PDA

View Full Version : Canadian to JAR ATPL Conversion

zacatepequez
10th Apr 2001, 05:55
When converting to a JAR ATPL, Does anyone know apart from the groundschool and dozen exams, how much Flight training is required prior to a flight test?

Ivan Ivanovich
10th Apr 2001, 11:34
Without wishing to sound obvious or unhelpful, it really is sufficient training to pass the tests. If you're up to speed with light singles and twins then you can cut your air time down by studying the relevant country's procedures. In the end that's what it boils down to for experienced pilots. I assume you will have to do a commercial flight test - in a complex single - and an IRT. If you haven't flown either for some time then get some practice before you start paying fortunes for the commercial training.

The CPL flight test will include a VFR nav section, this may be the only difficulty if you're out of practice. The rest should pose few difficulties provided you take on board the local procedures, particularly test procedures.

I'm sure you know all this and all you really want to know is how long? Well I wouldn't listen to anyones suggestion until they have flown with you. But as a guide, it has been done in as little as under 5 hours and as much as 30 or more!

Not much help maybe.

Good Luck

Ivan

rolling circle
11th Apr 2001, 00:23
Ivan is mostly correct, it is training at the discretion of the Head of Training of the school concerned for the CPL Skill Test and MEP Class Rating but there is no reduction on the training for the IR Skill Test other than 5 hours for the holder of an ICAO CPL, leaving a 50 hour IR course.

TooHotToFly
11th Apr 2001, 01:45
The information posted is actually relevant to converting a foreign CPL/IR (although this may be what you had in mind anway). The only flight test to convert an ATPL is the ATPL skill test which must be completed on a multi-crew aircraft of which you need to have at least 500 hours on or complete the appropriate type rating (I think).

zacatepequez
12th Apr 2001, 00:37
Thanks for the responses guys. I have 3800 hours in DHC-6/BE-99/DC-3. I have a Canadian ATPL and a UK Passport, so I'm wondering if it's worth the time, effort and money to convert to JAR ATPL?

What I really want to know is if there would be a jet job in Europe in the end?