View Full Version : Firefox error message

BOAC
1st Jan 2011, 11:17
Here goes for 2011! XP Pro SP3 FF 3.6.13. Just this morning, pages on a website I run were failing to load, with this message:

Cannot Complete Request
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

IE8 loaded the pages fine. When I re-loaded the defaulting pages to the server, the fault cleared. Google has not offered much help - any ideas?

green granite
1st Jan 2011, 11:39
I'm afraid that 3.6.13 appears to be broken, we've had 2 security updates for it and after each one more sites no longer work, or don't work properly.

I've taken to using the V4 beta edition which seems to be fully functional although I'm not totally enamoured by the changes in the layout.

vulcanised
1st Jan 2011, 11:48
Still using 3.5.1 here and the occasional oddity I get is 'Firefox cannot find that page' when hitting the Back button. Other than that it works ok but takes forever to load on first of the day.

BOAC
1st Jan 2011, 12:33
Thanks, gg - now trying to adapt to 4 beta!

Load Toad
1st Jan 2011, 12:43
I'm using Chrome more and more. I find 3.6.13 slow and clunky - it quite often fails to load pages and takes two or three attempts to get to pages that I know are fine with other browsers.
Before when I've had Firefox issues I've found disabling some add-ons solves the problem - but one of the reasons I liked FF was that it was quick & I could choose some useful add-ons to improve it.

Chrome is slowly convincing me its the best for me.

911slf
1st Jan 2011, 18:44
My experience with Firefox and Adblock Plus is that I hardly ever see adverts. This is a priority for me. I found Opera much faster but it seemed quite tedious to block adverts. How is the ad situation with Chrome?

My instinct is to stay with Firefox and see if version 4 is better?

Would welcome comments.

regards

racedo
1st Jan 2011, 19:40
Its getting to the stage where FF is freezing and locking computer as well as being a huge drain on memory capacity that now looking at other options.

Love FF simply as no adverts but its getting ridiculous at this moment in time.

Saab Dastard
1st Jan 2011, 21:18
I can recommend FF4 - see thread here:

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/422676-firefox-4-0-beta.html

SD

Load Toad
1st Jan 2011, 22:00
Chrome can use Adblock too - no problem.