2 of us are trainees,
Now the big issue what i want to really know,

that is it ok for the dispatcher to do all the following:
- Clearances
- Handling requests
- hotels
- fuel.
- flight planning

and all the operational issues together ??

it is really frustrating, cuz after 8 hours we start to be :ugh:
i love dispatch, been in the field since 2004

but here in the company i work in 1 year, alot of experience, but a Huge load of work.

Nice to be here.

waiting your answers about the duty issue.

Regards
BB

AIRCON99
20th Dec 2010, 08:50
Hi,

If you need some help it might be worth looking at flight support agents to assist with services. They can provide an excellent support function and save on cost in some circumstances.

PM if you want some further details.

Grasscarp
20th Dec 2010, 11:10
There are no rules as to what title you have and what jobs you are expected to do as this will depend on the size of the operation. If you are overloaded then it is up to you to tell your manager that help is needed for example you usually get the rostering department making the hotel bookings. Your job would involve finding the fuel figure required for the flight with the production of a flight plan, but not usually arranging the refuelling itself.
A Dispatcher would usually be providing the flight plan, weather and NOTAMs to the crew and monitoring the flights if you have the means. If there is no separate navigation department in your company it may also mean preparing routes and applying for overflight clearances if necessary.
p.s. The plural of aircraft is also aircraft.

Private-Dispatcher
20th Dec 2010, 14:30
well it is not about that,

not about load or time or anything, thankfully we are operating 7 to 10 flights per day, and as i said we have 15 aircrafts with 5 dispatchers, so 1 per shift.

anyway, i really wanted to know what is the issue with other companies,

Best Regards
Nice to meet you guys.

desertopsguy
21st Dec 2010, 11:47
Season's greetings..

With the size and type of operation that you work in then you could say that it is relatively common for flight dispatchers to end up doing everything, especially in the middle east where the regulations may be a little loose when compared with scheduled airline ops. Smaller companies tend not to have the resources to hire someone for every little post. Very often the ones who are in the position to make your job and life easier understand very little about operations and so don't know or don't care, or possibly both, about your daily grievances on shift.

I can appreciate that it must be frustrating at times but have you considered trying to change how you do things?
Maybe change your SOP's, try planning as much in advance if you can. A good shift briefing and handover from your colleagues is essential to get a good head start on the day.
If you're spending a lot of time getting permits and arranging fuel then perhaps arrange block permits, I know that is not always practical though.

Sit back and try to identify inefficencies and then solve them one by one. Maybe consider changing your roster pattern so that there is an overlap during the peak times so you have 2 on shift instead of 1.

Are all the ops staff good at their jobs? do they carry their weight or do some of the others carry it for them?

If you have 2 trainees out of 5 people then that is a little bit difficult, especially if this is their first time in operations.

Whomever your direct manager is should be told and explain to them that extra backup is required in order to get everything done.

Good luck
D.O.G