View Full Version : Where to Stay at each Flight/Ground School

scroggs
10th Jul 2001, 14:54
I noticed this question was raised about B&Bs near Bristol, and thought it would be a useful topic to archive for Wannabes. Let's keep it restricted to the UK for the moment (but feel free to start new topics for other countries). Please state the area of the school, the place you're recommending, what's good about it, and a contact 'phone number or e-mail. Please don't bother entering places you wouldn't recommend, their omission will be sufficient 'punishment'! And please, if you own a B&B or are related to a B&B owner, don't be tempted to try and get some free advertising - we have ways of finding you out!!

scroggs
11th Jul 2001, 00:43
Shall I forget this idea......?

Megaton
11th Jul 2001, 00:47
No. It's an excellent idea. I've been trying to find somewhere close to PPSC for end Aug/beginning Sep. A list of positive recommendations would be very welcome.

skysoarer
11th Jul 2001, 01:13
I agree; certainly a good idea - as long as people put stuff on it! So I'm doing my bit to keep this at the top. Plus I want to see my member number on this new look...

SS

WORLDSAT
11th Jul 2001, 18:11
The Accom Near PPSC thread has some comments that you may like to give some thought to.
There are some other considerations,
1)A B&B that is recommended by one individual may not suite everybody elses needs.
2)The recommendation may originate from the establishment itself.
3)Criticisms must be included to enable a fair and unbiased decision to be made. On condition that said negative report is factual on location, facilities, ability to study, food available and general ambiance.

Some B&B's are flee pits, they restrict your movement, you have no recourse against the landlady for the service provided and you may be required to pay well in advance by bankers order or credit card. Words of warning to all Wannabes be carefull where you stay, the ideal location would be a library if they had beds.

Si
11th Jul 2001, 18:41
Great idea, as stated in a post above that i sent out, i will be at oxford in october doing the full time ground school and have been told there is no room on site so want somewhere very close to stay. ;)

Strangely Brown
11th Jul 2001, 19:19
For SFT/PPSC I stayed at Bramcote Hall Hotel in Boscombe (about 5 miles) and many more students from SFT were there at the same time. 18 months ago the cost was £16.00 per room per night for Bed, Breakfast and Evening meal (choice of main course). There is also a small bar. Nice people and good accommodation

Bramcote Hall Hotel
1 Glen Road
Boscombe
Dorset
BH5 1HR

Tel 01202 395555

[ 11 July 2001: Message edited by: Strangely Brown ]

Megaton
11th Jul 2001, 19:26
Bramcote Hall full for Aug/Sep refresher at PPSC.

ATCNightmare
13th Jul 2001, 03:36
Why not try renting?

Any Seaside town or city with a University caters for SHORT TERM accomodation.

Oxford for example has a massive student population, whilst Bournmouth is a holiday town so both are bound to have SHORT TERM places to let.

Try contacting local estate agents and look for Short term leases (usually 3-6months) - most ST leases offer fully inclusive (ie Bills) rent and you may find your offered a discount for paying in advance (if you can).

Must be cheaper than paying £20+ in a B&B???

martinf
13th Jul 2001, 11:57
My tuppence is for OATS - unfortunately I can not remember the name - it is just along the main access road to the airport near a roundabout. Something Villa (s) - anyway very friendly, clean and great breakfasts. The people running it are very friendly and accomodating to your needs - like a late arrival.
:D

I agree this could be bad if some advertisers get on the page but I am pretty sure that Scroggs can sort it out.