PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Hire in Australia

Cirracuse
25th Dec 2010, 05:08
Hi,

I'm a newcomer on this forum, and I subscribed because I need some advice about aircraft hire in Australia.

I'm a French private pilot, I fly in New-Caledonia, and for my next holidays in may I'd like to get a certificate of validation. My dream is to fly the Australian outback on my own.

My first intention was to rent a plane (after a test flight with an instructor of course) in Darwin and in Alice Springs to fly 2 or 3 days around these cities.

According to what I've found on Internet, that may be possible in Alice Spring, but there is obviously no more aircraft hire company around Darwin (I'm looking for a C172 or a PA28, I'm only a private pilot...).

Could you tell me if you know where I could rent an aircraft around Darwin?

If that is not possible, where is it worth flying in Australia (and where can I find a plane?).

In addition, if I could find another pilot interested in New-Caledonia, do you know if somwhere I could rent a plane for more than a week?

Thank you

On Track
25th Dec 2010, 18:50
Hello Cirracuse:

I don't know about opportunities to rent aircraft in the Northern Territory, but there are organisations in Sydney (Bankstown and Camden airports) who could help.

On my last visit to Australia I rented from Airborne Aviation at Camden and found them very helpful (airborne-aviation.com.au).

I was flying on an Australian licence but I think they could probably meet your needs.

In my experience it is usually possible to rent for more than a week, but most operators will want you to average a certain number of flying hours per day while the aircraft is away.

YPJT
26th Dec 2010, 03:11
G'day Cirracuse,

To fly in Australia you will need either a special pilot licence or certificate of validation. See here (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90024#special) for further info.

Your biggest delay will be caused by our wonderful regulator who will go out of their way to make the whole experience not worth the effort.

Check you PMs

saseahawk
27th Dec 2010, 02:07
Hello Cirracuse,
the above mentioned link to the CASA website is the best place to start for licence conversion. But yes I have to agree that you should start very soon since this process can take long.
How about trying to ask local flying schools if they rent out aircraft. Usually flying school have Cessnas/Cirrus, or similar.
Not sure about Darwin but I know it is quite nice to fly around South East Queensland. Maybe worth a research.
Enjoy your holiday.

Cirracuse
27th Dec 2010, 12:27
Hi,

Thank you for your answers, that gives me new ideas for my trip.

I've found a flying school in Alice springs, but nothing near Darwin.

I will send very soon the documents to obtain a certificate of validation, I can see that civil aviation administrations are not different whatever the country.

If you have more advices or contacts, I'm still interested.