PDA

View Full Version : Delta 747 onboard fire returns to JFK

nombody
12th Dec 2010, 16:55
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/12/12/Fire-forces-emergency-landing-in-New-York/UPI-19341292167551/

NEW YORK, Dec. 12 (UPI) -- A fire on Delta flight 268 departing from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City forced it to make an emergency landing, officials said.
The fire broke out in the galley of the Tel Aviv, Israel-bound jumbo jet shortly after takeoff Sunday evening, the New York Post reported.
The fire forced the pilot to dump fuel and circle the airport before landing around midnight.
The 747 was also found to have electrical issues and a problem with a fuel pump.
None of the plane's crew or approximately 400 passengers were injured.

JW411
12th Dec 2010, 17:38
Pleases don't tell me that it is yet another case of a F/A putting her handbag into one of the ovens (for safe keeping) and then forgetting?

This happens almost on a weekly basis somewhere in the world but they never ever learn.

The resulting fiasco costs a fortune.

atakacs
12th Dec 2010, 19:02
The fire broke out in the galley of the Tel Aviv, Israel-bound jumbo jet shortly after takeoff Sunday evening, the New York Post reported.
The fire forced the pilot to dump fuel and circle the airport before landing around midnight.

Well I think this has been already discussed ad nauseam but in this day and age I really don't see anyone circle and dump fuel with an open fire on board. I guess they where satisfied that the fire was already contained ? Anyone with more details ?

The 747 was also found to have electrical issues and a problem with a fuel pump.
Related to the fire ?

costamaia
12th Dec 2010, 21:33
Quote from the Av Herald (Incident: Delta B744 at New York on Dec 11th 2010, fire in galley (http://avherald.com/h?article=43486ee9&opt=0))

"During the descent towards JFK the crew reported, the fire had gone out, they had a number of fuel pumps malfunctioning and wanted to remain in the close vicinity of the airport in case they needed to immediately land, but they wanted to dump fuel for about 45 minutes. The airplane entered a holding near the airport, dumped fuel and landed safely on runway 31L about 90 minutes after departure."

rottenray
13th Dec 2010, 06:58

It will be interesting to see exactly what these issues and problems really are.

Cheers!