View Full Version : .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

Mr Optimistic
23rd Dec 2010, 16:22
Can anyone tell me what the above does/enables and what the consequences are if you ignore it ?

Mike-Bracknell
23rd Dec 2010, 18:02
.NET Framework Client Profile (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912.aspx)

Do you actually have anything installed that needs .NET Framework? or have you just been saying 'yes' willy-nilly to the automatic updates?

Mr Optimistic
25th Dec 2010, 21:55
thought about lying but truthfully, yes to the latter, but I think Roxio or something like that needs .Net in some way or demanded I installed it when I installed the software originally. Have I done bad ? Is there a way of telling what installed software does need it ?

mixture
26th Dec 2010, 10:39
Mr Optimistic,

Seeing as Mike-Bracknell has decided to play the "bad cop" role and beat you up over saying yes to Automatic Updates, I reckon I'd better inject some balance.

Firstly, you should be congratulated for saying yes to one too many automatic updates. Better to have too many updates than too few !

Secondly, I think it might be a good idea to ask you the reason behind your original question. What are you trying to achieve ?

Finally, in relation to what software requires .NET .... to be honest, if you've already got it installed on your computer, you might as well just keep updating .NET ..... will be quicker, easier and less painful for you than trying to track down what software is using it, looking into whether you need that software, uninstalling that software etc. etc. etc.

Mr Optimistic
26th Dec 2010, 12:12
Thanks ! No huge issue behind the question, just that when I did the 'custom' updates off MS, a .Net update was sitting there and I thought best to download it. Afterwards wondered what on earth this .Net thing does as it is very rarely mentioned in polite conversation, eg never seen an update to it recommended as a bug fix. I remember the hype of a year or two back but actually have no conception of what it does or what it allows to be done. If it is marginal to the machine I won't bother updating it in future.

mixture
26th Dec 2010, 14:10
Hi,

.NET is basically just a toolkit for programmers. It allows them to cut a few corners and write a few lines of code where they would otherwise need tens or hundreds. The side benefit is that it means their code is more consistent and perhaps even more stable because they are re-using ready made code for frequently used function.

If you've got software that has dependencies on it, it's probably worth keeping it updated. Otherwise I guess you could try to uninstall it and see what breaks ! :cool:

I'll see if I can dig up a way to track down dependencies.

Mike-Bracknell
26th Dec 2010, 16:26
If you've got software that has dependencies on it, it's probably worth keeping it updated. Otherwise I guess you could try to uninstall it and see what breaks ! :cool:

Now ya see, that's where I was going with my original questioning. I just shone the angle-poise lamp too much in his eyes! :)

Am totally in agreement about automatic updates and better to say yes than no, but if there's nothing installed that makes use of it then it may make more sense to remove the .NET framework(s) as they do appear to receive more than their fair share of updates, and it quickly becomes tedious (which is not what you want from something that's trying to make your life easier) :ok:

Mr Optimistic
26th Dec 2010, 16:36
seems odd that after the unintelligible (to a layman) ballyhoo when .Net was introduced and proclaimed to be....well whatever it was, that it should all now be so quiet in the back rows. I don't consider this an explanation (thanks for the link M-B.

The .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is a subset of the .NET Framework 4 that is optimized for client applications. It provides functionality for most client applications, including Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Forms, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and ClickOnce features. This enables faster deployment and a smaller install package for applications that target the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

I'll give the updates for that a miss for now, mostly as a pointless exercise in independence and self-determination.