PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get into airlines

ASTAR27
31st Dec 2010, 01:37
I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this but I wasn't sure where else to post.
I an a 3000 hour ATP helicopter pilot (FAA). I am considering going into the airlines particularly Asian airlines. I was told that my 3000 hours total time is a huge advantage to getting into the airlines.
Can you please share your thoughts on this with me?
I only have about 24 hours fixed wing right now but of course would pursue my additional ratings.

Thanks!

mutt
31st Dec 2010, 13:53
Around here they ask for FIXED wing time, they dont count rotary nor military time............

Mutt

zondaracer
31st Dec 2010, 16:33
Some airlines, and when I say some, I mean few, will count rotary time, up to a limit. Otherwise, it could be a good conversation piece for an interview. I have seen on one occasion an airline specifically saying that they accept rotary time in their application, but up to 500 hrs.

Some corporate operators I hear like guys with both fixed wing and rotary time so that they can hire one pilot to fly both. I think CBP (US Customs and Border Protection) and US Forest Service hire dual rated guys.

ReverseFlight
31st Dec 2010, 17:51
ASTAR27, I think the only rotary time an airline might be interested in is your instrument time, and by that I mean the hours you have flown either IMC, night or offshore. Unless you have done a lot of approaches in IMC or at night it might not matter anyway. Besides, the major airlines are focussed mostly on S-I ILS/VOR approaches which helicopters don't usually use. For the regional airlines, your hours doing non-precision approaches in IMC/night could be of value. I don't believe 3000 hours total time RW is of itself any interest to the average airline.

IMHO, the value of your experience lies in the RW industry. You would be competing with a lot of FW novices if you transferred to FW airlines and it's like starting from zero again. If I were you, I'd stay RW, even if it means waiting longer for a job (in case you are not currently employed). The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence, I'm afraid. Airline cadet and pay-to-fly programs have led to cut-throat competition at the entry level for FW wannabes.

ASTAR27
7th Jan 2011, 11:45
Thanks for the replies.

I am happily employed but someone I respect that deals with a significant amount of affairs in China suggested I look into going into the airlines in Asia and that the RW time that I have will allow me to advance past the entry level FW jobs that don't pay much and are harder to get. My passion lies in RW flying but from what he said, it would be lucrative enough that it might allow me to buy my own helicopter and fly it for fun for myself someday.
Sounded pretty good :)

Thanks again!:ok:

ReverseFlight
8th Jan 2011, 10:31
From my post in another thread: http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/348697-if-you-want-work-china-7.html#post6162786
I can't speak for the Chinese authorities but you will find that the State owned airlines usually employ experienced foreign pilots for Captain positions while foreign F/Os may find jobs in privately owned carriers.
This is generally true for experienced crew. FW entry level jobs are scarce in China except for instructional work. If you have a RW FI rating then you could be a hot commodity in China.