PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Turboprops?

ILblog
12th Dec 2010, 12:46
In last month's BCA is note about Annual Business Turbine Aircraft Review. They counted number of business jet accidents last year and it seems to me, that turboprops were involved in 28 accidents, while jets in six.

When I look at insurance rates for turbobrops vs. jets, turboprop rates are much higher (sometimes three times) then a jets. What is wrong with turboprops? Why they have so much accidents?

johns7022
12th Dec 2010, 22:45
I would be curious where you got the idea that a turboprop is more expensive to insure then a jet?

PLovett
13th Dec 2010, 03:11
Perchance more owner/operated turboprops than jets?

This is not to say that all owner/operated aircraft are less professionally operated than crewed aircraft but I have come across some in my time that I wouldn't trust with a paper plane let alone something that can move at upwards of 200 knots. The attributes that it takes to be a successful business man are often at variance with what it takes to fly an aircraft.

ILblog
13th Dec 2010, 06:55
I would be curious where you got the idea that a turboprop is more expensive to insure then a jet?

Because I fly and operate turboprop and jet also.

No RYR for me
13th Dec 2010, 08:04
Try a V1 cut in a turbo prop and in a twin jet and you will get a lot of respect for the Single pilot turbo prop guys out there...

My view:

Lower hour guys and gals
Older aircraft
More difficult to fly
More Single pilot ops
More owner pilots
Less sim training
More private vs commercial ops

Any combination of the above really.... :(

Dufo
13th Dec 2010, 21:13
I would add more complex and critical systems and routinely operating at performance limits, especially in winter conditions.

CaptainSox
13th Dec 2010, 22:40
100% Turbo props alot more challenging to fly than jets. Especialy single crew AOC. And some of these guys ang girls are paid a fraction of what they could earn on a jet.
Not a surprise to me. :cool:

con-pilot
13th Dec 2010, 23:43
My view:
Lower hour guys and gals
Older aircraft
More difficult to fly
More Single pilot ops
More owner pilots
Less sim training
More private vs commercial ops

I agree 100%.

SinglePilotCaptain
13th Dec 2010, 23:49
ILBlog...feel free to give me your yearly insurance premiums for the jet and turboprop you fly for comparison....

;)