Year's Day flight carrying 20 passengers and crew left Griffith airport shortly after 10am, with the only indication something was wrong coming from an "alarm noise" heard by passengers as the plane took off.
"We'd been in the air for a while and I was thinking it had taken us a while to get to Barellan (53km from Griffith)," Mr Sanson said.
"All of a sudden we did a 180-degree turn and I thought we were on our way back to Griffith.
"Then we looked out the window and saw the propeller just swinging in the breeze."
Mr Sanson said all passengers immediately assumed the brace position, assisted by cabin crew.
"We were in a holding pattern for about 40 minutes before attempting to make the landing, so they obviously were pretty confident in that engine," he said.
"Most people were pretty calm, it was a small plane so there were a few bumps but nothing too bad."
Another plane was sent to Griffith to carry the stranded passengers safely to Sydney.
A REX spokeswoman yesterday said the return to Sydney came after a "cockpit warning indication after takeoff".
"In accordance with company standard procedures, the pilot carried out an engine shutdown as a precaution," she said.
"The aircraft landed normally at 11.16 am and the 17 passengers and three crew on board were unharmed and alternative arrangements were made."

propblast
3rd Jan 2011, 03:02
Yet another piece of sensationalist journalistic crap.

Anyone got any other details other than:

"It was a good feeling to hit the ground though."

IT WAS when they looked out the window that the fear set in.

Ovation
3rd Jan 2011, 06:01
As it happened I was overflying Griffith (VFR) from the East expected overhead about the time they were to land, and verified my position and altitude to enable separation as the REX crew made their descent. The crew had earlier reported an engine fault indication and sounded cool, calm and professional. As a precaution there were the usual emergency vehicles summoned "just in case", but the approach and landing from my vantage point seemed perfectly normal.

There is one correction however - they touched down at 1112 not 1116 :ok:

bankrunner
3rd Jan 2011, 07:00
There was about 10 minutes' worth of carry-on on the 9 local news, too. More drama than the event warranted.

If it had have been QF, it would've been "17 people barely escape death after yet another Qantas incident" :ugh:

I would've thought a lightly loaded SF34 flies reasonably well OEI...

GAFA
3rd Jan 2011, 08:42
Is it company procedure to have the pax in the brace position for a OEI landing as stated in the newspaper?

dodgybrothers
3rd Jan 2011, 08:56
'heads down stay down' for an engine failure? Geez

KRUSTY 34
3rd Jan 2011, 09:57
"Brace Brace" "Heads down stay down" is only used if it is deemed by the Captain that an evacuation after landing may be necessary.

Notwithstanding that, the Captain has the authority to order the "brace" call if he/she feels it is warranted.

Well done to the crew.

A37575
3rd Jan 2011, 10:28
Notwithstanding that, the Captain has the authority to order the "brace" call if he/she feels it is warranted.

You mean like he is about to turn off the automatic pilot and fly by hand during the landing approach.:ok:

dodgybrothers
3rd Jan 2011, 10:43
as I said, geez for an engine shutdown as a precaution?

bankrunner
3rd Jan 2011, 11:48
Hand flying is for cowboys :=

Ero-plano
3rd Jan 2011, 20:58
This could be the next SMH headline:

Hero passengers survive doomed airliners engine failure. :ugh:

What a joke.