PDA

View Full Version : HeliAir Monaco Crash - 3 Killed

Ned-Air2Air
9th Dec 2010, 20:16
Just heard that Heli Air Monaco lost an AS350B2 today doing work in the mountains.

Sad to hear so close to Xmas. :( :(

Three dead in helicopter crash

Three people were killed in a helicopter accident near Breil-sur-Roya Tuesday.
Helicopter in Monaco
A Heli Air Monaco chopper was involved in the accident

The aircraft came down in dense fog between 3.30pm and 4pm, and all three passengers aboard the Héli Air Monaco flight died when the chopper crashed not far from Piène-Haute in the Roya valley.

The three men were heading near Breil-sur-Roya to measure damage caused by falling rocks in the area. They were last seen around 3.25pm hovering over the place where a landslide had occurred earlier in the week, before vanishing into the fog.

Local resident Hugo Gargari reported hearing a deafening noise over Piène-Haute some minutes later. A huge search and rescue operation was mounted, with the crash site being discovered around 8.30pm that evening. At 10.30pm the authorities confirmed that the three men had died in the crash.

Amongst the dead was Vincent Bestagno, 32, a geologist for the Alpes-Maritimes Conseil General. Eric Ciotti, President of the Conseil General paid tribute to Mr Bestagno “It deeply saddens me to announce the death of a brave and brilliant geologist.” Ciotti said.

Pilot Franck Malcahux and Jérôme Maupomé, of Heaven Climber Méditerranée also lost their lives in the accident.

9Aplus
9th Dec 2010, 20:38
RIP

METAR, single engine, VFR :sad:

SHortshaft
10th Dec 2010, 01:55
Ned....,

“before Xmas”, or just after Hanukkah or the Islamic New Year...What does time of the year have to do with it? It is a tragedy that we have to keep having people die to remind us that doing this kind of thing is not only a great tragedy it is killing our people and our industry.

It may be a temporary boon to the helicopter manufacturers who may be able to sell a replacement aircraft but if we keep crashing machines it will lead to greater restrictions, less sales and less jobs.

Is this the ‘silly season’ or what? We seem to be losing at least a machine a week at the moment.

Take it very careful out there!

mfriskel
10th Dec 2010, 05:08
Losses of family and friends are always hard. Near the holidays it is even a bit harder, and a bit more sad. It is also a painful reminded every year as the families will remember the Christmas season was when they lost their loved one.

Mark

aegir
10th Dec 2010, 08:05
it seems the helicopter was an Agusta A109 S
Trovati i cadaveri dei tre tecnici a bordo dell’elicottero precipitato ieri in Francia | Direttanews.it (http://www.direttanews.it/2010/12/08/trovati-i-cadaveri-dei-tre-tecnici-a-bordo-dellelicottero-precipitato-ieri-in-francia/)

edit:
the photo published on the internet site above refers to the accident of an Hems helicopter the 22-08-2009 in Italy.
So probably the helicoper involved in Heliair monaco accident it's an Ecureuil

iuk1963
10th Dec 2010, 11:15
I might be wrong but the picture reminds me a different crash occurred earlier this year in Italy. I wonder if the "media" just used an old photo from its archive!..

alouette
10th Dec 2010, 11:52
That A109 picture dates back to an accident in the Dolomites earlier this year, and has no connection to the accident in France...newspapers...