PDA

View Full Version : Near miss Melbourne Virgin Blue vs Qantas, Sunday 5th

mickjoebill
8th Dec 2010, 16:59
Virgin Blue 737 and a Qantas 767 during Sunday afternoon’s near miss while climbing away from Melbourne Airport as being as little as 28 metres. Ben Sandilands, Plane Talking.
Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/)

The State of Victoria has had some lucky escapes in recent times, lets hope the luck continues.

Mickjoebill

Aerozepplin
8th Dec 2010, 23:17
The news report I saw detailed it as "another incident for Qantas".

Sometimes you can only laugh.

Jabawocky
8th Dec 2010, 23:18
Surely not........ chances are "Vanishingly Small"

:E

Capn Bloggs
9th Dec 2010, 00:28
Big twin to little twin: "get outta the way, I'm comin' through!".

PLovett
9th Dec 2010, 00:56
............and just how accurate is the representation on WebTrack? ;)

This may have been further apart than shown.

Jabawocky
9th Dec 2010, 01:13
Plovett

It must be pretty close to accurate, watch any of the tracks and they all take the same groove, just as the aircraft do.

If you zoom in and watch for the moment where the VBA stops (which we are sure it did not) the distance was around 3km, and the ATSB say 1.9nm so it is close enough for our discussion purposes.

Looks like the 767 gets an RA and descends from around 9700 to 9000'.

Maybe they busted an altitude.

Time will tell.

PLovett
9th Dec 2010, 03:22
G'day Jaba, not denying they got close and if the ATSB says 1.9 then I am not going to disagree. :=

Since finding these WebTrack thingies I have seen some fairly close calls but not between RPT. I recall seeing two light aircraft come within 100 metres while their images were superimposed. :eek:

Interesting that the 767 was moving so much more quickly than the 737 and climbing faster as well. I would have thought that in the terminal area they both would have been 240 - 250 knots. :confused:

breakfastburrito
9th Dec 2010, 04:52
PLovett, I suspect a light 767 vs a heavy 737NG could make enough of a difference to the rates of acceleration for cleanup then to 250Kts & subsequent climb rates to make things tight. This is only conjecture, the ATSB report should clear it up.

Chief galah
9th Dec 2010, 06:16
Tracks aren't shown above 10,000ft, which is why the VB jet disappeared.