PDA

View Full Version : Airfield Operations - help!

chorton84
14th Dec 2010, 19:54
It is my burning desire to work in Airfield Operations, however my career has taken me elsewhere (as a Geography Teacher and a Sales Rep) since I worked on the Ramp at Manchester Airport (Summer of my life!) back in 2006. I am nearing 27 now and to try to stand me in better stead to get the job in aviation I so desire, I did a Masters in Management last year, which I have now completed. Recently I put in an application to be a Airside Operations Controller at Southampton Airport (BAA), it was £18,000 salary and would mean a move for me from Manchester. I was gutted today to receive an email informing me that I had failed at the first hurdle, when I believed I had fulfilled the criteria (obviously not!). I understand it is a competitive world out there however I would love any advice that would put me in a better position for jobs within the airport, especially Airside Ops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Shrimps
15th Dec 2010, 17:25
I can't help specifically, but know from my own bitter experience that just because you meet the job description perfectly doesn't mean anything - I think employers are often a bit concerned where you have other useful qualifications; despite applying with the best of intentions - but of course with so few providing feedback you can never know for sure.

Another common issue is that some companies have a policy of advertising all vacancies, even though they may have a suitable internal candidate lined up!

LIMA18
26th Dec 2010, 11:59
Chorton,

Yes it is a tough and very competetive world out there.

One way of getting around this problem is being employed by an Airport Company itself - security, ramp, info desk etc.... Once you have achieved that - even though it may not what you want to do - you have got a some sort of foothold at the airport.

Once you have achieved this, you are now considered internal, then nose around for any openings & show some interest in Airfield Ops - ask them to take you for runway inspections in your spare time etc.. - GET NOTICED.

Also potential employers like to see their candidates with aviation related experience - from my experience.

You have got BHX, LPL & EMA within closer proximity than the trek to SOU.

I trust my advice is useful.

Good luck in your job hunting and hope you achieve you goal.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Dec 2010, 15:53
NATS Air Traffic Control Support Staff earn very considerably more than £18k.. Tried that??