PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Models In Manila

General Dweedle
7th Dec 2010, 13:52
Does anyone have a contact groupwise or email for the guys in Manila who do the CX models.Thanks Guys

Jn14:6
7th Dec 2010, 15:12
Don't have any contact info for the makers, but the CX engineers generally have a 'stock' of CX models in their ramp van!

goneferrying
7th Dec 2010, 15:14
Luther Ann A. Aquinde
Cathay Aircraft Mechanic

[email protected]

Mobile 0927-7856843

nitpicker330
8th Dec 2010, 02:36
Yes the MNL Engineers will help you but........

They aren't the best models I've seen. Although they carve them by hand a do a much better job than I ever could I wouldn't bother buying one.

Buy the "premium" model from the shop in CX City if you want a good model. They are pretty realistic, much better than the MNL ones.

Arfur Dent
8th Dec 2010, 06:45
Models in Manila are very nice and at least you're helping a local craftsman rather than oiling the wheels of another Swire enterprise which doesn't really care if you buy it or not.

cyrex
8th Dec 2010, 07:00
the plastic models in cx city are rubbish... and plus how often can u get a handcraft scaled wooden model for a relatively good price ?

nitpicker330
8th Dec 2010, 07:41
I've bought lots of Manila wood models in the last 20 years and I admire their hard work and talent.

BUT, if you want the model to actually look exactly like the real deal then you'll have to buy the CX model. The CX "Premium" models are very popular with collectors all over the world.

On the MNL 777-300ER AWC (KPF) for example it is not built in correct proportion at all, too short and more like a 200, the cockpit windows look crap and the Fin looks more like the Fin on a 787!

So, if you're not fussy about the look of the model then fill ya boots.:ok:

Captain Dart
8th Dec 2010, 19:02
I agree that the Manila models are not brilliant. A common error is incorrectly proportioned cockpit windows, very noticeable as they are the 'face' of the aircraft. Ditto the Cathay City 'Premium' models although their A330 is reasonable.

The plastic model manufacturers, Revell etc, make very good kits in various scales but for years, bizarrely, Cathay Pacific would not allow their livery to be reproduced by decal manufacturers (while other airlines got free publicity from the modellers and collectors). I understand that that has been relaxed and that if you manufacture Cathay decals you will no longer get an agressive call from a lawyer; can anybody confirm this?

nitpicker330
8th Dec 2010, 21:54
CX are still very anal about whom they let make and sell their models. Unlike most other Airlines you must be licensed to do it.
That makes it hard to source decent models, especially the 1:400 versions.

CX marketing dept drip feed the models slowly over time.

If you want a good CX model that CX haven't yet done then look at Phoenix, they make a few versions of the 772/773/773ER/744 in 1:400 diecast.

Some How I'm Tired
9th Dec 2010, 00:32
I had a very specific model of a one off aircraft made via CX engineer EJ Cardema in Manila. I don't know who made the model, but I gave web links of photographs to him, and it turned out perfect! Wasn't cheap (ie. they weren't just adding a paint job to a generic aircraft), but I was absolutely satisfied with the way it turned out.

D.B.er
9th Dec 2010, 01:51
two dragonair captains have set up a company to build very scale very large ducted fan A330s. it is at setthrust.com and you can see some flying video there.

treboryelk
9th Dec 2010, 03:33
manila made 744 was pretty good too!

though the box it came in was about 2 inches bigger than the carry on dimensions...so the pricks at CLK made me dump the box and carry the unboxed aircraft all the way to heathrow.

if i had not had a 'well F*** you' response, giving them the box, i might have just torn a couple of strips off the box!

nitpicker330
9th Dec 2010, 06:07
The ducted fan A330's look fantastic!!

good job boys.......

Now if only I can buy one before the misses finds out!!

slatch
10th Dec 2010, 00:20
Best place I have found is in Angeles City. Aim High Model Airplanes. I have bought many models from them over the years including Cathay Pacific B777, B747-400 and a L1011. Models run $50. They build custom models in minimum lots of 5.

http://www.aimhighmodelairplanes.com/index.html

treboryelk
10th Dec 2010, 01:40
+1

Though I know I would probably crash and burn on maiden flight!