PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Caribbean Airlines.

liverbird
26th Dec 2010, 18:59
Am thinking seriously about applying for Caribbean Airlines, can some one fill me in on what a first officer earns, and what is the leave rotation like?
Always fancied and wanted to live and work in the Caribbean!
I understand that they have ordered 9 new ATR72 Aircrafts, and some 15 Boeing 737NG, to make a fleet total of 32 aircrafts.
Also were do the Caribbean airlines pilots do there Type ratings on the 737NG, and are they bonded for a couple of years?
Am I right to think that an Aircraft on the medium and short haul flights, will have in the region of 8 to 10 Pilots per Aircraft or even more, so that makes a total of 256 to 320 pilots need to fill the gap.
So my estimates, is that they will need an extra 120 to 150 extra pilots over the next couple of years, or even more if they continue to expand around the Caribbean and find new routes into the United States.
I understand that many of the BWIA and Air Jamaica pilots have headed of to new pastures in the Middle East.
So what are the prospects like for someone without an 737NG Type rating?
And some 400 flying hours with 200 multi behind them.
And yes! I am a British citizen and can get a Jamaican passport as my Father is from Jamaica.

Thanks… :ok:

Ronny1992
26th Dec 2010, 22:58
Cant provide information on all that you seek above but I know in a report earlier this year their pilot numbers were at 171 (excluding) Air Jamaica. Also Earlier this year they had hiring taking place, but required you to be Jamaican or Trinidadian national for Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines respectively. From what I know it would be a hard task for you to get in unless you know someone because right here in Trinidad & Tobago there are pilots who want jobs and further more pilots in the Caribbean.
I'm sure we'd see opening between late 2011 and 2012 as the ATRs are expected to arrive then. As its expected that they but the prop pilots into the 738s.
Sure someone else would give you much more insight on this forum.

liverbird
27th Dec 2010, 13:45
Thanks Ronny, “I hope they do” Yes am sure there are many pilots in and around the Caribbean who want jobs, well one thing I know for sure is that I can tick one box.
So 171 pilots earlier in the year with only 13 aircrafts operating at that time, its still a good ratio of 13.2 pilots per aircraft.
A lot higher of my estimate of 8 to 10 pilots per aircraft.
So with a total sum of 32 aircrafts in the fleet, that includes the dash 8 and airbus replacements over the next few years! My estimates still come out with 422 pilots, still looks pretty good to me and the pilots of Trinidad and Jamaica.

:cool:

liverbird
12th Jan 2011, 20:08
Has anybody got anymore information on Caribbean airlines?:cool:

wind check
20th Jan 2011, 15:07
what licences are requiered by those local CAA? Do they allow JAA licences?

ironbird123
20th Jan 2011, 15:20
Fellows, you have to either have a Jamaican or Trinidad Commercial Pilot License or higher to get hired. It stated that in the ad. get that Jamaican passport first and then your license. good luck:)

emyers38
2nd Feb 2011, 23:23
Hi, the F/O's for CAL are making about $4g's USD per month with $50 perdiem per day. They start guys off on the Dash 8 pretty much right out of flight schools. The Dash does all the island hops but home every night. The company is in the middle of bringing AirJamaica into the mix so it is stretched big time right now. Not enough crews so they are looking for bodies. The flying is easy work and Trinidad is pretty civilized. CAL layovers in TOR, JFK, KIN, GEO. Nice weather for the most part with good equipment and mx. I'm on a contract for 6 more months but can see that they will need us a bit longer. It is a government run airline so there are lots of meaningless activities that just keep people employed which takes a bit of getting used to. But the people are nice. Overall, not a bad little company.

Damos
23rd Jun 2011, 07:06
Hey guys, this is my first post so please bare with me. Does anyone know when Caribbean will be hiring again and what are the requirements?
I'm a Canadian/Trinidadian with dual passports and I have a Trinidad and Canadian CPL with a multiple-engine IFR. My TT is a little over 500 hours.
Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated lol.:O

Damos
22nd Jul 2011, 03:16
Thanks for the info Rwy 31. I'll follow up with Caribbean and hope that one day in the near future I'll get that call.
For the time being I'll keep on instructing part-time and keep building hours.

Thanks again:)