View Full Version : Transferring photo's from a phone to my laptop.

gingernut
14th Dec 2010, 18:27
I've got a Nokia 2630 phone.

I took some photo's of the results of a road traffic incident, and need to send them via e-mail or at least print them.

Is there a simple way to tranfer the photo's from phone to laptop?

The phone has internet on it, but I don't use it, and I don't have a cable.

Is there anywhere I can SMS the signal to and pick it up on my laptop?

11Fan
14th Dec 2010, 18:33
Don't know how much help this will be but it's how I do it. Fire up the internet and if you have yahoo, add them as an attachment. My Blackberry has company e-mail on it so I can use it, or yahoo. Just one picture at a time though.

I talked to my IT guys and they said it's the easiest way to do it, even though my Blackberry is "synced" to my laptop and I have a cable.

Go figure.

gingernut
14th Dec 2010, 18:38
thanks for that, my phone has internet but doesn't seem to work that well.

call100
14th Dec 2010, 19:23
If your phone has Bluetooth then send them via that to your laptop. If your laptop has no bluetooth either send it to someone else who has or purchase a bluetooth dongle...
Or you could MMS them to someone who has a better phone with laptop or email access....

gingernut
14th Dec 2010, 19:36
thanks call100, blue toothed it to the Mrs who is gonna e-mail me :)

Sorted:ok:

11Fan
15th Dec 2010, 00:23
Outstanding. I gotta try that.

MG23
15th Dec 2010, 03:40
Our phones came with adapters so you can take the memory card out of the phone, put it into the adapter and then plug it into the laptop which treats it like an external drive. That's the fastest way of getting a lot of pictures off the phone.

Load Toad
15th Dec 2010, 06:44
If you have Nokia then I use Nokia PC Suite software - which came with the 'phone but I expect you can download it at the Nokia web site. You can then USB or Bluetooth link from your phone to the PC, transfer the pictures and then email the pictures from your PC that way.

mixture
15th Dec 2010, 07:25
11Fan,

Don't know how much help this will be but it's how I do it. Fire up the internet and if you have yahoo, add them as an attachment. My Blackberry has company e-mail on it so I can use it, or yahoo. Just one picture at a time though.

Sorry can't help it .... your "IT guys" seriously told you that was "the easiest way" ? Funniest thing I've heard all day. :D

Our phones came with adapters so you can take the memory card out of the phone,

Just to add to MG23's post :

(a) This is the best and most efficient way (11Fan take note :cool:)
(b) The adapters are not phone specific. Just buy one compatible with the card format your phone uses (CF, SD etc.), you can also buy ones that accept multiple formats so that you can use the same thing for your digital camera cards.

call100
15th Dec 2010, 09:29
I didn't think the Nokia 2630 had an SD card....So it may have been a bit difficult.;)

TRC
15th Dec 2010, 10:50
I have a non-whizzy and not too new Nokia. It has a mini USB socket and when connected to a laptop it is seen as an external drive and can be accessed in the same way.

Works with XP and W7.

mixture
15th Dec 2010, 13:00
I didn't think the Nokia 2630 had an SD card....So it may have been a bit difficult.

In those circumstances USB cable or manufacturer cable (as appropriate for the type of phone) is probably next best. Cables tend to be quicker than bluetooth.

jimtherev
15th Dec 2010, 13:40
Cables tend to be quicker than bluetooth.
... and more reliable in my experience. I have 2 or 3 bluetooth - usb adaptors that have gone clunky on me, sometimes agreeing to connect, sometimes not. It's probably me doing something stupid (at random times) but this has happened on two machines so far. Cable connection otoh has never failed. And cables are cheaper than bluetooth dongles anyway, even if they weren't supplied with the phone.

Mike-Bracknell
15th Dec 2010, 17:58
If you have Nokia then I use Nokia PC Suite software - which came with the 'phone but I expect you can download it at the Nokia web site. You can then USB or Bluetooth link from your phone to the PC, transfer the pictures and then email the pictures from your PC that way.

Nokia PC Suite software ranks along with Quicktime and Realplayer as some of the :mad:est pieces of :mad: software to ever have been written (and I use "written" in it's loosest form here).

jimtherev
15th Dec 2010, 21:16
If you reckon PC Suite is clunky, Mike (you did mean clunky, didn't you?) then you gotta try Nokia's OVI. Hits new lows.
(Actually, PCSuite works for me - at least the synchro part of it, which is all I need.)

Load Toad
15th Dec 2010, 21:32
Likewise - I use it for backing up the phone and transferring pictures and nothing else so I don't really have a problem with it.
I did look at Ovi but - horrible so never used it again.

call100
16th Dec 2010, 09:05
In those circumstances USB cable or manufacturer cable (as appropriate for the type of phone) is probably next best. Cables tend to be quicker than bluetooth.

But he didn't have a cable either. :hmm: the bluetooth worked in the circumstances given;)

ekoja
21st Dec 2010, 18:59
With my Nokia (a 6110) I can add any e-mail address to a name in the contacts list. Put your own name into your contact list and you should have the option of adding an e-mail address. Then when you have a photo to send to the email address you have chosen, send it through messages, mms, try adding your chosen e-mail address to your own name in your contacts list. then it is there to us at any time.
Go to the image you want to send,-- options,--- select mms,--- options, it then will worry you about picture size, but select yes, options,--- add recipient, scroll to where ever you have your name,-- select, then select the e-mail address,-- then select send,

All a bit wordy here, and this is assuming that your carrier will allow this. but once setup its quick and its there all the time.

Hope this helps for the future.

hellsbrink
25th Dec 2010, 07:17
Nokia PC Suite software ranks along with Quicktime and Realplayer as some of the http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gifest pieces of http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif software to ever have been written (and I use "written" in it's loosest form here).

Don't knock RealPlayer so hard, it has it's uses! Earlier this week I had to fix someone's PC. His IE had died and would not reinstall (virus issue) meaning I could not download Firefox for him via IE. RP has it's own browser, I was able to do the necessary like get FF and new antivirus (his was an old Norton which hadn't been updated for gawdknowshowlong) so I had everything running and cleaned up relatively quickly. Yes, as a player, RP is cack but there are times when you could be screwed without it!

BTW. Bluetooth is the simplest way to transfer files to/from phone and PC. Spend a few bucks on a dongle if your PC doesn't have bluetooth built in.