PDA

View Full Version : All you need to Know about DGCA CPL Conversion (DOs & Donts)

DJ Flyboy
31st Dec 2010, 06:51
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DGCA CONVERSION
Documents needed from your Flying School (All originals, no scans or copies. All certified by CFI except where mentioned)
1. Certificate of 200 hrs Total Time
2. Certificate of 100 hrs PIC
3. Certificate of Instrument time actual and synthetic (should include details each sortie and sim session, like date, a/c type & reg, inst time, toatal time)
4. Certificate of XCs over 100nm Radius (should include details of each sortie including date,a/c type & reg,route,distance,time)
5. 300 nm PIC XC certificate with all details
6. 250 nm XC check by day certificate with details (can log it as PIC ie P1/US)
7. 120 nm XC check by night Certificate with details (can log it as PIC ie P1/US)
8. Flight test report CA40 for both Day & Night
9. IR check report with two approaches
10. Certificate of 15 hrs PIC in last 6 months with details of each sortie
11. Certifiacte of 5 hrs instrument time (actual) in last 6 months with details of each sortie
12. Certificate of 5 hrs night Pic in last 6 months with details of each sortie
13. CA39 for 5 yrs and 6 months certified by your CFI
14. Valid CPL & Medical
15. Verification of your CPL and Medical from the Civil Aviation Authority of the country you are doing your flying in
16. Verification of the flying school from the Civil Aviation Authority of the country you are doing your flying in
17. Incident/Accident report from the Civil Aviation Authority of the country you are doing your flying in
18. Certificate of ground study and exam result
Documents you will need to get in India
1. Class 10th and 12th Mark sheets with Attested copies.
2. Verification of 10th and 12th mark sheets.
3. Pass Result of DGCA Pilot Exam (Navigation, Meteorology, Air Regulations) with Attested Copies.
4. RTR (P) with Attested Copy.
5. FRTOL with Attested Copy(you can either get the frtol before applying for conversion or with your application)
6. Morse Code signal reception test report
7. Indian Class 1 Medical with Attested Copy.
8. Attested Copies of Passport and Visa.
9. Five 3cm x 4cm recent Photographs with Name.

Before you submit your application you need to make a covering letter addressed to dgca which should clearly state all the documents you are submitting , have two copies of it, one to submit and the other will act as the receipt.
You will also need a Draft for the application fee made out in the name of ‘DGCA, PAO, MCA, New Delhi’ . The details of the fee are
· For CPL conversion of single engine ac with only one type(eg C152)with IR: Rs 10000
· For Cpl conversion Multi /IR and SE/IR(eg C152 & PA 34): Rs20000
· If you are also applying for FRTOL then add another : Rs 5000

DJ Flyboy
31st Dec 2010, 07:04
For any other AC indorsement add another : Rs 5000

When you submit your application dont forget to get your copy of the covering letter stamped by the clerk.

It takes about 1-2 months for your application to be processed.

DOs

1. Double check all the documents before submitting and make sure all the documents i have mentioned have been included.
2. Complete the application including the checklist provided in the end
3. Submit all the originals in a separate envelope.
4. Ask if you any doubts.
5. After one month is over keep visiting DGCA safdarjung to inquire about your application

DONTs

1. Approach or use any Tout, Middleman or Agent.
2. Get disheartened by the rude behaviour of the staff (swallow your pride :{)
3. Argue with the staff (be polite but a firm)
4. Bribe anybody

In my experience all work is done legitimately if you have patience.
Dont give up keep at it..dont believe any tout..i have friends who used a tout and then were blackmailed later into paying more. Save your parents money
Time is a luxury you do have as of now, contrary to popular belief.

Also when you are flying dont over log even if some ppl are doing it even if yopu take a few extra days or months to complete your training..trust me on this..you will thank me later.

I ll keep adding stuff cheers!!

Eddie757
3rd Jan 2011, 18:28
@ DJ Flyboy

Hey there,
Thanks for the excellent information, it is much appreciated! :ok:

I have a question for you (pls excuse me if its a silly one):
I am an FAA CFI/ CFII with over 1000hrs. Do you think the DGCA would accept it if I certify my own documents? ....I would prefer not to travel back to California right now for a few signatures..

Thanks!

cyrilroy21
3rd Jan 2011, 19:04
@Eddie

i dont think you can certify it yourself

You need to get it certified from the chief flying instructor at your flying school and not from any CFI
When dgca says CFI its means Chief Flight Instructor not Certified FLight Instructor as in the U.S

The general flying test also has to signed by the person who took the test in your logbook also

P.S

You dont have to go back to california to get it signed

You send them the typed documents ask them to print it out on their letterhead and sign and stamp it .
They can then fedex it you

Eddie757
3rd Jan 2011, 19:44
Thanks!! :)

josh121.5
4th Jan 2011, 07:01
@flyboy :

for the IR requirement :

if im requesting for a Multi-IFR , the 20hrs instrument time on the aircraft should be on the multi or is it allright if yu have 15hrs multi and 5 hrs on the single ? plz reply..

sam8808
6th Jan 2011, 13:31
josh121.5,

You need to have a total of 40 instrument hours out of which at least 20hrs or more have to be on any aircraft.

sam8808
6th Jan 2011, 14:56
Anyone know if the english language proficiency test is required for conversion?

sam8808
8th Jan 2011, 08:02
...anyone?

DJ Flyboy
10th Jan 2011, 00:44
Anyone know if the english language proficiency test is required for conversion?

No it is not required..dgca is a little hazy on this rule..they themselve dont know how to implement it..so its not required right now..they will let you know how to get it done in the future

DJ Flyboy
10th Jan 2011, 01:22
Do you think the DGCA would accept it if I certify my own documents?

I really doubt it. its better if you courier them all the documents ad have them couriered back after getting them stamped just like cyrilroy21 said.

spacecraft
18th Feb 2011, 06:06
hello friendss....just to know when i submit my documents for conversion do i need valid class I dgca and valid class I CASA.. Thanks...

jackcarls0n
18th Feb 2011, 08:09
Does the logbook still needs to be endoresed by the Chief Flight Instructor of the school where I trained at? The Logbook is signed by the CFI, CFII, MEI and the Checkride pilot already.

I can get all the letters and statements, would that be enough?

Please advise.

Also, the passport, does one need to be an Indian Citizen or being a Person of Indian Origin is enough as well?

Sperry CL2
26th Feb 2011, 14:38
Hello Guys need you help this is really getting serious dont know how its works:ugh:
what i wanted to ask is -
250nm X-country(day test) + 120nm X-country(night test) will it include the general flying test by day and Night.

Will it be excepted if i do 250nm + 120nm X-country on Single engine.

It will appreciated if you post regarding this

Cheers guys:ok:

AviatorVette
28th Feb 2011, 06:38
Thanks subscribed for later.!!!

FLYPINTU
28th Feb 2011, 18:06
@sperry:

250 x- country test is different from general flight test by day

and 120 x-country check is different from general flight test by day

so you have to do seperate check for general flying test for day & night apart from 250&120

yes you can do 250 & 120 on single engine a/c

:ok:

Sperry CL2
28th Feb 2011, 18:26
@ FLYPINTU - Thanks for your prompt reply man:ok:

one more issue - Can i do 250nm + 120nm X-country with Safety instructor and log it as SOLO hours.

Cheers:ok:

FLYPINTU
1st Mar 2011, 04:44
@sperry

you have to do 250 and 120 with an instructor

Yes you can log its as pic

Sperry CL2
1st Mar 2011, 11:33
@FLYPINTU - Thanks man for your help :D
Cheers :ok:

t.a
10th Mar 2011, 11:04
First my thanks to DJ Flyboy for this valuable information.

Could any one please split the cost involved in the licence or provide me with the link on the dgca website that give more information about it.

I think "Fees Rs. 5000 for each issue and Rs 5000 for each aircraft endorsements/ rating to be submitted in the form of Bank Draft Payable to PAO, DGCA, Ministry of Civil Aviation, New Delhi. " as read on the DGCA convertion flow chart on (B) 7 point. http://dgca.nic.in/licencing/conversion.pdf

but DJ Flyboy above says
· For CPL conversion of single engine ac with only one type(eg C152)with IR: Rs 10000
· For Cpl conversion Multi /IR and SE/IR(eg C152 & PA 34): Rs20000
· If you are also applying for FRTOL then add another : Rs 5000

but in that case won't it be only 5000Rs for Second point since he/she should have already paid for IR (SE or ME) on the first point (won't that be included in the initial IR issue) so was wondering if it is 10000k per additional add on rating?, Is it a revised cost than the one published on dgca website in the conversion flowchart?

Also what is FRTOL, i have a lifetime Indian RTR. does i need this FRTOL in along with RTR while submitting application at DGCA? Heard it is need to student pilots in India for performing RT on board an aircraft while training. Is it also applicable for conversion?

Thanks for looking in
Cheers
t.a

DJ Flyboy
13th May 2011, 06:48
You have to pay extra 5000 for endorsement of IR on a new a/c

viper005
22nd Jun 2011, 11:21
I have flown 25 hours on a single engine a/c in India , also have passed my CPL subject papers along with Indian R/T ..however I do not wish to continue my flying in India.
I am aware that one requires Regulation , Meteorology and Navigation for conversion of his/ her lic. ; My query is would the DGCA consider all of my 5 papers whn they issue me a lic. or would only consider the above mentioned 3.
I have worked hard to pass my technical general and do not wish to appear again for it.
can anyone pls guide me through this..

Regards..Viper :)

Maverick 03
22nd Jun 2011, 13:15
As you said that u do not wish to continue your flying in India anymore, and also that u have cleared all your papers, then DGCA would not be having any issues in granting u your license once you have got a foreign CPL..

U'll just need to apply for the conversion and submit your 3 marksheets viz the Nav, Met n Regs...thats it

U won't be required to submit the Technical marksheet because the country u shall be flying in, will issue the rating of that aircraft on their CPL.:ok:

viper005
24th Jun 2011, 15:16
Thank you for replying.. I am aware about the pprs required for the conversion of license in India..however my concern is about my technical ppr.. I have heard this but not sure thou that the guys who have done their CPL in India do not need to appear for the technical general ppr during their ATPL while the composite one have too..just need to get this thing cleared before moving ahead with my flying :)

Viper005

Maverick 03
24th Jun 2011, 16:26
First of all I would like to advise you that at this moment u should probably be concerned about from where u have to do your flying and how soon u can complete it so that u can get your Indian CPL and so that u become eligible to apply to an airline for a job.....worrying about your ATPL wouldn't be a good idea....

But anyways about your query...I am not sure about what u are saying is correct or not, but I don't think that CPL and ATPL papers have any kind of link...
I think you should get a second opinion mate..

viper005
25th Jun 2011, 19:08
you are absolutely correct would make sure I finish my CPL first... thnks

bayblade
5th Aug 2011, 13:10
for the IR do we need to full fill 50 hrs solo xcountry or is it PIC xcountry?

cyrilroy21
5th Aug 2011, 13:14
@bayblade

Its given solo in the flow chart but on the CPL application form and even in the CARS its given as PIC cross country .
Just make sure the radius from the departure airport is 100nm or more and mention the distance flown for every cross country ( either total or one way )

bayblade
5th Aug 2011, 13:32
yes thats the reason i wanted to cross check it with guys here who got their licence converted recently.
thanks for your input.

bayblade
18th Aug 2011, 06:10
is IR required on SE and ME both or is MEIR just fine?
how do we generate verification letter of the flying school? (USA)

LieDetector
3rd Sep 2011, 17:35
Does anyone know how long does it take for your license to be issued once it comes under processing?

cyrilroy21
3rd Sep 2011, 17:59
I believe the time period right now is one and a half months for those who are converting their licenses .

For IR renewal and new aircraft endorsements not sure ......

LieDetector
3rd Sep 2011, 18:37
That is from the date of submission, i meant once they open your file for processing.

DJ Flyboy
3rd Sep 2011, 18:40
There is no fixed time can be 15 days or 3 months depends on their mood. Go to their office everyday and bug (beg) them..leave your ego at the door.

candy0343
6th Sep 2011, 15:14
Hi ,
I have a FAA Multi Commercial as per requirements I did my 300nm/250nm/120nm X-country and all the checks on C-172 so for the conversion do I need to have a single engine add on or can i directly submit for conversion. I did my Private Instrument on C-172 .
I am also planning on getting a Canadian CPL and RTR as I have given lots of attempt at Indian RTR and could not clear so do u think its a good idea as I have been getting confusing ans from many people.

cyrilroy21
6th Sep 2011, 17:45
@candy0343

Yes the Indian DGCA will issue you a single engine endorsement on your CPL even though you only have a private single engine on your FAA license .

Just make sure that you do all the necessary skill checks and take off and landings by day and night . Also dont forget the IR check .

I do hope that you are planing on getting a Multi IR endorsed on your Indian DGCA license . Because airlines like IndiGo require the Multi IR endorsed on the Indian DGCA license ( and they seem to be the only one hiring frequently :{ )

Now about converting to a Canadian license and getting a canadian RT

I am not an expert that topic but i guess its a good idea to get one as you can avoid the hassle of passing the RT exams .
There were quite a number of topics on this forum on converting and obtaining a Canadian CPL and RT

But it will take the WPC atleast 2-3 months for them to issue you an Indian RT license after you apply for one .

So when you apply for the RT license do it in person . Make a cover letter along with the application and get a " Received " stamp on it from the office.
This will act as proof that you applied for the RT license .

You can give this letter along with your DGCA application form . But the DGCA will only issue your Indian CPL once you get the RT license in hand and submit it at the DGCA office

stiknruddr
7th Sep 2011, 13:55
@ cyrilroy21

Regarding the conversion of Canadian RT license,
Is it possible to apply for conversion on the basis of canadian PPL or does the CPL have to be endorsed on the License booklet.

Would save me some time of i can get the RTR before i finish the CPL here in Canada

Thanks

aviator86
8th Sep 2011, 07:00
@stiknruddr (http://www.pprune.org/members/367996-stiknruddr)

As far as I know you need a your Canadian cpl endorsed on your license.

sunny_07
9th Dec 2011, 01:33
first of all, i want to thank all friends here for being so helpful,

my question is, for the day/nicht/cross country checks,

do we actually need to do a seperate flight with instructor?

or can they just sign it coz we passed our flight test, and obviously we did dual cross countries with them at day and night too.

thanking you friends..

stiknruddr
9th Dec 2011, 02:26
Guys
Need some clarity on the process for getting CBSE Verification.

1. Who do i write to for this? Regional officer, Secretary, president ?
2. Draft for how much, in favour of ?
3. I want the sealed envelope with verfication to be sent to me directly. will they accomodate? whats the expected time for a response

Akki88
4th Jan 2012, 06:47
Hey guys...I have done my flying from USA...the problem is i have done it from 3 different schools..
the school i did from in the first place has closed down..
Now i have to submit my documents for conversion to DGCA..is it possible if i submit all the documents certified and verified by FAA instead of ant school.. Will DGCA accept my documents??

K.O.
20th Oct 2012, 09:39
Hey DJ,

I wanted to ask what these certificates are supposed to look like? One piece of paper that celebrates getting 200 hrs TT etc? or will one letter including all of the certificate items be enough if its endorsed by the chief pilot. I got really funny looks from the people who work in the flight department of my university when i told them about the requirements. Their initial answer was "we don't do that here". Do the nice people at the DGCA just need PROOF of what we've done and so they asked for a cert? also, wouldn't it be clear as day, that you meet the requirements if its all in your logbook? i managed to get that sealed and signed by the chief pilot too. what are "all details" on a cross country supposed to be? Is the flight school that I went to supposed to use the CA40 form for all my checkrides? can i substitute it with something in-house? CA39 verification by my CFI...I had 8 over 2 years. what do i do with that? I'm sure there are quite a few pilots out there who have done their training in the states, who know how incompatible the Indian system is with the high functional, easy to understand american system. Any clarification would be good. btw...theres a new conversion flow chart out. http://dgca.nic.in/circular/FCL1_2012.pdf
explains a couple this more clearly. i don't know why India has to be special and won't believe the legitimacy of training provided in other countries. :ugh:

cheers, happy landings.

Ghost_Rider737
20th Oct 2012, 09:53
It takes about 1-2 months for your application to be processed.

This place is a joke. Money making scam full of paperwork and bull sh:mad:T

Customs officials at major airports look like navy commanders !! Only thing they command is the pen in their pockets.....Freaking signatures over and over on tons of paper....wasted trees

K.O.
10th Jan 2013, 13:05
In my research, I have found that the DGCA does not adhere to its own regulations regarding PIC time as per Aircraft Rule 1937 - 67A subpart (6) which clearly states that

"Flight time spent in performing, under supervision of a pilot-in-command, the duties and functions of a pilot-in-command may be logged as pilot-in-command provided the person is entitled and authorized to fly in command of that type of aeroplane by virtue of the ratings and privileges of his pilot’s license".

The DGCA seems to ask for 100 hours of Solo time as per the "APPLICATION FOR THE ISSUE/ CONVERSION OF COMMERCIAL PILOT’S LICENCE (AEROPLANE) with INSTRUMENT RATING / without INSTRUMENT RATING" in item number 12, however in Flight Crew Licensing Circular 1 of 2012 "FCL_1_2012", there is no mention of 100 hours solo time being a requirement for conversion of a foreign license to an Indian one.

Anyone care to comment? Any suggestions? Anyone tried to fight this?

flylikeaBE76
10th Jan 2013, 14:22
It has been fought hard by me, which is why they brought out the new "rule" which I guess somehow supersedes it.
I was forced to do the hours solo and only then was the license issued. Long hard battle to no avail.

K.O.
10th Jan 2013, 17:09
What new rule are you referring to? Can you link me to it? I think this needs to be taken up with the ICAO. ITS IN THE DAMN CAR'S FOR GOODNESS SAKE! :ugh:

public_
22nd Nov 2013, 19:20
I did my flying from 2007 to 2009
CPL in Canada was issued in 2009
My CPL is valid currently.

According to DGCA website - 200 hous have to be in last preceding 5 years.
Does someone have experience with this and can advise me If my license is valid i can still convert or i cannot because hours have lapsed.

prasannatash
16th Sep 2014, 12:40
I have a doubt. VERY SILLY...but still. I am new to aviation business. Too young!

After converting an Indian CPL to New Zealand CPL, is the CPL valid in BOTH the countries? Meaning, can I apply for a commercial airline of India AND New Zealand BOTH ???

Also,
What is a FROZEN ATPL ?
:sad::sad:

Mentat
3rd Oct 2014, 18:06
The short answer to your first question is yes.

Frozen ATPL means that you have cleared the written/viva voce exams but have not yet gained the requisite real time experience (hours) to actually be issued with an ATPL.

Th3Grung3
24th Jul 2016, 15:00
Hey guys! I've written down my time done on sim and got each and every entry signed but forgot to get it stamped in my dgca log book. I do have a certificate which has my hours authenticated and stamped by my school CFI. Will this be an issue during conversion?

cyrilroy21
24th Aug 2016, 20:47
@ Bored Aviator

This is one the many Grey areas that exists among the various rules in Indian DGCA

The DGCA has always asked for Sole Occupant on board whenever it refers to PIC time ( for issue of CPL and below ) even though the rules say otherwise.
One reason for this is because in India everyone goes straight from a Student Pilot License to CPL . I am sure you must be knowing even in foreign countries the holder of a Student Pilot License cannot log PIC unless you fly as sole occupant.

A friend of mine who learnt to fly in Canada faced the same issue . He approached the Director General Mr. Arun Mishra back then and managed to get the CPL.

But the DTL section issued the CPL without IR.

The Director General then changed and he was faced with no option but to approach the courts.

It took almost two years but he finally won the case and was issued his Instrument rating last year

You can read the case details here

https://app.box.com/s/tmrco08bkzsxpgd9q41ictsvzyumwje5

You can approach the DGCA with a copy of the same.

If you feel that you don't get any respite you can approach the Ministry of Civil Aviation for relief