PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on tarmac for 11 hours

Peter47
29th Dec 2010, 12:59
I'm not sure which forum to post this. Probably different forums for the various questions, but here goes:

I have just read that passengers on a BA flight from London and a Cathay flight from Vancouver were on the ground for eight hours awaiting a gate and that passengers on another CX flight from HKG to JFK were on the ground in Toronto for 15 hours. I get annoyed after two hours on the tarmac (not unknown for departures from JFK).

You may be able to answer some questions for me:

1. Does the CX HKG - YVR - JFK flight pre-clear at YVR? I presume that it doesn't. (If it had been BA1/3 from LCY via SNN I suppose that the 318 could have gone to any domestic gate to disembark or even another airport.)

2. There were no gates available at the BA terminal at JFK. How easy would it have been to tow an aircraft onto a holding area? (Again I presume that everything was iced in and it would have been too dangerous.) Also does the fact that the terminal is leased & operated by BA change legal responsibility if claims arise?

3. Many years ago a BA flight that was heavily delayed was divitered to the International Arrivals Building at JFK (yes I am getting on) as it was the only one with 24 hours immigration & customs. Could the flights have used Terminal 4 or any other terminal for that matter?

4. What is the rule about a pilot taxiing an aircraft if (s)he goes out of hours. What are the wider questions of crew hour legality as the passengers were being looked after by crews who would have been well out of hours?

5. What if a medical emergency had been declared (which given that stress levels are far higher on the ground is not unlikely)? Do you find an ambulance and a set of steps, or find a stand, or fimd a domestic stand and keep everyone else on board?

6. Going back to Cathay at Toronto, I would imagine that most (but not all) passengers would have entry rights into Canada. Could you have allowed the passengers off and kept those without a Canadian visa who needed one in the departure lounge? Its several years since I have been through Canada and I don't know how easy it is to hold passengers airside?

Sorry, rather a lot of questions but any answers welcome.

British Grenadier
31st Dec 2010, 20:38
Ask the sodding Airline !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored: :bored:

Tamazi
1st Jan 2011, 08:16
And a Happy New Year to you too -British Grenadier. Lets us hope 2011 turns out to be a better place for you than 2010!

411A
3rd Jan 2011, 03:13
At any landing rights airport in the USA (no idea about Canada...sorry) Customs and Immigration Enforcement (ICE) call the shots, regarding parking/disembarking passengers.
The airline has no say in the matter, except....possibly in the case of a dire medical emergency.
Crew duty times?
No say, either.
In the case of CX, clearly the airline dispatched the airplane far too early to KJFK, as there had been a lot of snow in the last 24 hours, and many gates were blocked.
In short, a CX fcek-up....certainly not unknown for that company.:}