PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito crash 4 Jan 45

Steve Bond
24th Dec 2010, 08:24
Good morning all,

Mosquito LR557 of 51 OTU Cranfield, crashed at Wavendon Milton Keynes on 4 January 1945, killing both the crew. The pilot was Plt Off Thomas Shoolbread, but I would like to identify the navigator, and there is no accident record card in the RAF Museum.

Any ideas please?

Thanks and Happy Christmas

Steve

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Dec 2010, 08:35
I worked for a company that owned Wavendon Tower, and spent a lot of time there. I'd be interested to know where the aeroplane crashed in relation to the Tower.

Steve Bond
24th Dec 2010, 09:00
The area of the crash was approximately just to the south of the junction of the present day Groveway and Tongwell Street.

Ten days later a second Mosquito crashed where the new John Lewis distribution centre is now on what used to be called Fen Farm. A memorial was erected there three years ago.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Dec 2010, 10:32
Thanks Steve. One each side of Wavendon Tower, then!

Steve Bond
24th Dec 2010, 14:19
Indeed, and there was a Beaufighter even closer!

DeepestSouth
24th Dec 2010, 14:49
I suggest you might try The Mosquito Page. The Forum there offers the best information the Mosquito and the members are extremely helpful.

The link is:

Phorum :: WWW.MOSSIE.ORG Discussion Forum (http://www.mossie.org/forum)

Regards,

DS

Steve Bond
26th Dec 2010, 08:16
Many thanks DS, I will try that.

Steve Bond
27th Dec 2010, 08:30
The Mossie forum has come up with the name of Sgt Charles Brown from Newhaven as the probable second pilot.

Thanks for the help.

Steve Bond
4th Jan 2011, 11:34
Lest we forget - 66 years ago today.

Groundbeard
4th Jan 2011, 16:37
At least one Merlin from this crash used to be in the Museum at Bletchley Park - not sure if it's still there. They had some photos too, taken when the wreckage was found during building work in MK

Steve Bond
6th Jan 2011, 07:41
The BARG museum at Bletchley Park was closed down some years ago. I do not know what happened to all the exhibits, although I believe some went to Twinwoods who do have recovered parts from the second Mosquito crash.

Steve Bond
10th Jan 2011, 12:38
Correction to the identity of the trainee pilot. It was Flg Off Ian Cameron from Glasgow.