PDA

View Full Version : More likely to get a job if bi-lingual?

FlyingPhilA
7th Dec 2010, 21:56
Title says it really.

Am I more likely to get a job if I speak 2 languages fluently.

Those are German and English

Gafanhoto
8th Dec 2010, 00:05
looking out for the job market you can see air berlin asking for frozen atpl w/ "just" the requirement of german speaking.... so, i think it is an advantage.

darkroomsource
8th Dec 2010, 04:00
There are definitely advantages to being bi-lingual.
English is usually required at just about any air carrier.
Sometimes German is required for a specific carrier.
But then, if bi-lingual is good, tri-lingual is better, and quad-lingual is even better, and quinti-lingual is better still.
So maybe you should study another three languages before you try to get a job. wink!

I-AINC
8th Dec 2010, 06:54
You're lucky because you're English and you don't have to study it. I already know English and Italian but I don't have a job.

pilot hans
8th Dec 2010, 07:37
What a stupid question, is there any place/job in the world where its a disadvantage...

Me I'm e worst pilot ever but since i speak 3 languages they still give me the job :-)

INNflight
8th Dec 2010, 08:30
As mentioned, the more the merrier. Plenty of English & German speaking peeps out there with shiny licenses and no job. That alone won't help you score, but expand your options.

darkroomsource
8th Dec 2010, 08:51
is there any place/job in the world where its a disadvantage
Exactly!
So why not get 10 or 20 languages under your belt before you try to get a job flying.
Meanwhile, that will leave those of use that speak one, two or three languages and are willing to settle for that, able to go find a job.
:toung in cheek:

MartinCh
8th Dec 2010, 22:30
Except maybe Namibia, I can't see the advantage of German elsewhere as non-national since the German speaking countries definitely prefer own folks and if not, then FULLY fluent. Sometimes people confuse basic grasp with fluency and technical language skills.

I'd like to improve my aviation French (as well as general stuff) but I guess it'd have to wait till being in Canada, Africa or some tiny French speaking island. I wish. :)

These days, it's not as much about English native speakers speaking other language, but minor language or Spanish/Chinese/French speakers being fluent in English, I'd say.

Eddie_Crane
8th Dec 2010, 23:01
I think the general idea is that an extra language won't help you in the English speaking countries. It is certainly different in other European countries where another language is required, e.g. French (AF), German (LH), Dutch (KL), etc etc, don't speak the "lingo"..no job, so I would think yes, you are advantaged if you speak the language.
One that comes to mind right away where the language isn't required but might help: DHL at Leipzig, I believe their recruitment site says "German would be advantageous".

P.S. edited to add: agree with MartinCH, generally language required means fluent knowledge not "scholastic grasp".