PDA

View Full Version : UAL 777s - extremely loud?

shogan1977
2nd Jan 2011, 17:52
Fly regularly BRU-IAD-BRU. UAL recently changed from 767s to 777s. Is it just me or is the engine noise on these aircraft extremely loud? It quietens down after take off - but the vibration and noise in cruise seems excessive - especially in biz class beside the engines! Hard to sleep! :rolleyes:

Jipperty
2nd Jan 2011, 18:33
Couldn't agree more, recently did LHR - SIN return. Outbound was upstairs in a 744 and slept like a baby. Return was a 777 and was on the wing in Biz class and could not sleep at all due to vibration/noise.

I will in future be checking A/C type before booking.

WHBM
2nd Jan 2011, 19:53
It's not just the United 777s, it's ALL 777s that are loud inside, especially in the rear cabin. Now I know that airline execs and senior designers rarely travel back there, but if they did (especially on overnight flights) they could be in for a surprise.

In contrast the A330/340 are notably quieter at the same relative position. Anyone got a technical explanation for this ? More soundproofing ? Engines mounted further outboard ?

Sultan Ismail
2nd Jan 2011, 23:44
The sound phenomenon applies to all 777 operated by Malaysian Airlines and Singapore Airlines, except may be the SQ 777-300ER. 777 with MH and SQ use the Rolls Royce Trent derivitive except the 777-300ER which has a GE engine.

I have flown many times with both airlines to Johannesburg, Zurich, London and Brisbane and have been unnerved by the sound at takeoff and the initial climb. It is particulary intrusive in the cabin forward of the wing, the area normally designated as Biz class.

SLF3
6th Jan 2011, 12:26
Interesting - thought it was just me. I think the PW engined 777 is significantly quieter than the GE and Rolls powered equivalents and the Rolls is marginally quieter than the GE.

The 747 (except in first or upstairs) is showing its age and very noisy.

The A330 / 340 (I would suggest) is much quieter than either the 777 or 747, though the old ones seem noisier than the new.

I am told the A380 is astonishingly quiet.

This is based on flights in all classes - it is always noisier at the back.