PDA

View Full Version : FREE HELICOPTER INSTRUCTOR RATING

Flying Lawyer
3rd Dec 2010, 22:52

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Aviation/GAPANbanner_600.jpg

http://www.fairplane.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/colour-crest-compressed-150x147.jpg

2011 Scholarships

FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR (R) RATINGS
Several Fixed Wing & one Rotary.
The Scholarship award covers all direct training and examination costs.
Refer to the application forms for eligibility criteria and terms and conditions of the scholarship.
Closing date for applications: 23 March 2011
Interviews will be held in London on Tuesday 3 May 2011.
Application forms:
Flying Instructor Rating (Fixed Wing) 2011 (http://www.gapan.org/file/224/flying-instructor-fixed-wing-2011.pdf)
Flying Instructor Rating (Rotary) 2011 (http://www.gapan.org/file/223/flying-instructor-helicopter-2011.pdf)

PPL (FIXED WING) SCHOLARSHIPS
Several full scholarships are available. They cover all aspects of training up to licence issue for candidates prepared to dedicate a considerable part of the summer to gaining their PPL. Providing up to 45 hours of flying, these scholarships can take a candidate with little or no experience, to completion of their flying licence during the course of the summer, alternatively they can finish training of someone who is already partially trained.
The scholarships are awarded entirely on merit as evidenced on the completed application form and as assessed by a selection committee appointed by the Guild.
Candidates must be 17 or over on 1st June 2011.
Interviews will be held in London on 5 and 6 May 2011.
Application form: PPL Scholarship (Fixed Wing) 2011 (http://www.gapan.org/file/222/ppl-scholarship-application-2011.pdf)
Overseas Applicants
Applicants from overseas are welcome to apply and should email the Guild office gapan @ gapan.org to make arrangements to submit an application.
Note: Interviews and training will take place only within the UK.

GLIDING COURSE SCHOLARSHIPS
New for 2011 -
2 scholarships for a residential week at Lasham in early August 2011.
Successful candidates must be over 16 on 1 June 2011.
Closing dates for applications is 23 March 2011
Interviews will be held in London on Tuesday 3 May 2011.
Sponsored by the Guild Young Members Group (http://www.gapanym.org/)
Application form: Gliding Scholarship 2011 (http://www.gapan.org/file/250/gliding-scholarship-2011.pdf)

Bursaries for FLYING INSTRUCTORS
Instrument Rating Instructor (up to £2,500), Aerobatics Instructor (up to £1,750), Multi-Engine Instructor (up to £3,500).
More info here: GAPAN Bursaries (http://www.gapan.org/career-matters/bursaries/)

Jet Orientation Course Scholarships 2011
2 courses available at EPST.
The course is specifically designed to prepare newly qualified professional pilots for employment with an airline. It is not type specific. Application forms will be available shortly.

2010 Scholarship Winners
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/scholarship-winners-2010.jpg

GAPAN - The Guild of Air Pilots & Air Navigators (http://www.gapan.org/)

GashJ
14th Dec 2010, 18:20
Hi Flying Lawyer,

Do you know if GAPAN or other organisations etc offer any form of financial assistance for ME IR(H) training?

I apprecite that the anwser is probably no, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Thanks in advance.

heliboy999
16th Dec 2010, 23:19
I think that is a definate "Negative" there.
If they did then you would be a long way down the line of applicants!

Good luck!

jackjack08
19th Dec 2010, 18:18
Please can anybody inform me if GAPAN stipulate a certain aircraft type/s that the FI(H) training is to be carried out on ??? :ok:

heliboy999
20th Dec 2010, 01:06
Nope you dont have to do it in a particular type but the chances are that you will be doing it in a 300 or a R22.
You wont be doing it in a Jet ranger, the money is limited and needs to go as far as possible.

HB999

heliboy999
20th Dec 2010, 01:16
A bit of info and advice for anyone thinking of applying.

This is a genuine "Free" offer. I can say this because i won it in 2007.
I would like to give a little bit of advice and insight into the process.

First of all have a look at the some of the other threads that have been posted on here over the last couple of years. There is a wealth of information from past winners and applicants.

Next download the application form and have a look at what is required.

http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholar...H_R%202007.pdf (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/FI_R__H_R%202007.pdf)

Basically you will need to have done 250 hours helicopter time but if you are a little short of that time say so! I was about 13 hours short at the time of sending in the application but knew that i would be up to or just past the required hours by the time of the interview (You need to be at the required hours at the start of your course)

PRE--ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
(a) Completed at least 250 hours of flight time of which not less than 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command
(PIC) if holding an ATPL(H) or CPL(H), or 150 hours PIC, if holding a PPL(H).
(b) Have met the knowledge requirements for a CPL(H) as set out in AMC FCL 1.470(b)
(c) Completed at least 30 hours on single-engine helicopters of which at least five hours shall
have been completed during the six months preceding the pre-entry flight test set out at (f) below;
(d) Received at least 10 hours instrument flight instruction of which not more than five hours may be
instrument ground time in a flight simulator or FNPT;
(e) Completed at least 20 hours of cross-country flight as PIC: and
(f) Passed a specific pre-entry flight test with an FI qualified in accordance with JAR-FCL 2.330(f) for this
purpose, based upon the proficiency check as set out in JAR-FCL 2.240(b) within the six months
preceding the start of the course. The flight test will assess the suitability of the applicant to undertake
the course.

Fill out the application neatly and carefully. I did mine 3 times before finally getting it neat, tidy and error free! (I get my worms mixed up!).

You will need to think carefully about where you want to train if you was to be sucessful with your application. You need to nominate 2 venues. I did mine at Helicopter Services at Wycombe Air Park and can thoroughly endorse the instructors and the course. The staff are very friendly and bend over backwards to help you with accomadation and wellbeing.

I got a couple of references, one of which was non aviation related but was teaching related and included them with my application. Dont hang around and get it sent off in plenty of time.

If you are called for interview..............................

What are the Guild looking for in you???

"They want to see someone who's capable of passing the course, but more importantly someone who is committed to a career in helicopters which includes instructing. Since the FI rating formed a major part of my career plan for flying, I was able to present myself as such. If you just want to take the money, build the hours then run off to the North Sea, you might not get too far." (Previous winner of the FI (R) Scholarship)

"I put it accross that i have a love of flying and teaching and always wanted to combine the 2 and have been building towards the FI rating. I have no intention of flying off-shore and would love to fly from my local airfield and teach as a career. I have connections with the Air Training corps and would love to give something back to the Corps that gave me so much when i was younger. (The Guild also gives Flying scholarships to Young Cadets)"

When you are called in for interview there will be 3 people interviewing you. It will last approx 45 mins.

You will need to perform a short 10 minute talk about a subject of your choice! It does not have to be aviation related! I spoke about the physiology of respiration in the human body and the means to oxygenate the brain by alternative methods. A subject that i have confidence in teaching being a Emergency Trauma Care instructor! What they want to see is that you can get your information accross and that you can be confident in your talking! You can use props if you want and take with you what you feel you will need! It is informal and relaxed so just be yourself.

They will ask you about what you have done in the past (From the info on your application) and what you hope to do in the future. they will ask you what you know about the guild and how you found out.

YOU MUST BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THE FI TRAINING BY THE END OF THE YEAR! If you cannot get the time to do the course which will be from 4 to 8 weeks then you should not apply.

When you have finished you will go home and continue with your life and await the phone call in the next few weeks. If you win then you will have saved a fortune, if not then you have met some great people who will be there next year when you apply again.

This from another previous winner.....

Training Course and Test

"I did my course at Helicopter Services, High Wycombe, partly for geographical reasons, mostly because Mike Green was running the course.
Others may fly elsewhere, but I think it says something that for the past three years, the winners of the award have all done their course there.
I also flew once with Leon Smith - I'd like to know how many other instructor students he tells about his first experience with a sheep in a field near Aylesbury!"

"I found that on top of the course pressures, I also self-induced pressure because of the sponsorship in that I didn't want to make an arse of myself by failing the test after having had so much confidence placed in my by complete strangers based on a 45 minute interview. So, 1st September saw me pass the flight test, and yet another bottle (or was it two) of bubbly.
Incidentally the way it works with paying is that the school invoices GAPAN directly – you never see a bill."

"If you do go over the 30 hours, then do play fair and pay up without GAPAN having to ask. After all, for you to pay 0.5 or 1.0 compared to 30.0 is quite a significant saving!"

I loved the FI course, I learned so much more about flying and improved my own skills. You get to fly with and meet some of the legends of the UK helicopter scene.

Later in the year you will be asked to attend the presentation ceremony of your FI scholarship at the Guild in London. Its very formal and very interesting. After the awards have been presented you will have a chance to mix with the highest people in the UK aviation industry. You will talk to the winners of other scholarships and bursaries and hear their stories and experiences of flying up to date. You will pick up on the energy that comes from a pure love of flying and everything aviation. There will be a lot of people who post on PPRuNe under various disguises who will offer you advice and help in the future. I am finally getting round to joining the guild, its worth it!

To close...

You have nothing to lose and loads to gain and its only going to take a few hours or writing, a few hours of research and a day out of your life to apply so do it!

Hope this helps anyone thinking or applying.

HB999 http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Flying Lawyer
18th Feb 2011, 22:10
HELICOPTER INSTRUCTOR RATING

2 very good reasons to apply for the scholarship this year:
2011 is likely to be the last year it is offered. As of today's date, the number of applicants is in single figures.

FL

Flying Lawyer
14th Mar 2011, 19:02
As of today's date, the number of applications is still in single figures.

Heliport
20th Mar 2011, 09:12
Only 3 days left to apply.

jackjack08
20th Mar 2011, 14:53
Interview date on the official advert is the 4th MAY and is the 3rd May on your correspondence listed above. Please advise :=

Flying Lawyer
20th Mar 2011, 16:37
Sorry. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Interviews -

Fixed-wing: 3rd May
Rotary: 4th May

Flying Lawyer
26th Mar 2011, 23:55
To those who applied:

Applications for 2011 are now closed.

There were 30 applications.

You will know if you have got through to the interview stage by mid-April.

In the meantime, remember to keep the 4th May free in your diary.

Good luck. :ok:

Tudor Owen

Epiphany
27th Mar 2011, 10:27
Single figure applications? You should become a politician FL.

Flying Lawyer
27th Mar 2011, 12:48
It was single figures when I wrote that post on the 14th March. By the closing date, 23rd March, there were 30 applications. If my information about the relatively low number of applications prompted anyone to apply who might not otherwise have done then I'm pleased.

Even 30 strikes me as quite a small number of applications for a free course.
Maybe not many people want to become FIs?

FL

Bravo73
27th Mar 2011, 12:54
Maybe not many people want to become FIs?

Plenty of people still want to be FIs, FL. But not many are in the position to have effectively already finished their hour building (up to the 250hr point) without already having started, or committed to start, the FIC.