PDA

View Full Version : Adult Polycystic Kidney Disease

Dessert Aviator
16th Dec 2010, 08:22
Can anyone tell me if PKD is an automatic exclusion from holding a class 1 medical. Thanks

AvMed.IN
17th Dec 2010, 13:51
Manual of Civil Av Med 2008, ICAO states
"6.3.2.18 Applicants with renal or genito-urinary disease shall be assessed as unfit, unless adequately investigated and their condition found unlikely to interfere with the safe exercise of their licence and rating privileges."

JAA Manual of Civil Av Med states
"8.1 Polycystic kidneys
Polycystic kidneys are frequently asymptomatic and the individual may be unaware of his condition in the absence of a recognised family history. If the individual is aware of his condition, even if asymptomatic, then the potential for acute colic, infection, development of hypertension and renal failure, and the association with berry aneurysm and subarachnoid haemorrhage precludes [a fit assessment for] initial Class 1 [applicants]. If symptomatic, [a fit assessment for Class 1 revalidation / renewal] may be considered by the AMS with careful follow-up and assessment. Minor degrees of asymptomatic polycystic kidney may be considered by the AMS, for initial and renewal Class [fit assessment] following investigation and follow-up."

Hope it helps.

Dessert Aviator
17th Dec 2010, 14:03
Thanks for that, I'm pretty close to the end of my career and will just have to take my chances with the AMS.

AvMed.IN
17th Dec 2010, 14:08
Oh, in that case, if all your parameters are fine, physicals and the tests - your AME and the regulator should be happier keeping you flying - after all, you have maintained a good health and your license, without your and their knowing about this abnormality.
Happy Landings!

Dessert Aviator
17th Dec 2010, 14:31
That makes me feel better. six months is all I need.

AvMed.IN
18th Dec 2010, 13:29
Great! Please keep the forum informed of the decision arrived by the AME.
Thanks.

Dessert Aviator
18th Dec 2010, 17:53
I have been through a number of websites including CKS from the NHS which contains a vast amount of information, I hope I have the milder form as the median age of mortality of type 1 is 53yrs which would make me long gone.
Thanks for the info 40&80 I expect our paths crossed when you were in this neck of the woods. I have had my own blood pressure measuring machine for some time as I've always kept pretty fit.