PDA

View Full Version : Robinson crash during flood relief QLD

blakmax
30th Dec 2010, 10:20
Lots of flooding in Australia, especially in central Queensland. Unfortunately, one of the relief helicopters came to grief soon after take off. Thankfully, the pilot walked away.

No injuries in Qld helicopter crash (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/no-injuries-in-qld-helicopter-crash-20101230-19b1i.html)

No one has been injured after a helicopter crashed in the flood-ravaged town of Emerald in central Queensland.
The helicopter came down beside Oorealea racecourse shortly after taking off at 6pm (AEST) on Thursday, a State Emergency Services (SES) spokesman told AAP.
The helicopter had not gained much height when it came down, landing on its side on Racecourse Road.
The pilot was the only person on board the aircraft and he emerged unscathed shortly after the crash, the spokesman said.
The Robinson single-person helicopter was being used for personal purposes.
It was initially feared the helicopter may have been one used to evacuate people from the flood-ravaged town.
Black Hawk helicopters were deployed to Emerald on Thursday to take evacuees to the airport.
Up to 2500 residents are planning to evacuate their homes, with road and rail access to the town cut off due to rising floodwaters.

These guys are doing an amazing amount of difficult humanitarian work under extreme circumstances. I am just pleased that their efforts weren't at a higher personal cost this time.

topendtorque
30th Dec 2010, 11:11
watched the Qld Premier tonite, she quoted up to 200,000 people affected from 22 towns in an area the size of France and Germany combined. the big ding yet to come for Rocky. talking GDP losses in excess of $6B and repair cost, who knows. close to tears she was.

fuel supply is gotta get critical soon surely with roads and rail cut from all directions

just pray they don't get another major rain influence.

Qld. govt kicked off the premiers appeal with $1M. one of the mining companies and coles, one of whose big stores is right under water, each kicked in another $1M.

what did they get from Jooolyeahhh, one lousy million, big Kev must have give it all away.

Reefdog
30th Dec 2010, 12:41
Dont want to be a doomsdayer, or gloomster but any idea who's machine and who was the pilot??
know a few blokes out that way in the mustering game,is all.

reef

blakmax
30th Dec 2010, 19:02
Reefdog, No more tangible information available, and probably won't be. Usual press approach: no death, no interest, back to the important story of the day about Lyndsay Lohan's broken finger nail.

It was interesting to note that the R22 is reported as a single person helicopter.

Nigel Osborn
30th Dec 2010, 19:56
The R22 looked very sad lying on its side in the TV news. Wonder why he crashed so soon after take off:confused:

Nigel Osborn
30th Dec 2010, 22:57
This morning the TV news said the 28 year old pilot crashed on his right side on landing. The Robbie doesn't have much damage to the cockpit area. No idea why he rolled.

topendtorque
30th Dec 2010, 23:09
many of them have lowering or raising collectives, which take a bit of time to sort.

hand off to do something at the wrong time, (like fiddle with the volume - lift the cyclic bias control - wave to the crowd - that sort of thing) bit of cyclic movement, Bang - down it goes.

the drivers of the other machinery must have been real pleased, lucky it stopped quick instead of shedding bits of metal everywhere.

helihub
31st Dec 2010, 07:32
http://202.58.40.60/elements/img/article/638x359/skynews_558175.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201012/r695985_5287505.jpg

topendtorque
1st Jan 2011, 11:36
jungle talk speaks about large esky and not enough room in cabin. also very close miss of locally owned squirrel. Lucky the 22 didn't hit it as local owner very unhappy and loud words were spoken, so it has been alleged. if the above is true then 22 pilot very lucky it was only words me thinks.

Ag-Rotor
1st Jan 2011, 22:41
A smile etched across my dial reading TET's thread regarding the loud words spoken by the local operator. I would sujest he is well practiced as He has seen a lot of distruction of good equipment over the years. Me thinks he's entitled to a word or two !!!