PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Shortage Forecast

cyrilroy21
22nd Dec 2010, 23:48
In the next two decades, the North America aviation industry will be facing a shortage of pilots, the CBC's Laurie Graham reports

Pilot shortage forecast (http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/23581382)

MichaelOLearyGenius
23rd Dec 2010, 00:28
And remember the retirement bulge too :ok:

captainsuperstorm
23rd Dec 2010, 02:27
same old stories, when looking at the thousand and thousand of self sponsored students with their 200h, I can tell you there are enough pilots on this market for the next 20 years.

They talk about a Captain shortage. Airlines prefer to pay lot of money to a captain than training a 200h copilot. These flight schools are making fun of you, and you foul are spending a fortune in a total worthless training that nobody want.

not a chance for a 200h pilot! unless you are chinese!

Stallone
23rd Dec 2010, 03:23
so many license holders but none to give them a chance

and they come telling everybody there's a pilot shortage

perhaps they should wake up their idea

dan1165
23rd Dec 2010, 06:57
Piece of **** :E

Madder
23rd Dec 2010, 16:35
Complete bullocks. Aviation industry(Canada) in jeopardy due lack of pilots - right!:ugh: Flight schools struggling - flight schools are allways struggling to make money.

SNS3Guppy
23rd Dec 2010, 16:42
The mythical pilot shortage, always foretold and forecast by people trying to sell something. The people who warn of a pilot shortage are the ones selling flight training, or employment counseling. Kit Darby of Air Inc, no defunct, sold a lot of courses and training materials by insisting that a pilot shortage was coming. He insisted for a very long time, and it materialized. Many flight schools did the same, until the economy collapsed and they failed. Some taking the large sums of money that their students had invested, with them.

There is no "pilot shortage." There will be no "pilot shortage." There has never been a "pilot shortage."

If you want to learn to fly, by all means do so, but don't do it under the false impression that a shortage will open the doors for you. Making it in aviation is difficult. It's expensive, it doesn't pay well for the first few years (decade, or so) of your career, and it's a very unstable industry.

Aviation is one of the leading economic indicators in any economy. Aviation tends to operate on a razor-thin profit margin. Corporations cut their flight departments at the first sign of trouble. Airlines furlough and downsize, and merge, and go bankrupt with some regularity. Flight schools close. Businesses go bankrupt. Many companies operate for a short period of time and then get sold off or simply go away. Aviation is not a stable industry. There won't be any "pilot shortage" to artifically stabilize it by guaranteeing job security, either.

Approach your training with your eyes wide open, and don't give in to the false prophesies of those who only want to sell you something.

Token Bird
23rd Dec 2010, 18:09
Yes, I remember hearing talk of a pilot shortage when I was doing my PPL back in 1999! Do people still fall for that old chestnut?

whitecross
23rd Dec 2010, 18:41
Pilot Shortage Bull****, there are enough Pilots to drive all the taxi in the world

flyhighspeed300
23rd Dec 2010, 19:13
I have been hearing of pilot short falls for the last 5 years. I have yet to see this happen.

I have managed to get an odd flight, but I have not been able to get a part time or full time flying job in 3 years. bring on the next 2 years!!!!!

alphaadrian
27th Dec 2010, 17:18
Please guys.....enough of this "pilot shortage bull****"!! It aint ever gonna happen. Its a myth that I have been hearing since I started flying and im sure its been around a heluva long time before that!! At the moment there isnt even a shortage of people wanting to work in MC Donalds or Tescos!!
Whilst it is true that the hiring situation does fluctuate...let me state that there will NEVER be a shortage of pilots!! If you wanna believe that there will..if it helps you sleep easier or justify your latest ..er..investment then go ahead and believe it.
Im lucky enough to be in current flying employment..did you all hear that..i said LUCKY! When all my pilot friends phone me up begging me to come and work for them cos their companies are desparate and flights are being cancelled..then i will come on here and admit i was wrong!! Somehow i dont think thats gonna happen.

Good luck to all of you but please...no more Pilot bull**** shortage!! And please...dont quote me on airframes being built...burgeoning economies...projected passenger figures..i heard it all before. Its all meaningless in the real world. One terrorist attack/volcanoe/wee bit of snow lol!/even swine flu for christs sake! and the whole siuation changes!

However as in all things, people will believe what they WANT to believe.

Alpha:ok:

smith
27th Dec 2010, 19:19
But what about the retirement bulge?

citation3
29th Dec 2010, 08:37
cyrilroy21 (http://www.pprune.org/members/180855-cyrilroy21) do you have school ? or you`re going to buy one?thankyou

Ercos
29th Dec 2010, 08:46
I got my commercial certificate 15 years ago. I heard how in just a few years there'd be a pilot shortage yet it never came. The truth is there will never be a pilot shortage. At least in the US there are far more pilots than jobs, especially in the corporate/charter world where fancy jets and high pay attracts the masses.

corsair
29th Dec 2010, 08:54
Pilot shortage ha ha ha ha ha ha! That'll be the day. The only time there ever was a pilot shortage was in the Battle of Britain. I've been knocking around this business for over thirty years waiting for the famous pilot shortage to turn up.

darkroomsource
29th Dec 2010, 15:31
Actually, I think there is a pilot shortage, and there has in fact been a pilot shortage for several decades.

The problem, is that many of us have the wrong definition of what a pilot shortage means to us. And taking cues from recent government administrations (past and present), we should "re-state" what this phrase is so that we understand it better.

There is, for example, a shortage of pilots who are getting advanced instruction - IR, CPL, ATP, etc. at flight schools all over the globe.

Hand-in-hand with this, there is a shortage of potential pilots who are going down to the local FBO and signing up for lessons to get their PPL.

There is definitely a shortage of pilots who are signing up for pay-to-fly schemes, willing to come up with USD 30-40 K to get a rating in one airplane or another. In fact there's even a greater shortage of pilots who will do this twice.

There is a shortage of pilots who qualify for entry into the union.

There is a shortage of pilots who have medical coverage.

There is a shortage of pilots who work full time.

I'm sure other people can think of other pilot shortages....