PDA

View Full Version : LGW vs LHR

egnxema
21st Dec 2010, 08:23
While it certainly is not business as usual at LGW this morning - it does seem to be that LGW is dealing a lot better than LHR in this weather.

LGW was SNOCLO again overnight, but it's runway was cleared and opened again at 6am. Many flights today operating on time, so far.

While at LHR one runway remains closed days after the initial snowfall.

There are many variables, but... how much of the difference is down to:

a - initial snow depths
b - equipment availability
c - on the ground management
d - ownership

jumpseater
21st Dec 2010, 08:53
It's
b - equipment (and staff)availability
a - initial snow depths
c - on the ground management

b-If you haven't got the equipment, then 1cm can close you down for a long time. If your staff can't get to work because of the snow ...

a-Type of snow is a significant factor as is the state of the ground it falls on, and previous/prevailing/future weather

c-If you haven't got 'b' nailed down at the start of the exercise you're not going to be able to manage it very well, regardless of how dedicated/keen your snow team is.

Mr BAA spokesman said their teams had been going '24hrs without sleep':oh:. Let's hope that's not literally the case, otherwise cue an CAA/H&S investigation on his doorstep anytime now ...

egnxema
21st Dec 2010, 09:02
Just to clarify - I am looking at the specifics of the past few days

a - initial snow depths - did LHR get significantly more snow than LGW?
b - equipment availability - are LGW better equipped?
c - on the ground management - are LGW management more switched on
d - ownership - is LHR hindered by being owned by BAA?

pee
21st Dec 2010, 09:25
Think this: LON vs HEL
Helsinki expected to have snowiest December since records began. The depth of snow is already very very close to the record for the month of December set in 1915, reports duty meteorologist Antti Jylhä-Ollila from the Finnish Meteorological Institute.(Helsingin Sanomat)

Helsinki airport had 188cm (six feet) of snow last winter but the last time it was forced to close because of the weather was in 2003.

That closure lasted for half an hour.

This winter planes have been taking off and landing as normal despite an unusually heavy snowfall in December.

It looks as though there will be another snowy winter, like last year's, says Annika Kala, a spokesperson for the airport. But she says she's relaxed because the airport is "well prepared".

The preparation consists of good equipment, extra winter staff, and a choice of three runways.(BBC News)

So, the answer is just that. Good equipment, extra winter staff. Pretty simple.

Haven't a clue
21st Dec 2010, 12:33
a choice of three runways

Doubt that will be enough to get the government to change their mind about Heathrow's new runway though...

HZ123
21st Dec 2010, 13:06
LHR ,I am sure that having payed a lot of overtime out plus contracting in there is a limit to how many staff can be sassigned to snow clearance and just how long they can work for. By now I guess that good will of the staff is dimninishing quickly ?

Whalerider
21st Dec 2010, 18:54
As far as I am concerned there is another major factor involved. LHR is run by BAA = Bureau Against Aviation, an outfit which likes to have shopping malls with a runway attached. Its management have very little experience / knowlege of aviation !

I am talking as someone who used to work with them.

I know of an excellent Ops Manager with excellent experience. When he applied for Ops job at BAA was told "you will have to work in security and after 2 years apply for Ops".

I know of a woman who speaks five languages, and who applied for a vacancy at Airport Information Desk - she didn't even get a reply !

Look at the improvements made, and being made at LGW since BAA sold the airport off.

BAA = Bureau Against Aviation

egnxema
22nd Dec 2010, 14:43
I can agree 100% with Whalerider.

I too have previously worked for BAA - and I saw a number of new entrants in to supervisory & management Terminal Operations jobs all taken from Retail Backgrounds - B&Q, Sainsbury's, M&S.

LTNman
22nd Dec 2010, 15:28
While it certainly is not business as usual at LGW this morning - it does seem to be that LGW is dealing a lot better than LHR in this weather.

Seems that some people have short memories as Gatwick was closed for 2 full days at the beginning of the month.

vectisman
22nd Dec 2010, 16:24
I have been wondering if, in view of recent events at Heathrow, BA will consider having more services at Gatwick to counter any future difficulties.

For example on some long haul routes with more more than daily service it might be an idea to offer them from both airports. I am no expert but Gatwick like Heathrow does have good links to London. Also with Heathrow near capacity it may prove helpful. For example, I heard that BA would like an extra daily Hong Kong service. I feel that people on long haul flights are less worried about it being Gatwick or Heathrow as long as the airport is accessible(that includes feeder flights which BA and Flybe could easily provide). I hope I don't sound naive suggesting this!!

From what I read those flights that BA have at Gatwick both short haul and long haul perform well. They should also be more prepared to compete with Easy. Many people I know say that are happy to pay alittle more for the BA product especially for special holiday trips as an example.

I don't really want to get involved in a which is better debate. Despite recent problems as a fairly regular Heathrow/Gatwick user I am fairly proud of both airports and what they try to do. I just wonder if BA is missing a trick by not spreading services between the two a little more.

Comments welcome but please be gentle lol.

Charley B
22nd Dec 2010, 17:43
We had 14 ins of snow here then-not been like that for 35 years here apparently-LGW learned a lot from that and got extra equipment and certainly showed LHR how things should be done this time.
LHR had hardly any snow at the beginning of Dec!

Doug E Style
22nd Dec 2010, 19:19
LGW vs LHR...

There's only one way to find out. FIGHT!!!

British Grenadier
22nd Dec 2010, 21:06
Quote:
Seems that some people have short memories as Gatwick was closed for 2 full days at the beginning of the month.

But at least it had a good amount of snow , unlike LHR , BEST thing that could happen at LHR , is that it is sold , and get some proffesional's in to run it ,and get rid of the unhelpful Ground Ops staff ,:ugh: including the overpaid , attitude afflicted Security Staff ............innit ...:D

take-off
24th Dec 2010, 14:14
Maybe heathrow should go to being under the control of councils of london, much in the same way MAN is controlled , while not perfect at least it would be run for the reason its there for ,as an airport for people and airlines to use , not for the shareholders of BAA and its parent company. While i have nothing against people/companies wanting to invest in the UK, some things really should be under the control of the UK, much in the same way the utilites should never have been sold off, but thats a whole different kettle of fish. Personally as Heathrow is such an important gateway to the world from the UK, maybe it should be brought back into public ownership rather that run by a private company, If the country can keep forking money out bailing banks out and instead fring fencing foreign aid. they should by heathrow and put peole in place who know what they are doing... ther rant over!!! Happy Christmas everyone!:ok: