PDA

View Full Version : Giving DGCA conversion exams after PPL

coolboy007
28th Dec 2010, 23:25
Hello people,
Am Rajat from India, 18 years old who has come to USA for commercial pilot training.

Currently am in Miami, Florida doing my commercial pilot training here in Dean International school. Am about to complete my private pilot next week as am almost through and my checkride is scheduled for Jan 6.

I have come to know that:
1. DGCA is increasing exam count from present composite - Nav and met + air regs and RT to something more. Dont know whats the truth behind it so need some guidance.

2. The famous RT department is being given to DGCA now which increases chances of doing a recency as i know RT exams are really tough, the kind of questions they ask are sometimes plain stupid - eg - whats the temp of this tubelight was asked to one of my friend :\

3. Now am planning to finish my PPL, build hours upto 100 and then come back to India for giving the exams. Am i eligible to give all the exams which a pilot doing commercial from USA requires to get his license converted to Indian license?

4. Is it a good decision or bad decision, i feel its better i go back and easily give exams without the recency sword hanging on my neck, i know people who needed to do recency 2 times due to RT exams and i dont want to waste my time and money.

5. We need to give some extra exams when we come after doing a plain PPL right? What are they?

Is it worth the effort to come back and give exams, i have no problems with study, i can work hard and give 3-4 exams more but i dont wanna come back for recencies.
Thanks

superdunkaroos
29th Dec 2010, 05:09
hey rajat

1)Here is the rough draft issued by DGCA which shows the 5 eams for cpl
http://www.dgca.nic.in/misc/draft%20cars/Pilot%20Syllabus(draft).pdf

Does this apply to foreign license conversion(probably yes), when will it take effect ?
I don't know

2)Not really sure what your query is?

3) To give the exams the minimum you require is 100 hours and a private license. Refer to DGCA website to get your computer number and exam roll no

From the CAR'S
7.5 Conversion of Pilots License issued by Foreign Authorities
The applicant should have:
(a) Computer Number issued by CEO, DGCA.
(b) Passed 10+2 standard examination with Physics and Mathematics
subjects from a recognized Board/ University or its equivalent
examination.
(c) Pilot License issued by ICAO Contracting State for the respective
category for which application is made.

4)I have seen people do both i.e give exams after their private license and after their commercial license.
Depends on you and how much you can get done.

coolboy007
30th Dec 2010, 02:33
Hi Superdankaroos,

Thanks a lot for your reply. So i need 100 hours and a PPL to give the conversion papers, am planning on doing some 120-140 hours and then come back so they dont make another stupid rule by the time i come.

For 10+2 Phy and Maths, is there any marks requirement? I scored a little low in Maths but am pass in both subjects, would it interfere with computer no.

How tough it is to get computer nos? Some agents are already chasing me and saying they will get me a comp no. for 20k but i dont want to pay bribes and want to first go the right way.

I have decided that i am coming after PPL, i need to give a few more exams compared to if i had come after CPL like technical etc but then i feel its a safer option :p

cyrilroy21
30th Dec 2010, 02:39
Wow agents charging money for comp no. :eek:

The dgca changed the rules for issue of comp no. It was last updated on 12th november 2010

As per the new requirements all you need is to just pass 10+2 with math and physics . No flying experience required :D

They issue it once every month and it should be easy to obtain

superdunkaroos
30th Dec 2010, 03:39
Avoid middlemen at all costs.
If you do it the right way, it might take a little longer and require a bit more effort but trust me its doable.
Nowadays computer numbers are issued every month, just get your documents in order and post them off to DGCA.

The requirements are 'passed' 10th and +2, so don't worry about your marks.

The reason some people give it after their commercial is that they have a lot more knowledge(both from books and actual flying) but like i said that is upto you.

cheers!:ok:

pooja_flygurl
30th Dec 2010, 21:43
100hrs total time or P.I.C time required to sit for the exam ??

superdunkaroos
31st Dec 2010, 04:15
@pooja

It is 100 'Total hours'

PA-34
31st Dec 2010, 06:09
I think DGCA may not allow pilot with 100 hours and ppl to sit in composite exam, since to sit in composite exam CPL of contracting state is must, in this case he/she can sit for CPL general NAV,MET,REG exam n after clearing all these 3 subjects can go back complete the training and come back and apply for the license.

I may be wrong but thats what I have seen happening, it will be great if some one can correct me if I am wrong

cobra24
31st Dec 2010, 06:44
There are two ways to convert a foreign CPL into an Indian CPL.

1. You can apply for CPLCG category AFTER you have been issued a foreign CPL.
In this you have to give NAV/MET Composite and Air Regs exams.
2. Apply for CPLG category before you have your foreign CPL. In this you have to give separate exams for Nav, met and Regs.

I opted for the latter and it worked just as fine.

hawaijahaj
31st Dec 2010, 08:18
There is no such rule of 100 flying hours to give the exam...Download and read the instructions page of the new Exam form on the DGCA website.:=:=

http://dgca.nic.in/forms/Pilot/pilotexam.pdf

coolboy007
31st Dec 2010, 14:20
Cyrilroy,
Thanks a lot and yups agents do charge money nowadays..

Superdankaroos,
Am finally relieved that theres no marks requirement when applying for computer number.

PA-34
Thats a new piece of infi, so i need to apply for CPL G exams and give Nav, Met and Reg separately. It must be tough then giving everything separately but am prepared for it.

In addition to these 3 exams, do i need to give anything extra after coming straight out with a PPL.
Thanks

Cobra 24,
So you took the second option? You gave your Nav, Met and Regs separately before acquiring the foreign CPL? You came back for clearing papers before acquiring a CPL?

Is the schedule for CPL G same as posted on DGCA site? That means a lil more hardwork if you are giving CPL G.

coolboy007
31st Dec 2010, 14:24
Hawaijahaj,

Oh, am going through the whole thing now.. I would build some hours here anyway because i have paid almost all my installments as fees so dont want to take any risk..

hawaijahaj
1st Jan 2011, 06:34
Coolboy,
I was just stating the rule. I also gave the exam after my PPL and with 90 hours of flight time. And yes , It was CPLG . I gave Met , Regs and Nav and went back and cleared the RT exam after my CPL. Thats how I saved my recency. But now the rules have changed , you need to provide DGCA with a ground school certificate from a school which is APPROVED by DGCA. And the only ones which are approved I guess are the flying schools in India.
So be careful while choosing this way. :):):)

Denn
29th Jun 2011, 09:22
Hi Cyrilroy,
Can u please let me know what all are the subjects we must write the exam for converting foreign licence to Indian

cyrilroy21
29th Jun 2011, 09:46
@Denn

Check pm ( private messages )