PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic DC-6 video and story.

magpienja
15th Dec 2010, 21:28
[http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10301:dtm-to-offer-rare-dc-6b-a-home&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107]

[]YouTube - DC-6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=7&list=UL-OPQmtt5VLo&feature=BF&v=8Hmx1yqB3XQ&gl=GB)

Well worth watching.

Nick.

con-pilot
16th Dec 2010, 17:40
Nice video, thanks.

The after landing bit has me a bit puzzled however. The crew shuts down 1 and 4 before the aircraft stops. Then as they are sitting on the runway, it appears that number 2 is still in reverse and number three is normal. It also looks like number 4 is feathered. Then they start 1 and 4 again to taxi off the runway. While my experience in the DC-6 limited, I do know that there is no problem taxing on just two engines. But that could be because they are are on a dirt runway, I never operated one on a non-hard surface runway.

However, when taking the story into account, is was very obvious that this DC-6 had sat around for quite some time not flying. So it is very possible that the crew may not have had complete control over the engines after they landed.

While I've never had problems with any prop aircraft coming out of reverse, I have with a few jets that had been sitting around not being flown for long periods.

Anyway, a damn fine landing on a short dirt runway.

magpienja
16th Dec 2010, 18:06
Sad that it will never fly again.

Nick.

Engineer_aus
17th Dec 2010, 01:26
Looks like they wanted to blow up a fair bit of dust. Why will it never fly again? I have missed something I know, yet I can't find it.

henry crun
17th Dec 2010, 03:13
Engineer_aus: The reason is in the first link in post #1.

Geezers of Nazareth
17th Dec 2010, 09:48
very, very impressive! Well worth having the sound turned-up for that one!

As the aircraft landed and taxied-forward, note the bloke (bottom left) sitting in the bucket of a JCB ... was he 'ATC for the day'?

Mark Meeker
19th Dec 2010, 07:54
The photo shows a four bladed prop and a more square tail. The DC-6B has a three bladed prop.. This is I believe a DC-7..

JEM60
19th Dec 2010, 08:48
Only appears to have 3 bladed props to me. I thought the top of the fin was indentical on both models. Also I think I video'd it at Swartkopf five years ago and I feel sure I would have noticed it if it was a rare DC7. Haven't time to search through video this side of Xmas. Sorry, I think you are wrong.

Engineer_aus
19th Dec 2010, 09:19
Thanks Henry

con-pilot
19th Dec 2010, 20:43
The photo shows a four bladed prop and a more square tail. The DC-6B has a three bladed prop.. This is I believe a DC-7..

No sorry, it is a DC-6. It does have three bladed props and the tail is more rounded than the DC-7.

Mark Meeker
24th Dec 2010, 00:30
I jumped the gun on that one, I saw the film clip after writing my post, Yeah its a DC-6.. It looked like a four bladed prop in the photos. I have since cleaned my monitor screen..