PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter CHPL

Ekam Kohli
20th Dec 2010, 07:07
Hey guys,i want to know a couple of things-
Firstly,I want to know how and what's the procedure to file a computer number.

Secondly,i am doing my CPL from Florida,Dean International.Just about to complete my CPL in another month or so..I want to do CHPL after completing my CPL.
All i know is that there is a requirement of 50 hrs. of helicopter after CPL to get CHPL.Now my question is that is there good scope in india for helicopters to get in or not....???
Please if anyone have some information regarding that...everything as to how to go about...Please do let me know....i might be wrong but i have heard about it that there'z gud scope in helicopters but i have no information regarding that...so if anyone cud help me with that and suggest a CHPL school too i would be highly obliged...!
Thanks in advance...!

PA-34
20th Dec 2010, 08:14
Hi Ekam,
for computer number you will need to fill computer number application
and submit it at dgca office address of which is given in the form itself.
Remmember to attach all the required documents with the forms otherwise it will get rejected and you will have to redo it.

http://dgca.nic.in/forms/Pilot/compno_pilot.pdf

Regarding getting CHPL in many foreign countries after doing CPL you just need 50 hours of chopper flying with a flight test. But in India if you want to get CHPL conversion done from foreign license you will need minimum 150 hours of chopper flying which is a requirement by DGCA to issue the license. It doesnt matter whether you have CPL or not but you will still have to do 150 hours of chopper flying to get Indian CHPL. There is another way if a pilot has 500PIC hours on aircraft then he/she can get Indian CHPL by doing 30-45 hours of flying

http://www.dgca.nic.in/cars/D7B-B9.pdf

you can see page number 16-17 on above link regarding chopper hours required to get Indian CHPL

I hope it helps

MartinCh
23rd Dec 2010, 01:27
Well, happened to pop in here.

Speaking as someone who's almost done with PPL(H), got fixed wing PPL and does gliding, there's virtually no way you'd master helicopter to commercial standards in 50TT. I don't know why CFR/FAR is so lenient on paper if it doesn't happen normally. You'd have to be quite a sky-god to achieve it in something NEAR that amount.

I've read the requirements. It consists of heli XC time, heli PIC time.
FYI, most 0 hour pilots (no fixed wing flying, but that only helps with radio, air law etc, not with actual heli controls) do their PPLH in the US in about 60-65 hours, considering they fly R22, which is used by most places. It's harder to master, especially in autorotations (freewheel 'engine off' descent), which is main part of CPL other than nav flights and handling the basics to be safe to fly solo.

So, while job opportunities in India are great for their nationals these days, your idea of getting your 'fling wings' easily, at lower cost, is a bit off.

I'd say you'd be able to finish CPLH in about 100 hours rotary, if you're good. Some countries like Canada or Australia have their CPLH at min 100 or 105 hours total heli time, technically less with fixed wing licenses, but then, I've got no idea about the difficulty of their practical test standards. Remember, one has to fly dual to learn maneuvres. You're not going to (or be allowed) to do autos, settling with power, quickstops and other practice on your own, very likely.

Good luck with your plans. I know how it feels. I'm going to do my comms the coming summer in the US, or most of them both, finally, after couple years of delays with funding and saving a lot.

Garfs
23rd Dec 2010, 02:40
Just in relation to that last post, yes in Australia a CPL(H) is a min of 105 hours, or 125 hours if the last 30 hours is not completed within 3 months.

For the CPL(H) in Aus you will ned to pass 7 theory subjects, which are not that hard. Will set you back around AUD$60k (ab Initio)