PDA

View Full Version : UH1 Huey, for a month

Sam Rutherford
12th Dec 2010, 15:17
Hi,
I was looking to rent a UH1 Huey (okay, I know, watched too many films) for one month, with 50 hours.

I have found one in Europe, they are asking Eur200K! Erm, that's dry! :uhoh:

Okay, comes with pilot and 'free' engineer (probably required :cool:).

So, before I consign my dreams to the bin - anyone any other ideas?

I like my crazy ideas, but they have to remain at least vaguely affordable. :hmm:

Safe flights, Sam.

Gordy
12th Dec 2010, 15:42
Sam:

Which country? I have a restricted category one here we use for fires..and it is winter. I would need to look into the legalities of using it for anything other than fire.

Through one of my relief pilots I have some access to a Huey that has been switched to the "experimental" category which might work. You would not be able to fly it without a "safety" pilot form our company but it might work.

As a rough guide---my Huey rents out for $2,600 per flight hour. As for the experimental---not sure, and not even sure if they would entertain such an idea, but I will ask. Mine is in California right now and the other is in Idaho.

Sam Rutherford
12th Dec 2010, 15:48
We're looking to take it to Libya, for a month. Hence my wanting one that is already in Africa or Europe.

Cheers, Sam.

Epiphany
12th Dec 2010, 16:34
I'm sure that you have looked into it Sam but plan WELL ahead for anything involving importation of any helicopter into Libya and hope that you don't need spares whilst you are there otherwise palms will need plenty of greasing!

There are UH-1's in Capetown I believe.

If the Libyans say 'No problem' then you can be sure it will be a problem. Good luck and plan for more than one month.

hueyracer
13th Dec 2010, 03:21
I know of some 204īs standing in Portugal...
They are for sale-donīt know if they also would give them away for rental....

Who is going to fly these "european/african registered" helicopters?

Sam Rutherford
13th Dec 2010, 07:24
We've been flying light aircraft into, out of, and all around Libya for about 8 years now. Check out some of the videos on YouTube. If you're interested in the last trip we ran there (including an R44) just search YouTube with 'Prepare2go'.

The idea is to lease the helicopter with pilot (ideally an instructor), then to fill other seat with anyone who fancies a go.

If an instructor, there are no licence issues for the PUT.

Would be interested in a little more info about the 204s if you have - they might just be interested in making a little extra money whilst waiting for them to sell...

Safe flights, Sam.

tony 1969
13th Dec 2010, 09:14
I know of 2 privately owned ones in Sweden if that's any use?

007helicopter
13th Dec 2010, 20:33
Sam - sorry I can not help, I think it will be a tough challenge to find one.

Gordy - for Fire or other duties can you ever take a P2 or Crew to assist, a bit like the deal you can get on a Jet Ranger doing the LA traffic watch?

Gordy
13th Dec 2010, 23:04
007helicopter

Gordy - for Fire or other duties can you ever take a P2 or Crew to assist, a bit like the deal you can get on a Jet Ranger doing the LA traffic watch?

Basically no. The USFS will allow us to put another company pilot in the other seat, but the primary pilot has to be a carded "training" pilot and the other pilot has to already be carded with the USFS and just switching aircraft.

The other stumbling block is when we put in two pilots it reduces the useful load.

Brian Abraham
14th Dec 2010, 01:02
Don't know if it's any help but a couple of our ex Vietnam crew chiefs have a Hotel model in San Fran that may be available, painted up in our US Army unit colours and complete with M-60's. The US deserts can't be too dissimilar to those of Lybia. :p Send a PM if it may of use and I'll pass a contact address.

md 600 driver
14th Dec 2010, 08:38
hi Brian
are you trying to start WW3 i can imagine what the lybians or any of the country that they will pass through will do when a us army badged uh1 comes flying through with a couple M60s on the side

N707ZS
14th Dec 2010, 09:00
Sam, I don't know anything about this Bulgarian company.

REMARKS:

Two Bell 204 UH-1E helicopters available for sale or lease. Contact me for more information.

PRICE: $ Call

CONTACT
INFORMATION:Please mention AircraftbargainsAero-X.euKiril Chochkov (http://www.aircraftbargains.com/searchad.asp?avisearch=ok&dealer2=3391)Sofia BGPhone1: +359888416901Phone2: Fax: Email: Send an email to dealer ! (http://www.aircraftbargains.com/contact.asp?id=3449&aircrafttype=Bell 204 UH-1E)

John R81
14th Dec 2010, 12:17
Mr Brian Abraham

That has to a "dream holiday" offering. Get a group of UK pilots together. Spend a week as PUT flying a 204 over the US desert? Tell me more!

SuperF
14th Dec 2010, 12:22
hi guys, watch out for the "E" model. they haven't made heads or blades for those things in about 30 years.

Not sure how you would get on with rules regarding UH1's and pax onboard??? You could try a 204/205, virtually identical, ie no one will tell the difference and legal to carry pax.

nearest i can think of is Knauss in Austria, has a 204.

hueyracer
14th Dec 2010, 13:52
Knauss is not going to give his away (in case he still has it, i heard of an accident, but not sure about it)...

I sent an email regarding some UH1īs from a Portugese company;Aircrafts are in pretty good conditions and "good to fly"..

Unfortunately nobody is giving away a ship for free-if they do (or if they are unbelivable cheap)-keep your fingers away from it...

Nubian
14th Dec 2010, 20:08
Not sure how you would get on with rules regarding UH1's and pax onboard???

Now Super, what's the rules regarding UH1's(in general) and pax then?

Gordy
14th Dec 2010, 20:17
Nubian

what's the rules regarding UH1's(in general) and pax then?

Certainly here in the U.S. the UH-1H being an ex-military aircraft is in the "restricted" category, which means NO PASSENGERS. Unless of course it is being operated under the "public use" rules with a government municipality...Cal Fire for example.

With in the U.S. we can only operate ours for certain uses and can only take either crew essential to the mission or under in-house training. When we operate in Mexico, the rules are different and we can carry a fire crew if needed.

Nubian
14th Dec 2010, 21:27
Gordy,

So if you buy a surplus Huey, and want to fly yourself around for the fun of it, then you're only allowed to do so solo? and not take your buddy for a ride? Or if 10 guys splits the cost of one and wants to convert Jet-A to noise/fun?

Red Bull in Austria has a AH1 on FAA reg (which I pretty sure is not a normal cat a/c) Allthough only a 2 seater, that's being flown with "pax" and I'm sure the pax is not a crew-member and surely it can't be for free either.

Is it a difference between the UH1 and lets say a OH58, OH6, or an AH1 (not excluding all european ex-mil Gazelle etc.) as there are quite a lot of these machines around on private hands, and I am sure they're not flown SOLO or only used in utility of some sort.

When we operate in Mexico, the rules are different and we can carry a fire crew if needed.

So FAA regs might just be absolete when flying a UH1 into Tripoli. As this question is about, no?!

Sam Rutherford
15th Dec 2010, 07:48
It's Kiril (Bulgaria) who was asking Eur200K for the 50 hours (dry)! Came with a free engineer though :uhoh::}

I think removing the M60s before the Tripoli FIR boundary is probably the best plan.

Thanks for all the posts and PMs, seem to have struck something of a chord with this plan - I just need to make it affordable. I'll ask the various providers about the PAX situation as well.

Safe flights, Sam.

SuperF
15th Dec 2010, 08:10
The rules and restricted cat machines..

I was thinking about how you get on with pax. Depends on the country you are in. About 80% of the countries out there it doesn't matter:). Also depends on the country it is certified in, they all have different rules and interpretations on things, which is why this site is such a laugh. Things we do in NZ and Oz as an everyday occurrence, some of the easa countries just crap themselves.

Down south, and I think the USA is similar, you can have a ex-mil helicopter and fly privately with your mates onboard, no probs, private flight, easy. The issue comes when you hire a machine and want to fly, with an instructor and your mates onboard. No rating, I assume, you can probably make it sound reasonable, however as you can't hire the ac out for pax work, it's hard to hire it out privately and then instruct you with all your mates onboard.

Sounds like a great thing to do, but just wouldn't want to explain it to some fed on a power trip..

Going rate down under is about $3,000/hr plus tax, so US$2600 would be about right. You might get a private machine a bit cheaper, but if they are a heap less be careful.

SuperF
15th Dec 2010, 08:21
Reason for the engineer would be that any Huey on a military maint program, will need to be signed out by an engineer pre flight, as well as a pilot pre flight.

Gordy
15th Dec 2010, 15:55
You can change a Huey to the "experimental" category.

hueyracer
16th Dec 2010, 16:12
The oneīs i recommended are civ-registered in europe and are legally allowed to transport up to 9 pax (plus 2 pilots).

The ship is coming fresh out of maintenance, and the pilot (i also recommended) is allowed to sign for pre-and aft. flight check, and also able to do (and sign for) the first 25h inspection...

And-it will be cheaper than 200k.... :-)

Sam Rutherford
17th Dec 2010, 10:00
I'm following up on lots of leads, thanks for all the help.

Safe flights, Sam.

Brilliant Stuff
17th Dec 2010, 21:11
Sam,
I was reading an article in a Magazine about a company called Agrarflug in Germany they operate 204s 205s etc they might also help.

No I don't work for them.