PDA

View Full Version : F-111; Seek Info Servo Actuator Freezing/ re Crash, Jan., 1972, Upper Heyford, UK

ChristySweet
25th Dec 2010, 19:35
My father, Lt. Col Floyd B Sweet was killed while on training maneuvers, Jan 18, 1972 near RAF Leuchars, Scotland out of RAF Upper Heyford, England in F-111E, serial # 0018.

Attributed to pilot failure to configure the wings to landing position and the plane stalled into a hill on the base leg of landing immediately AFTER a high altitude training run.

I have found some info that Australian AF had problems with freezing components/ servo actuators that operated wing sweep
Anyone know any more about this or any other pertinent info re the plane's shortcomings?

I'm aware of the top Google Search F-111 memorial site ( no longer online) and of the Carlo Kopp writings.

He went by " Tiger" and was advisor in Viet Nam early 60's.
F 104 Starfighters at Luke, Arizona 65- 67.
He was awarded Silver Star in Thailand ca 1969 then transferred to Upper Heyford 20 TFS and the F-111 ca 1970 .

Please, anyone know him or have any info on his career or death?

Many thanks,

Christy Sweet
Can E Mail [email protected]

LowObservable
26th Dec 2010, 14:12
I have forwarded your note to someone who would know about it.

Sandy Hutton
26th Dec 2010, 18:03
I have a newspaper cutting of the time with a picture of the wreckage which I'd be happy to send on to you. The crash site isn't too far from my home.