PDA

View Full Version : Airport Baggage Handling

KaaN10
14th Dec 2010, 07:48
Not sure if this is the right section but ...

Have applied for a job at Aero-Care in Australia for this role and have been invited to a group interview tomorrow at a hotel and just had a few questions.
1.) I doubt I'll get the job as I'm 17 years old and don't really have experience in interviews and stuff so anyone have some advice?
2.) Just how physically demanding is this job?
Any other helpful information is welcome

Airfrance7
14th Dec 2010, 09:16
Read the " What makes an ideal Rampie" thread in the Flight/Ground Ops, Crewing and Dispatch forum. All you need to know is in there. Good luck.

KaaN10
14th Dec 2010, 10:00
Read it and honestly it didn't help much at all

Jack_P
14th Dec 2010, 11:34
well, if you are looking to become a ramp agent/hand you need to have a clean driving license...
It's always good prior to attending the seminar to research the company you are looking to work for, including what airlines they service and the destinations they fly to.

In a nut shell, if you have bulk loaded aircraft (737's, EMB190's, 757's, DHC8, some airbus 321's/320's but mainly 319's etc) , expect a lot of manual handling, both inside and out the aircraft.
If you have ULD aircraft *unit load device's or baggage containers* (Airbus 320's, 321's, some 319's, A330, A340, 747, 777, 767 etc) expect less manual handing within the aircraft and roughly the same for the offload once the containers have been removed from the aircraft.

All in all bulk loaded aircraft are can lead to more injuries, as the compartment isnt the largest in the world if you’re tall.

If you succeed in tomorrows meeting, then I wish you the best....

When I first joined the ramp, I had no idea what to expect so don’t feel as if you’re the first! It can be daunting at first, but just take notice of the manual handling course as this can help you later on in life

750XL
14th Dec 2010, 15:23
You need to be very physically fit for the job and also be able to adapt to all sorts of weather throughout the year.

Jack_P
14th Dec 2010, 18:45
I forgot to say that just because the job position states it is a ramp position, some companies move employees already working within, from the baggage sort area onto the ramp.

This means that the job may be, and only be involved with stacking bags and taking them out to the flight from the baggage sort areas.

Its not a bad job, but some enjoy it and others hate it....

KaaN10
15th Dec 2010, 08:39
Went to the hotel about 30 minutes before the group interview waited 30 minutes for the duty manager for Aero-Care. He had a presentation on the projector and talked about company stuff for about an hour which wasn't boring at all, learned a lot of stuff.
After the 1 hour lecture the 20 or so people had a 1 on 1 interview with the 2 duty managers each one took about 5-10 mins and I was 3rd last so I had to wait a good 30-45 minutes, was draining but no other way around it. Interview went very fast was asked about my age, position I was applying for, why I should be chosen and stuff like that.
Asked him if a 17 year old with no real experience or qualifications could get in and he said sure I like young people(no pedo) since they're energetic and all that, he said the only minor problem could be me being on my L's but I'll be on P's in a few months.
If I do get the job I need to do an alcohol test, a dangerous goods cert and the ASIC license which will total $400 but worth it since I'll have the job.
Will be getting a reply before Friday 6pm so awaiting on that. Even if I don't get it the experience I gained today was valuable and also boosted my confidence.
Well that's it from my long ****ty report.

UKSquiff
15th Dec 2010, 15:23
Good luck with that!..and like you say, life is all about experiences:ok:

Geezers of Nazareth
15th Dec 2010, 19:11
Went to the hotel about 30 minutes before the group interview waited 30 minutes for the duty manager for Aero-Care. He had a presentation on the projector and talked about company stuff for about an hour which wasn't boring at all, learned a lot of stuff.
After the 1 hour lecture the 20 or so people had a 1 on 1 interview with the 2 duty managers each one took about 5-10 mins and I was 3rd last so I had to wait a good 30-45 minutes, was draining but no other way around it. Interview went very fast was asked about my age, position I was applying for, why I should be chosen and stuff like that.

Always worth listening to the presentation ... at my interview many years ago there were about 12 of us. Had the presentation (maybe 15 minutes long), and the bloke announced that there was a little '20 questions' test and all the answers were in the presentation, or the handout given to us.

Some idiot at the other end of the table said in a loud voice "Oh no, I wasn't paying attention!".

Strangely enough, he never did join the company!

petar blank
24th Dec 2010, 13:59
Good luck with the interview, but I think you will need much more luck with local weather if you get this job =)
In the end, you will have opportunity to get "first hand" acknowledgment about all types of airplanes and theirs operational issues and advantages. Do not miss it.