PDA

View Full Version : Wizzair tax, legit or scam?

zorglubz
12th Dec 2010, 14:58
Many pilots at Wizzair are feeling the pinch for months now as Wizzair set base in Switzerland, I mean as a company, not as operating aircraft from there, and is taking various amounts of money from pilots (whether single, married, etc, will determine how much), in the name of swiss income tax for all its contractors.

While not familiar with the swiss tax system, I presume than one can hope for a tax certificate from the swiss IRS (or whatever name they use) at contract termination or fiscal year end. But it seems not to be the case.

Any one here can shed some light on this?
How much a pilot is paying per month as swiss income tax?
Any pilot enquired with the swiss authorities?

Of course if you are already a swiss resident, it may apply in different terms, but for all other pilotos from around Europe and beyond, what's it gonna be?

Looking forward to your answers...:ok:

wizzkid
12th Dec 2010, 16:10
Legit or is it a scam is a good question. This is far from being a clear cut matter.

You pay tax to Switzerland but you are still required to pay social security payments to your native country, if you want to receive benefits. Switzerland is happy to take your tax payments but they will not give you anything in return. Why would they, you do not work in the country, you have no residence there and are entitled to zip.

To answer the question: Captain, Married, two kids 1-5%. Reality is about 800 to 1000 Eur a month less than before.

Has Wizzair managed cleverly to distribute it's own taxes for it's employees to shoulder?

zorglubz
12th Dec 2010, 16:51
If the pilots are in reality shouldering the company's own tax, two questions are on my mind:

1- How legal? With or without benefits in Switzerland, I cannot see how one would pay tax and not be able to prove that one has paid them afterwards, unless there is a legitimate original tax certificate from the swiss authorities, otherwise, your only argument will be: "I told you I paid tax!"

2- If the company makes more profit, does it mean that the pilots will pay more tax, regardless of the amount of gross salary?

Many more questions of course, e.g. on how or where to find in the Swiss tax system the calculation it is based on. Each country has a working scale to make adjustments on tax vs income, with all the variables.

At the end of the day, how can you prove the tax you paid?

FlyMD
12th Dec 2010, 17:07
1. You will get a piece of paper (normally around february) from the Swiss tax office attesting your revenue from the employer and the amount of tax paid.

2. If the country you live in has a taxation agreement with Switzerland (all European countries do..), you will still have to pay the difference between the tax you paid in Switzerland and what you would have paid for the full revenue in your country of residence. Should your country have lower taxation than Switzerland, you will NOT get the difference back.

3. If you were a tax nomad before this new regime and were not paying income taxes anywhere, you're screwed.

dazdaz1
12th Dec 2010, 17:08
Click this link, It might give some info as to Swiss tax calculations.
Swiss Federal Tax Administration FTA - Tax Calculator (http://www.estv.admin.ch/dienstleistungen/00041/index.html?lang=en)

D1

Take it Easy
12th Dec 2010, 17:22
Hi,

Swiss taxation system is quite easy.
You pay taxes in the Canton where your Company is resident.
Because all of you are foreigns, you cannot deduct nothing from the monthly at source taxes.
Than you have to compensate with your country of residence.
You will not have no benefits, no retirement unless your company is paying the first and a part of (or all) the second pillar.

Ade'

Mr.Bloggs
12th Dec 2010, 18:59
Never trust the folks who run Wizzair, or those from the airline's true country. Sharp as knives. And unscrupulous.

XLNL
13th Dec 2010, 00:16
From what I can google Switzerland -like most EU states- have a tax rule preventing double taxation. It should mean that if you don't live in Switzerland you can reclaim (most) of your paid (income-) tax and pay it in your country of residence. This has to be a state which has an agreement with Switzerland, but I assume most/all EU states do.

Striker1812
13th Dec 2010, 08:03
Been ,there ,done that.Wizzair is full of corrupt thieves.The management can not be trusted and they treat their pilots with nil to zero respect;much worse than any other airline.

stansdead
13th Dec 2010, 09:56
Let us all look at the wild statements here, starting with this one:

"Been ,there ,done that.Wizzair is full of corrupt thieves.The management can not be trusted and they treat their pilots with nil to zero respect;much worse than any other airline."

That is difficult to be sure of. Do you mean the senior management, such as the CEO? Or do you mean the Flight Ops management? I've never been treated better or worse than I currently am. I turn up, do my job, try to do my best, be a good Skipper, lead my team and for that, I get paid on time every month. I get my days off, don't get hassled if I refuse to: fly into days off/discretion etc.

Additionally, I carry the fuel I need to. I don't get asked why I did. There is no pressure to cut corners or to take risks. My fleet manager doesn't breathe down my neck all the time. If I have to, I can pick up the phone to anybody and get an answer or support.

Never trust the folks who run Wizzair, or those from the airline's true country. Sharp as knives. And unscrupulous.

Racist, but short. I suppose we should be grateful for that small blessing.

To answer the question: Captain, Married, two kids 1-5%. Reality is about 800 to 1000 Eur a month less than before.

Has Wizzair managed cleverly to distribute it's own taxes for it's employees to shoulder?

Not true. Some months, I get deducted about 800 Euro. Then other quieter months I actually pay negative tax - i.e. I receive money back.

If you genuinely believe you are 800 - 1000 Euro worse off, I suggest you had no intention of paying tax to any authority. In that case, it is only a matter of time before you get caught.

1. You will get a piece of paper (normally around february) from the Swiss tax office attesting your revenue from the employer and the amount of tax paid.

2. If the country you live in has a taxation agreement with Switzerland (all European countries do..), you will still have to pay the difference between the tax you paid in Switzerland and what you would have paid for the full revenue in your country of residence. Should your country have lower taxation than Switzerland, you will NOT get the difference back.

3. If you were a tax nomad before this new regime and were not paying income taxes anywhere, you're screwed.

Sums it up really.

wizzkid
13th Dec 2010, 11:22
Racist? Racism is the belief that the genetic factors which constitute race are a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

I do not see anything in the post to reflect that sentiment.

"If you genuinely believe you are 800 - 1000 Euro worse off, I suggest you had no intention of paying tax to any authority. In that case, it is only a matter of time before you get caught."

And that Mr management pilot Stansdead, is none of your bloody business.

stansdead
13th Dec 2010, 12:47
Taking an ill considered swipe at a whole nations citizens trustworthyness would fall foul of most peoples judgement of what may be considered racist. Or at the very least, discriminatory.

Having been on Wikipedia (or wherever) to get a definition of racism to suit your needs after your first post doesn't wash.

Anyway, back to the topic. If you pay your taxes, you're no worse off than you already were. If you don't, you are.

And WizzKid, you're right. It's none of my business whether you pay tax or not. Either way I couldn't care less what you get up to with your paypacket. HMRC probably do though. And that is why I pay up in full.

RoyHudd
13th Dec 2010, 21:02
And, dear Stanstead, we couldn't care less what you think either. Discriminatory? Or just an opinion?

PPRuNe Pop
13th Dec 2010, 21:14
Be very careful guys, how you word your frustrations and/or your irritations. Company's are always aware that they hold the upper hand and if you are at the very least worried, perhaps you are best advised to seek collectively proper advice - that is your right. But DON'T whatever you do slag off your employer. It might turn out to be the dog that's bites.

stansdead
14th Dec 2010, 08:19
Roy Hudd,

Your post wouldn't be discriminatory, as it was replying directly to my post.

FLEXPWR
26th Dec 2010, 16:48
I think the subject is about the legality of the tax system set in place, not if Wizz is a nice place to work as flight crew.

I enjoy every day I fly with them, it does not make them "nice people". The atmosphere in the base I am is great, good lot of people and much enthousiasm.
That is without mentioning the sandwiches :yuk::yuk:

Swish266, according to your post, you just joined in August, you've drawn all these conclusions in quite a short time. You've never been called on a sby or DO maybe because you've been here a few months, I don't think you could apply your short time here as a general rule for the company. If they would never call on sby's, there would be no sby's required. I would wait and see next year to let the situation reveal itself.

New love is always wonderful, but after a few months/years, the flaws are becoming more obvious than the qualities.

Thanks to stansdead for the lecture on discrimination, a good laugh! :}

Flex

thehighflyer
27th Dec 2010, 12:13
What Wizzair is doing here is simply illegal!

Not only the taxation excercise, which is not even vaguely kosher, but also, that contracting agencies are illegally supplying pilots to Wizzair in Switzerland, WITHOUT the necessary permits to carry out that business!

It is a licensed business in Switzerland and requires 1) permits, 2) deposits with the government and 3) proof that the contracting company understands the tax and social security implication (which they CLEARLY do not) of operating the way they do!

Perhaps as a contractor you will escape any penalties imposed by the Swiss tax people, BUT, where are the tax and social security deductions going? Certainly not to the Swiss authorities ... i have checked!

Stansdead, nothing would please me more than to see your opinionated a..e dragged through a Swiss tax court, however, it will achieve nothing!

Carry on at your own peril!

stansdead
27th Dec 2010, 13:00
I don't think it would be in the best interests of CH taxpayers for an expensive court case chasing an individual, who just like you, had the changes imposed on him. Perhaps it may be better to go after the big, bad, shifty, untrustworthy, illegal senior management of the airline? If it's so illegal, you could contact the CH daily newspapers. I'm sure they'll run with your story.

I can see the headlines now: "Foreign pilots paying Swiss tax shocker - see page 83, column Z for details".